Crimp covers

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Dec 16, 2012 1:41 AM

Hi everyone. I would like to know what you guys think about not putting crimp covers on crimps. I can only find crimp covers in sterling silver and gold, but I use a lot of regular or darker silver and other metal findings. I am not very fond of mixing silvers, but lately i've had to.Do any of you not use crimp covers on your necklaces and bracelets? Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 10:30 AM

I seldom us crimp covers, but I use the magic crimper. It makes the crimp look like a 2mm ball.

I have seen the covers in copper however I have not looked for other metal colors.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Dec 16, 2012 1:35 PM

Hi sue, I also use the magic crimper, but i just wanted to know if it needed an extra finish. Thanx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 6:48 PM

I use crimp covers.  I've found brass and silver ones at Michaels and AC Moore, and you can get brass, silver, copper and gunmetal from FMG.  Hmmmm.....maybe I should get one of those Magic Crimpers...............

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 9:26 PM

I won't make any jewelry without crimp covers.  The use of crimp covers and wire guards make handmade jewelry pieces look professionally finished, which is the look I want in the jewelry I have for sale.  I do know that they make crimp covers in copper, brass, silverplate and goldplate.  If the jewelry you're making is just for you, then I don't think using crimp covers matters.

The other thing to keep in mind is if you are using crimps (I don't mean crimp covers) of a metal other than sterling, those crimps don't hold very well.  Sterling crimps are soft but they harden when crimped, making the hold on the beading wire much stronger.  When you use crimp covers to cover them, you can use the stronger sterling crimps in ALL of your jewelry and use crimp covers in any metal you desire.Big Smile

I have used the magic crimper before and didn't like how the crimp bead came out.  These of course are just my own opinions!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
on Jan 5, 2013 12:49 PM

you can sometimes use a magic marker to darken the too bright crimp cover.

Laurie

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS