I think, everyone should be required to give infomation about themselves.

This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 10:16 PM

This is my last post for this year. Everyday in the news, we hear about people who go online, and pretend to be someone they are not.

Well count me odd, old fashion, or just old.Smile  I like to see the person(person's photo) and know who they are, where do they live. (not their house # or city, but at least what country they are in)

With so many of the "New Members" there is no bio, we could be communicating with a convict in Prison.(They do have internet priviliges)

Okay, I maybe dense, but if anyone wants info about you, and your on the internet, it is simple to check out your IP addresss. so, what is the big secret!

Ok, just my opinion.

Happy new year

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 11:25 PM

Stalkers and harassers come in many shapes and forms. I agree it's nice to have a face and a name to match, but I guess somewhere along the line I've adjusted to talking to a bracelet named Gwen. :) Wishing you and everyone here, Happy New Year.

TC

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 1:09 AM

TC, not to make light of a serious concern that we all should have..........but a bracelet named Gwen. I am in total hysterics here.

Gypsy Mary, I think as long as we are cautious about what info we hand out, we are relatively safe. and that is only "relatively" safe. I have been on the net since 1995 or 96 and so far so good. I've never signed up for services like Facebook for that reason, you have to give too much info. If I do a search on myself, very very little turns up and I aim to keep it that way. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
SewSewBeader wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 11:44 AM

I Love it! "A Bracelet named Gwen"..

I have been on the internet since the "Mayflower"Embarrassed   I have been on BD for years. never thought about the bio.

so just for you GyspyMary, I put in my bio.Wink 

I admit, I enjoy just reading the bio 's sometimes...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
SewSewBeader wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 11:44 AM

duplicate post plz delete

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,716
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 4:19 AM

Mary:

You've got some good points.  I have to confess, whe I first joined BD a couple years ago, I was a little hesitant about posting my pic and my bio, but then I thought, hey!  I can be as specific or as general as I want to be about my location, just like with my FB page.  Facebook isn't the highlight of my life, but I don't live on it, and I have it set to the highest security settings possible.  What the public is allowed to view is next to nothing.  As for Twitter?  Forget it!  IMHO, Twitter is the devil!  I don't have an account, don't know how to use it and don't want to.  From what I could tell, there's no privacy on Twitter AT ALL!

Getting back on tangent, I figured my bio would be used to tell others how I became interested in beading in the first place.  Logical,yes?  And you're right about the prison convict thing, though I'm not sure why they'd be interested in us.  They'd have a pretty tough time making jewelry since all the stuff we use would be on on their off-limits list.  But that's me, and I've been wrong more times than I can count.Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 12:32 PM

Val, while I believe you are correct about prisoners not being "interested" in us a person looking to hijack an identity would have no qualms about tapping into any source. Also, I know of two gentlemen in prison who design and make beaded jewelry and sculptural objects..........so I guess at a certain point or place, they would be allowed to have both beads and needles. And both of these guys make some awesome items. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 9:11 PM

Did just do mine :).  I hope I did not make anyone uncomfortable.  It is a scary world.  For me, I was just so interested in what you all were making and sharing on those things, I kept forgetting. :). Happy, almost, New Year!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,716
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 3:36 AM

Wow, Donna!  Seriously?  Guess they must have to be under guard to make sure they don't haul off with stuff.  That never occured to me.Huh?

As for hackers, yup, I know what you mean.  I've had spammers hack me a few times. It's been a big pain in the butt.  But I have a special signature for my email(Yahoo lets you set up a seal, if you want one; I have it) that hackers can't replicate, so my family and friends know if they don't see that signature, it's not from me and to isolate and purge it.  I have a seriously obscure password now  that would take forever to figure out, with capital letters and symbols and numbers.  You know how the old saying goes: "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

And on that cheery note, Happy New Year!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 4:15 AM

Okay, guess I'll have to find a new avatar -- an ottercat? piece of my work? myself?  How did the rest of you decide?

Stay safe and have a good 2013!

Ottercat Coffee

01-01-13 (0215 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 6:12 PM

ottercat:
an ottercat? piece of my work? myself?

Hi Sarah, happy new year! Just like Mary I like to see who I'm 'talking' too so if you ask me I'd prefer a picture of yourself. Hope you're not offended but some time ago I tried to see what you look like on your 'Sherbert On A String' post in de gallerie. You're almost visible there. Hope you don't think I'm weird!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 3:49 AM

Hi, Karin.  Happy New Year to you, too!  You're not weird Smile; and thanks for your suggestion -- I'll get my husband to take a picture of me, soon.  Have to check the gallery (to see what you saw).  I love your hat -- looks good on you.

Sarah Coffee

01-05-13 (0148 PST)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 4:09 AM

SeaBeads:
Hope you're not offended but some time ago I tried to see what you look like on your 'Sherbert On A String' post in de gallerie. You're almost visible there. Hope you don't think I'm weird!

Huh, Karin ........... that's not me -- that's my hubby Wink taking a photo of the display.  Not offended by your curiosity, either.  Not like we're just down the channel from each other, so having a current photo helps us both.  I agree with Mary (just some of us are shy (?)), but each of us should put in as much as we're comfortable with -- this is a community.

Sarah Coffee

01-05-13 (0209 PST)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 4:03 PM

Hi ladies Geeked

This is going to sound a little strainge maybe because I'm totaly in to the social media :) 

But I like my privicy a lot and I have always been that way. Since social media is the real hype, I started to protect myself even more. Almost everything is linked with each other and I don't like that at all. So for about 2 years I don't post things of my personal life at all, or it must be something anyone can know. And before that 2 years I diddn't post a lot of stuff also.

I'm really paranoid about the social media. If I go somewhere like to a party or something I always say that afterwords because I'm afraid someone breaks in to our house. Even when I have my settings almost closed for outsiders. I have to say that its not that I'm just paranoid. Somebody did try to break in to our house a few years ago. I got really scared when that happend.

And after that I read an artical about thiefes using the social media to check on other people. I started to realize that anyone anywhere can just check out what your doing at any moment of the day. Here we call it the sewer of the social world. Even when you think you are protected you really are not at all. So I don't like to post my pictures everywhere, say things about my personal life and that kind of stuff. Because people can use it against you at any time. And if I do say something, it is something that I don't mind letting everyone know.

At this moment me and my hubby have a stalker on facebook again. We know who it is, but we can do nothing about it. This person keeps making fake accounts again and again. With picture and all, if you see it at first you would think it is a 'real' person. And yes it is a real person, but not the person the account says it is. 

And with that I also want to say, posting a picture and wrighting a bio doesn't say anything. That person can be someone else and you will never know it. Even when you meet a person face to face, that doesn't say anything, the person can put up an act and you will never know it.

I hope I diddn't scare enyone :) Its not that I have anything to hide, I just don't want anyone to know. But then you know why I just post things about beading and maybe a little bit of the person behind HoneyBeads. 

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 4:20 AM

HoneyBead:

Thanks.  I think we all need to be careful -- not everyone has our best interests in mind.  I may just rethink posting my picture -- publicly.  We all have our secrets and social media is too public.  Hope you get a handle on your stalker -- another reason why I'm not fond of Facebook or Twitter.  Thanks for sharing your work here at Beading Daily.

Ottercat Coffee

01-07-13 (0219 PST)

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS