Questions re: Different Stitches

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Jude@19 wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 1:23 AM

Okay, first off, I'm relatively new to bead weaving but I'm very good at following printed instructions. As a result, I can make beaded jewelry up to the intermediate difficulty level. I don't just wish to bead various pieces designed by others though but to come up some of my own designs - designs I can imagine though not how to execute. 

To that end, I feel it's important to not just know how to do the different bead weaving stitches but why they're used. For example, why choose to bezel a cabochon using peyote rather than right angle? That's just one question (among many) I have about bead weaving. I really want to understand the reasons behind the different stitches. To me, it's very important. How and where can I learn more please? 

I asked this question in another forum and only had two responses. One mentioned checking out Jean Campbells Stitch Pro in Beadwork magazine and Jean writes a good column in which I've learned lots. But not enough. The other reply mentioned taking bead classes but it's not practical for me. I'd prefer to have something online that I could print out so I could refer to it until it's been hardwired into my brain. 

Thank you for any help!

Jude

Jude's-Jewels - Top quality & careful attention to every piece made!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 6:48 AM

I've had the same thoughts. I'm going to follow this post and see what others have to say. Some things just work better for shapes and for draping niccely. I can never decide what to use where and so far it just "happens" as I try to figure out a thread path for where I want the beads.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,557
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 11:31 AM

Jude, I'll start off with one thought............ beading around a cab can be done with a base stitch of backstitching or couching, sometimes an additional backstitched row is added, just depends. Starting with the next row a lot of beaders will go to peyote. But there is no reason why you can't do RAW. You will have to count the beads around and make sure they match with the pattern of RAW that you want to do. And with RAW you can make your base (for example) three beads, each side three beads and the top can be 3, or if the cab is shallow and you will only need one row of RAW to enclose it, the top can be 2 beads, thus drawing in the top to hold the cab. Cabs are also bezeled in netting...........so it is strictly up to the individual to choose.

The real answer to your question is that stitch choice is very subjective and I personally don't know where to send you to learn on the net..........but, I will make swatches when I have questions like this, the swatches can be saved or copied and labeled as to what they are, beads cut apart and returned to inventory. I recently did this when I saw a bracelet in a stitch that I don't do well as I have a hard time with the proper tension for it, so I made swatches in several other similar methods to get the look of the original. I ended up with about 8 little sections of the pattern and chose the right one. Since the original pattern was in a book, I took a large post it and wrote out my directions and bead sizes, etc. and put the post it in the book. It is still the author's pattern, I just executed it differently, so I could not take credit for it if I wanted to.

Dimensional beading I've always thought of as being done in peyote to compensate for the changes in sizing, but now I've seen many many items done in RAW, some in netting, etc. 

In wanting to be a designer, you just need to "play" with all the stitches. Pick a sort of simple pattern in a book or magazine and try it in several different stitches. You will find yourself challenged very quickly converting a peyote pattern to RAW for example. But the outcome might be outstanding. I don't believe that the famous designers learned any other way, especially the ladies who advanced beading to what it is today.............. they are all engineers of the highest order. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS