I think, everyone should be required to give infomation about themselves.

This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 4:26 AM

Good Morning HoneyBeads,  you bring up some things I had forgotten about.  And I see nothing wrong with your decisions.  I may be a amateur in the 'making your own' jewelry world, but I am not in the world of the internet.  I have tried to be a positive force and with that comes some not so well intended people.  I do and have owned web sites and have managed web sites for others.  I know a great deal of what kind of people are out there.  I won't get in to the headaches of just running one and will end this with a very positive side.  I have made some wonder cyber friends and have learn much Big Smile

Thanks!

~Francie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 8:20 AM

Thanks ottercat :)

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
SegBead wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 11:57 AM

I contemplated my bio and pic for a while before deciding I'd rather stay somewhat anonymous. While I have nothing to hide- I do have affiliations in the industry and for the sake of not wanting those affiliations to effect my communication with members, I'd rather not broadcast them.

Along those lines, I find I get more honest (sometimes brutally so- that's good though) answers and more open conversations. I'm not looking to 'put one over' on anyone, it's simply a desire for unadulterated communication and  the open, honest exchange of ideas.

That aside- Many many prisons throughout the country have art/crafts/hobbyist facilities. Obviously, materials are monitored and orders scrutinized upon delivery to ensure nobody is getting their hands on anything that poses a serious threat (knotting awl anybody? Eek!)  and generally inmates given access to the material and areas as a privilege, much like prison libraries, excercise equipment, and computer/TV access. I've had many great customers who were incarcerated in both Women's and Men's prisons. Like beaders on the outside, inmates bead for a variety of reasons from a simple hobby, to making jewelry to sell.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 7:47 PM

I've given it some thought and decided to go more anonymous as well. Maybe I'm too naïve. I just get paranoid from all this talk. Especially after what's happening to Honeybeads.

Sorry! Sorry Ottercat, for trying to make you post a picture of yourself. It's naive and silly. I'd love to see a nice ottercat!

Greetings from SeaBeads.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:26 PM

Oh!My! Gosh! I am so sorry to hear your story. Wow!. you know my kids are right, I am too trusting for my own safety.

OK! folks, this is me: I will never look at a bio the same ever again.! Wow!

I just never have thought outside "My trusting box"...

(Embarrassed this is where I will sit down and shut up) How aweful, just didn't  think of the things you mention, I am really sorry!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:28 AM

No harm done, SeaBeads.  In a perfect world, posting my photo wouldn't be a problem, but from what I'm seeing lately (spammers infiltrating the Readers Photo Gallery, old threads, etc.), on our site alone -- not a good idea.  It's a shame, but that's how it is.  I bothers me that our site isn't more secure, but with increased security comes less freedom.  Just be careful what you post.  Love your new avatar -- great choice!

Much to my surprise, there is such an animal with that nickname (ottercat) -- a marine otter (different from the sea otter and the river otter, but related).  I put 'otter' (playful) & 'cat' (watchful) together because each animal means something to me; the coffee cup -- my favorite beverage.

Ottercat Coffee

01-10-13 (0327 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:56 AM

Speaking for myself (Ottercat) -- Gyspy Mary, unless you (or someone close to you) have experienced what some people are capable of.........; have been in some 'unfriendly' situations, but survived (with help).  I'm glad that you have such a good heart -- just be a bit more careful.  Sometimes it takes a conversation like this to remind ourselves that not everyone has our best interests at heart  --or-- not everything is as it seems.  Now I'll get off my 'soapbox' Embarrassed .......

Ottercat Coffee

01-10-13 (0355 PST)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 2:09 PM

Sarah:

I've finally caved in.  Guess it just doesn't pay to be kind anymore, does it?  I've also modified my bio to remove any mention of where I live.  It is sad that people are this way now.  Personally, I feel it's because so many have turnes away from God, and think they can "run the show."  Of course, that's my opinion.  Hope you enjoy my new picture.  It's my "infamous" Partly Sunny Necklace.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 4:36 PM

Val, don't give up on being 'kind' -- just be more careful.  There are many good people in the world -- moral & ethical & caring (atheist, non-atheist, etc.).  I love your new avatar -- especially the blue stones.

Sarah Coffee

01-10-13 (1435 PST)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 8:23 PM

Yeah, it's just sometimes I get lulled back into wanting to believe the best of people, and the way our world is right now, I'd be safer believing the other way 'round.  It's difficult, because that's not how I was taught.

That piece is displayed in the Gallery, along with the story behind it.  There are over 100 of those Carribean blue crystals painstakingly wire-wrapped to that necklace!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 6:54 AM

Hi, Val:

It's a balancing act -- sometimes believing the best of people brings out the best in them; and sometimes not.

Thanks Val.  I took a look at your necklace/avatar -- lovely!  That's my favorite blue Big Smile.  Talk about patience -- worth the effort!  A sketchbook is a good idea; if I don't write the idea down, I forget it.  I'll have to check out the rest of the readers showcase.  Thanks again, for sharing Big Smile.

Sarah Coffee

01-11-13 (0453 PST)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 8:46 AM

Val, I know what you mean. I want the world to be kind and friendly but its really not at all. I'm working every day on beeing a better person than I was yesterday because I do believe that making the world a better place, starts with  yourself. 

But at first I tought that good meets good. But actualy beeing good attracts very bad people also because they think they can walk all over you! 

As I said, I don't want to scare anyone but I found out that this is true, and I feel sorry it is that way. But as long as there are bad people in the world we all should be careful and think about the things we do. Not because we are bad people or have something to hide or that we are paranoid! But because its a fact that bad people try to hurt good people every day. And that our privicy on the internet is not a fact but a fake word that makes us feel comfortible.

I think I can tell you this now as you can just google it, I subscribed to a pregnancy forum. When I googled myself I found litterly every sentence I wrote out there on the internet. Word by word. So this week I set my settings to private and I asked to remove my account after that. But the internet search will keep on to this information a long time, and I hope it will disappears at all some day. But at that time I felt safe and I never thought that it would end like that. I told very personal information about myself and it is just on the net like that.

And to answer your question right away, yes I have a son and he is almost 2 years old :) And yes that is the only thing I will tell about him. And maybe that I love him to bits. He is my everything :)

Try to google yourself I was shocked how much of me was out there on the net to read for everyone! Even this post will show up if I google HoneyBeads now. And thats why you should always keep in mind, whatever I say it could be there to read for just anyone. Even if you have nothing to hide.

Any picture with your name on it shows up. That is mostly because of that tagging think, it freaks me out! I always ask people to remove there tag of my name, because I will be everywhere on the net.

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 3:28 AM

Honeybeads: I still practice random acts of kindness, because every so often, it does pay off, and you get someone who really appreciates it and passes it along.

There actually isn't all that much about me to Google, believe it or not.  I've kept such a low profile all these years that there's not much to see.....unless you want to pay mega-bucks to one of those search agencies.  Then whatever you find is A) going to be way out of date, and therefore, useless  B) anything current is going to be very sketchy, because my address is a PO Box, and my home phone number is not only unlisted, it's unpublished (there's a difference; if you want true privacy you have to do both) so my phone number can NEVER be given out by information.(I could sue the phone company and win if it ever happened) and C) you might get directed to my FB page but you're not gonna get anything out of that, either because I have it set on their highest settings, and I won't let my friends tag me.  (my family knows better.)  So it's pretty slim pickin's.  That just boiled down to paranoia, plain and simple.  When I was living elsewhere, I was foolish and didn't have an unlisted, unpublished number, so I was phone stalked once.  Something I never want to live through again.  Sadly, the  gvt. spies on everything we do, whether we like it or not.  But I thumb my nose at them.  They can kiss my butt!

That's horrible about that forum.  I hope that's not the case with this one.  I'm guessing not, 'cos no one has ever said anything to me.  So I'm going to remain optimistic that there are some good sites out there, just as there are some good people.

Sarah: I'm glad you liked it!  That necklace almost did me in!  I wouldn't wire-wrap for a week after it was completed!(lol)  A sketchbook is handy to have because you never know when inspiration is going to strike!  You'll be able to see some of my other pieces there, too.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 11:04 PM

there is still alot of "Good Folks" on this website. I am on more forums, than 10 people should be on. I learn from all of them. and I am a hopeless, on "Seeing the Good". .. I don't have small children( or small grand children) .. I live in a small town.

So, I still live in the "Dark Ages" where neighbors help each other. I have wonderful Neighbors. ..

I sympathize with those who live in a different world than a small towm.

Now I am off to google myself and find out what the "Rest of the world knows about me" and if its true or false.

Zip it! Stay Healthy and Happy!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 13, 2013 2:24 AM

Thanks Mary, I really needed that.Smile

We are starting to make our travel plans for this year.  Obviously, I couldn't go anywhere last year because I was so hideously ill.  We're going to reserve a spot for our camper at Klute Park in Watkins Glen for the summer ( right on the southern tip of Seneca Lake), and we are deciding whether we want to go back to King's Dominion in Richmond again this year, or perhaps this go-round we might go to Williamsburg, and hit Busch Gardens.  We're also cosidering a trip up to the St. Lawrence River later in the summer.  We kinda have to start making plans early, on account of my father is NOT a spontaneous kind of guy!Confused  Have any ideas where you might want to go this year?

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS