I'm so disappointed with some clay cabs

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 9:29 PM

I found some gorgeous clay cabs online, sold by the same girl that makes them. Geez I wanted them so badly I took a gulp and pulled out the credit card, bag the price. Glad I looked them over (online) before my final check out as I realized, if I try to bezel them, I'm going to lose important parts of the cabs. Seems I run into this a lot. The stones, etc, you still have the beauty of the stone (or gem) but these wonderfully carved ones just won't work. Guess that's something to remember when making cabs. Please! Leave me an edge!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 11:06 PM

That's why I'm learning to use epoxy clay. I can design it any way I want and set it in whatever bezel I choose.  If you check out the summer issue of Stringing 2012, and the Dec/Jan 2013 issue of Bead Style, both magazines have excellent examples of designs using epoxy clay.  Seems like you can create just as lovely a design with expoxy clay as you can with polymer.  Plus, you dont have to fiddle around with an oven and worry about anything getting burnt.Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,564
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 17, 2012 1:43 AM

tcwhit, it is just not clay cabs............ I had a pal who used to make porcelain cabs. She imported beautiful fine art and flowers in decal form, then she'd cut and manipulate the decals for custom decorations on these porcelains. They were utterly gorgeous, but after working my beads around them, I was sad to see part of the beauty hidden. So when I'd order from her I'd have her leave me a small clear margin around the design so that my bezel made of beads didn't hide the gorgeous designs. I think originally most people just pur the cabs into metal frame settings and then us wacky beaders started using these cabs. It does pay to look over an order before pushing the button. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS