Cute Cats Wearing Jewelry Beads

This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 22, 2012 3:25 AM

Smile  I seem to have an ear for them.  Plus it gives me great pleasure to make people happy by learning their language.  I've been wanting to learn Mandarin, as my pain management physician is originally from Shanghai, and thought it'd be fun to speak to her in her native language.  So you speak Mandarin?  I think only Chinese from Hong Kong speak Cantonese, correct?  Oh!  That reminds me!  I know a few words in Japanese, too, as a very dear friend of mine, Matsushima-san, is originally from Japan.  He runs a Japanese restaurant here where I live.  Excellent food!  I am very partial to Asian cuisine.

I would be happy to teach you American, if you like.Smile  American really is a different language from English.(lol)  My English cousins agree!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Dec 27, 2012 1:16 AM

It sounds so great,  we have common interests!! There is truly great pleasure to learn from others on their language and culture!! I can't believe that you have had so many experiences to get acquaintance with people of different cultural backgrounds and have had so many foreign friends, it is really awesome to know about the world beyond us!! Thanks very muchSmile. I am learning American through U.S dramas, songs, news, lectures, interviews and so on. It is perfect to learn American from you to get rid of my Chinglish!!Wink

We Chinese speak Mandarin, so do countless dialects due to different geography. Chinese from Hong Kong do speak Cantonese, and others from Macau and Guangdong, Guangxi provinces in mainland speak Cantonese (which I am really bad at ) as well.My Japanese is in the primary level and I am trying to mater it as well. :) It is very happy to known from you, thanks for your kindness!! :)

So I guess you are now in you Christmas holidays, Hope you have wonderful days, spend time with those you love, lots of laughs and hugs and may 2013 be your best year ever!! :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 5:36 AM

I am so fascinated by different cultures.  I like to get a good understanding of why people do what they do. (I should have been an anthropologist!)  That's the great thing about the Internet; it lets me travel where I might not physically be able to go.  BTW, I have an adopted brother from Kenya.  He is a priest.  We met nearly 20 years ago and became fast friends.  My family decided he was definitely "one of us," and we umofficially adopted him.  He is godfather to my youngest niece, so he really is family now!  I introduce him as my Kenyan brother and he introduces me as his American sister!  His name is Fr. Lawrence Mbogo.  He's been teaching me Swahili.

Chinglish, that's funny! (rotfl!)  Never heard that term before, but I like it!  I'll have to mention it to Dr. Fang when I see her next.  She'll like it.  She's originally from Shanghai Province.  She still has family there but she likes it here, she says.  Now, if there's anything in particular you need to know the meaning of, let me know.  We speak with different accents, depending on what state we live in, or, if you're like me, who was born and grew up in Virginia, then was moved upstate to Upstate New York, you have a very bizarre little hybrid accent!

Yep, having a wonderful Christmas.  Hope you are too, if you celebtate.  I sure hope 2013 will be better; this year has NOT been fun!  What will the Chinese New Year be?  Year of the rooster? the ram? the bull?

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 2, 2013 4:32 AM

Wow~ Thanks Val, If I had difficulties on langue learning, I will let you know. Big Smile

The word Chinglish was invented just for fun according to word formation of English, but it is really a fun langue phenomenon that one's habits would affect the aqusition of a second language,  another example of Chinglish is "long time no see" that is derived from Chinese "Hao Jiu Bu JIan" and have been used in China widely now, which means haven't see each other for a long time, I guess you can dig it if you are interested. :)

I have just spent my new year's day, and I have a three-days holiday. It is now the year of Snake in Zodiac, and our Chinese Lunar New Year is in 10th, Feb, 2013, it seems that soon we will have our the most important festival. Wink 

Well, it's time to have a meal now, hope you enjoy the delicious food as well! :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 3:07 PM

Oh yeah, "long time no see" is American slang, and has been around forever! (lol)

Ooooo, the Year of the Snake!  That'll be inspiration for some serious jewelry, huh?  I'm actually terrified of snakes, even the common garter snake.  I can thank my brother for that, the meanie!  When we were little, he found a great big snake that had died, and chased my sister and me around the house with it.( I didn't know it was dead!)  Been terrified of them ever since.  Thanks, Joe!Confused

Whay festival will you be celebrating soon?  Is it something fun?

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 3, 2013 3:10 AM

Aha~the brother was naughty enough at that time!! In fact I have the similar experiences when I am a child, and I am afraid of snake right now, the moment I saw the snake-like patterns, chills would grab me immediately!!

But jewelry industry take it as a big inspiration in both the Western and Eastern world, I guess this year various jewelry or dolls would be launched soon, if I found some very funny one, I will show it here soon! :)

The next festival we would celebrate is then the Chinese Lunar New Year, all if us is anticipate for it with piety spirits, cause people who are far away from home would finally have a reunion with his family, in fact it has been evolved into something not that funny but some bitter story as far as I am concerned. However, in the past time, it would be bustling with hilarious noise and everyone would love the end of the year because of the big harvest, and I am sorry I forget about some of the past activities, I would tell it after learned more story about the funny part.

Oh, by the way, days closed to the new year would witness thousands of marriages of the new couples, I do believe this is the most funny part, my brother would have his wedding as well, I guess I can "report" it as well, please just be patient and keep waiting, it will be of much fun!! Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 11:02 AM

Boys!Confused  Our brothers certainly drove us up the wall back then, didn't they?

Oh, ok Lunar New Year.  Is that when they have the dancing dragon going through the streets.  I've seen that on television; the dancers must have to so atheletic to work the dragon in synchronicity.  Shame that it's not the fun celebration it's supposed to be any more.  Maybe it's time it was joyful again.

Sounds like you're going to have a very good time for Chinese New Year this year!  Are you going to make your own jewelry for the wedding?  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 4, 2013 4:02 AM

Wink Looks that you have learned so much on different cultures, well done!! The dragon dance do require coordinated actions of dancers, the one you watched on TV is in fact far more fascinating than that in the real life. Anyway, performance of a dragon dance and opera on an open-air stage in our hometown is still worth watching. :)

Yeah, this year I was obsessed with ideas of making some handmade jewelry for my brother's wedding, and I am still think about the wedding ideas to make it different from stereotyped ones, I guess this is all I can do for him as a sister. 

They are about to have a Chinese wedding, thus a wedding custom like this would be selected! The head decorations would be the main point I am thinking about, it might be not that easy to make the design, but I'll try. :)

Decoration

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 2:16 AM

Aw, thanks!Embarrassed  I never get tired of learning about different cultures.  When I was still able to work, I had a friend at work who was from Korea and she was surprised at how much I already knew about her country and that Seoul was a really huge, metropolitan city, and that even the town of Uijongbou was a beautiful, modern city now.  I confessed to her that I minored in history in school, and that I still enjoy learning about my world, which is one of the good things about computers!  My philosophy has always been: learn as much as you can about a different culture.  It helps you understand them, respect them, and if you're lucky enough to go there, they're impressed that you took the time to get to know them!  That fosters a mutual respect, and I've found quickly leads to friendship.Smile

That is an exquisite headpiece!  I can't wait to see the finished result.  I definitely think you should go for it!  I think you can do it.  I understand Asian women wear very lovely, colorful silks for their wedding gowns, because there, white is a sign of mourning, as black is here.  Technically, here white is supposed to be symbolic of rejoicing, not innocence.  That's supposed to be the color blue.  But Queen Victoria of England made it fashionable almost 200 years ago and so it remains to this day.  Confused  Oh, well.  I'm really excited about seeing headpiece though.  I hope you do make it.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 5, 2013 4:00 AM

It is technically hard to collect the materials, but I'll try, the finished one might not that stunning as the picture, it might be some rough items. :)

Your philosophy of learning as much as you can about a different culture is really advisable, I do have the common opinion that it would lead to better communication!! I would do that, too!! 

Most of the Chinese young couples are more preferable for Western-style wedding, white wedding dressed in most occasions are their first chooses, and a wedding held in a church is prevail as well; while a Chinese style is not that popular as the former in fact, it is more expensive and gradually being forgotten by the youth. Storm 

Well, I would love to learn more about different cultures as well. :) 

Thanks for your warm encouragement. Geeked

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 7:21 PM

I'm sure the headpiece will turn out quite lovely.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

It's so sad that the younger generations are so determined to toss tradition to the curb.  I'm Roman Catholic, and with the exception of my sister, it's been many years since I've attended a traditional Catholic Wedding Mass, which is such a shame, because it is very beautiful.  Nowadays they want all this modern music that is completely meaningless, and the bride frequently wears a very risque weddinng "gown," if you can call it that. Marriage in the US is just too disposable now.  People don't want to work at it anymore.  It makes me very sad.  My brother's and sister's marriages are now the exceptions instead of the rules.  My brother has been married going on 22 years; my sister's been married going on 14 years.  My parents have been married going on 48 years.  I consecrated my life to the Church.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 8, 2013 4:58 AM

Yeah, I have got the scenes from some wedding website that the young generation are in favor of various themes of wedding in America, which might be due to their mind for seeking difference from the past for the unforgettable and once-in-life thing. Please do not feel sad, they would finally come back to what they are gradually far away, and there are still someone firming their belief for tradition!! For instance, though young generation in our country are now figuring various ideas of wedding, but after the prevalence of storm, many of them return to seek an traditional one, that bring the society some consolation anyway. :) 

I do love the Catholic wedding, and have watched the Tv series Friends which is my favorite one, and guess that sever weddings in the movie are in the form, which brought me the so piety feeling when watching!! Love the one you attended. 

It looks that you have a hug family, that is really awesome to have so many members to take care, really sweet!! I only have one brother who is going to marry someone soon, and other members are parents and grandparents, who are not living with I right now, I guess I would have a reunion with them after the arriving of the Annual leave. :)

And now I am finding myself someone suitable for marriage, well, that  might be a little shy about this in the Chinese circumstances in fact, this year many of my classmates get married which really shocked me in a large degree, they finished their university education in the next past year while I am still preparing for some of my examination to gain access to be educated in a higher degree, but anyway, I would bring them my best wishes then! That might be a little hurry, but I guess blind date might be the main form for me to find someone special in the following years. Wink This is how our society works. Still a little awkward to mention the stuff. Stick out tongue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 11:08 AM

Well, I hope so; traditions are something to be cherised.

Well, no.  I have an older brorther and a younger sister and that's it.  But both my parents come from families of five children, so my extended family is ginormous!(lol)

Well, I'm sure you have plenty of time, and you don't have to even get married, if you don't want to.  I'm not bothered by it at all.  I rather like it.  But then, I'm pretty independent and set in my ways, now. (g)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 9, 2013 1:29 AM

~ Thanks Val Big Smile, I am not hurry at all, just friends and families around are a little worried about, but it doesn't matter. Right now I wanna be independent and set in my ways as well.

My extended family is ginormours as well, only children in my generation do not contact with each other very much due to our striving for life, aha~

Well, thanks for letting me felt so familiar to the forum and people here, In the following days, I would talk more about beading here. 

Right I am jumping to check projects on the forum by following your steps. Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:58 AM

Meh, take your time.  Make sure you're doing what's right for you, not everybody else.

I don't really speak to my cousins all that much (they have their lives; I have mine), but I do speak to my brother and sister frequently, especially my sister.  Girl talk, you knowSmile.  I speak to my brother at least once or twice a month; I speak to  my sister sometimes as often as once a week.  She often comes to visit, as she doesn't live quite as far away as my brother does.

Good!  Glad you're feeling more comfortable.  Btw, have I told you my one of my doctors is from Shanghai?  She immigrated here a number of years ago, but she goes back every year to visit her family.  She's super-nice, and she takes very good care of me.

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS