oxidizing metal with eggs

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
mommy115 wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 6:23 PM

I just read the article about using eggs to oxidize metal.  Does anyone know if this type of oxidation would prevent the black oxidation on silver?  I love the pink and blue coloring this method gives but what is the point if it doesn't prevent black oxidation?  I wonder what it would do to tibetan silver or other base metals.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 8:29 PM

If you have a big problem with oxidation, try spraying your final product front and back with a spray like Krylon matte finish. I'd rather buy a product that is real enough to oxidize rather than some bogus mystery metal that will never change color or finish. Vintage costume jewelry sellers are always debating whether or not to take "patina" off an item, some buyers would not want it off, others want the item to be perfectly clean even though it devalues it and makes it look like any other piece of jewelry just made somewhere. It is always a matter for debate, but I'd suggest the spray finish for preserving the finish. It is not harmful to most people and will keep your product sparkly bright. D.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS