What is considered handmade jewelry?

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 16
AnnieCStudio wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 9:41 AM

This is something I've thought about for a while. Especially since I want to classify my work as handmade but it makes me wonder what are the copyright terms (or maybe I'm confusing this with photography).

For instance, I've seen people sell things and call it handmade but they did not create the beads. Just like I've seen others who have created every piece. So, I wonder if I buy my beads,string,and other equipment from a bead store to combine a bracelet can I still call it handmade because I combined different things and made my own piece or do I have credit the person or so?

Sorry, if this is a silly question just pondering about many things ~

:) Thank you in advance!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 606
shanks wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 10:18 AM

Your question can get sticky, but if you are assembling something from a series of different parts that are machine made it is still hand made.

You can take your question way back. Do you make the wire by mining the ore, smelting the ore, drawing the bar, winding the wire and then making an art object. The same can be said for glass, starting with the sand. Most articles available to assemble using machine produced products can still be classified as hand made.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
AnnieCStudio wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 10:52 AM

Thank you for the response. That does answer my question. I guess I was realizing since I currently don't work with polymer clay yet to create beads and will start buying them off markets just wanted to make sure I can still classify my work as handmade

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 11:59 AM

My only addition to that is..........if you are using a wondrous large complicated pendant out of polymer clay, I'd think about crediting the creator of the pendant. For instance.............hand made necklace made of glass beads and featuring a pendant made by ............." That way it eliminates any doubt by the buyer and if the polymer artist is well known, so much the better. If it is an average polymer clay pendant, I wouldn't bother. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 16
AnnieCStudio wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 12:07 PM

Great input Donna! Thank you! I didn't think of that, makes perfect sense :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 4:25 PM

Donna - I totally agree with you.  Whenever I purchase a pendant that I think I might use in a necklace that I may sell, I always get 1 or 2 extra of the business cards of the person I purchased the pendant from.  Then if I sell a necklace with the pendant, I give the buyer my business card (of course) and also one of the business cards of the person who created the pendant.  I let the person I am buying the pendant from know this and they always seem appreciative that I take that extra step to give them credit for their work.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Dec 28, 2012 5:23 AM

Aha~Annie I have the same doubt with you. There are so many items labeled handmade or something like Shambhala bracelets in the market. I have never figure out what Shambhala bracelets is! And I am obsessed with the concepts of "handmade" as well. But I guess I got some clue to work out my messed mind, thanks for your doubts, it is not silly at all, it is a smart question. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 16
AnnieCStudio wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 5:53 AM

Hehe, I'm glad this question was helpful for you Caroline! I thought I was over thinking it but being that most of us are more intrigued by handmade things I thought it was a good idea to learn the most we can about it.  Those Shambhala bracelets (I had to Google the name,lol) are so cool and very popular here. Maybe there's tutorials online on how to make them :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS