Having fun making earrings!

This post has 44 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 1:24 AM

Thank you Karin,

I am enjoying looking around seeing what everyone is doing I am impressed with the amount of time it must take to create this stunning jewellery designs from the tiny beads and the skill it takes to produce these beautiful pieces of handmade jewellery.

Julie 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 16, 2012 5:54 AM

Lovely, lovely, lovely bracelet Big Smile Karin.  You have a knack for this.  I enjoy your work.

Val -- I enjoy reading your posts.  Thank you.

Enjoy the holiday season,

Ottercat Coffee

12-16-12 (0353 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 17, 2012 12:16 AM

What fun! And what an honor to have been invited and present during his Ordination:)

I've never been to an Ordination Mass but I'll believe you when you say it's magnificent:D   (About his mom and dad, I'm sure they are in heaven)Big Smile

I'd love to see the jewelry you design for your mom! You should post some pics some timeWink   I love attending Christmas & Easter Mass, I think they are both equally beautiful. *Sigh*

Valbeads:
If you've ever sung Immaculate Mary, or Hail, Holy Queen, and I'm sure you have, you've sung Latin.  Ave Maria is Latin for "Hail Mary."  Salve, Regina is, of couse, Latin for "Hail, Holy Queen."

I guess I didn't think about thatEmbarrassed (oops!) I should say I don't know a whole lot of Latin but I do know someBig Smile

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,815
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 2:14 AM

Otter: I'm glad you enjoy my bloviating.Huh?  I know I kinda ramble, but if you find it amusing, well.....shucks!

Fantasy: oh, it really is!  The cathedral in Syracuse is one of my favorites.  It's very lovely in a very quiet way.  Of course, I've been to St. Patrick's in NYC, and even attended Mass there.  It's all very grand there and it will bring you to tears, but there is something about the streamlined, simplistic elegace of the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit that I prefer to the opulence of St. Pat's.  I'm very priveleged that we are so close that John considers me family.  Of course, the fact that we're from the same generation is a perk-- we speak the same generational shorthand, and slang, we like a lot of the same music and movies of our generation (and nowadays) and we just generally have a lot in common.  He can be a geek to me, and I'll just smack him like I would my own brother. (lol)

Okay!  I'll have to pilfer some of it when she's not looking, and photograph it to upload into my album.(g)

See?  Now you know!  Interestingly, because I'm a cantor, I've learned quite a bit of Latin.  After the new year, my chior director plans on teaching me Schubert's Ave Maria in A Minor. (I can already sing it in G; A minor is a step and a half higher)  Eventually, I'll learn it in B Flat, which is a step and a half higher still.  Good workout for my vocal cords!Smile

Christmas and Easter are my two favorite times of the year, too; especially Easter!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 20, 2012 4:34 PM

I have been in two Cathedrals. The first time I was little, it was in Denver. The second time was in Oklahoma city, we attended mass & my brother was going to be baptizedSmile Both of them were very pretty!

That's funny! Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun:)

Good luck with your singingWink

I have to go to work now. (oh boyTongue Tied) ha ha!

Fantasy!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 20, 2012 8:03 PM

What type of ear wires have you tried for yourself?  I can't wear Sterling silver or even fine silver so I am worry about customers having problems.  Recently I wanted to produce a line of $10 earrings and SS wires were too expensive, so I went looking for something I felt safe in selling.  'Surgical steel' is not  well regulated in the US, some can have nickle in them.  I found that Rings N Things have titanium ear wires.  Titanium is used in most joint replacements because it doesn't react with the body

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,815
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 7:09 AM

Fantasy: A couple of years ago, I was priveleged to make pilgrimmage to the Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady in Washington, DC.  Did you know that the Blessed mother is America's Patroness?  The Shrine is beautiful.  Inside, there is the Main Church, the Crypt Church and thirty-eight separate chapels, each dedicated to Our Lady from a different country.  In one of the chapels sits a perfect replica of the Ark of the Covenant.  My favorite Chapel happens to be the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.(rather ironic, as that's the name of my parish!)  It is a very simple chapel, but very elegant.  It's all done in green marble, with two long benches on either side.  Just behind the altar is a beautiful rendition of the Pieta.  I do not know who sculpted it, but I actually like it better than Michelangelo's.  If you're ever in DC, I highly recommend a trip to the Basilica.  You won't be sorry.

Had Holy Hour last night, and am cantoring our Penance Servace Sunday afternoon, then Christmas on Tuesday.  I'll get a bit of a break when the Christmas season ends, but not much of one.  Ash Wednesday is 2/13 this year, and Lent and Easter are even busier for me than Advent and Christmas!  Then I have a niece who's having her First Communion in either April or May.  I'm giving her my First Communion veil to wear.  Jeez, I'm getting old! (g)

Well, we're still here, so looks like those dopey doomsday people were wrong...as usual.  So that means Christmas, New Years' and the grand opening of my store!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 1:30 PM

Hi Howling Artist,

Like your name. Who are you? There's no information whatsoever about you in your profile. Oh well, I can't wear anything that has nickle in it. Indeed, not even silver. I always wear two cheap gold creoles that give me no problems and keep the holes open. Titanium would probably be an option. I'll have a look on the internet.

Thanks for your input.

@jewelrymaking11: Thanks a lot for your comment. I would love to start a website. Don't know how to go about it. I do have a domain name but didn't get very far with that in a previous attempt. I just haven't had the inspiration to spend hours and hours how to find out about these things. So I postpone it. You haven't put anything in your profile either. Are you afraid to publish information about yourself? I'd like to know who I'm 'talking' to. Is that silly?

Greetings from Karin.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 22, 2012 8:05 AM

Yeah, it's a blessing to have our Lady as the Patroness of America:)  I would love to see the Basilica, it sounds gorgeous.  I would also love to see the other shrines around the world.

Wow, sounds pretty busy.  Your parish must have a very nice music program. You must be blessed with a beautiful voice.  My brother and sister are preparing for their first Holy Communion, too.  They're nervous though, ha ha.

How many times is the world supposed to have ended?  It's very annoying.  By the way, congratulations on your new store.  Hope it goes well:) Hope you have a blessed ChristmasSmile

Fantasy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,815
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 3:41 AM

Fantasy: sorryfor the delay; I took some time away just to hang with my family; plus the carpetlayers came to install my new carpets.  Hope you had a lovely Christmas.  I did!

We are very fortunate to have Mary as our Patroness.  You should definitely make an effort to see the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception if you get the chance.  It is well woth it.  Downstairs in the Crypt (kind of a misnomer because only one person is buriwd down there; the founder of the Basilica) you can see the Holy Father's cathedra chair from when he visited the Basilica in '08.  It's very beautiful and elegant, not overdone with crazy flourishes.  I hope to be abe to return some day.

We are so fortunate to have such a vibrant music ministry at OLS.  My dad sings bass in the choir, and I am a soprano.  I use my gift accordingly; to praise Him in song.  My niece is excited about her First Communion; she'll be wearing my sister's dress and my veil.  I'll probably bawl my eyes out.Smile

OMG, I've lost count of how many times the world's supposed to end, even in my lifetime. People can be so ridiculous!  It is incrediby annoying!Angry  Well. fingers crossed for a January 2013 grand opening!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 1:19 AM

Hi, sorry I'm so lateSad

Glad to here you had a happy Christmas! We had a simple but joyful ChristmasSmile

I would absolutely like to go visit the Basilica some day. Sounds really pretty. I would also like to go to Medjugorje. I think it would definitely be worth the trip.

Hopefully your not bawling your eyes out while you're singing, ha ha!

I recently moved with my family and unfortunately in this new parish we are going to they don't do midnight Mass:( It was still really nice though.

Oh, by the way, I think my little sister is going to get hooked on beading tooBig Smile Mwa ha ha! She has been making pretty clip on earrings lately(with my help). I'll see if I can post some pics some time:)

Good luck with your store!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,815
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 11:42 PM

Hey, Fantasy:

We did, too.  I had 1000 Mass on Christmas Day, so I didn't get to go to Midnight Mass this year.Crying

You would love the Basilica.  The Main Church is very grandiose.  It has a gigantic mosaic of Jesus on the Ceiling that is actually comprised of 3000 colors!  It's quite imposing.  Trust me, if you get a chance to go, you can't miss it; kinda smacks you in the face the minute you walk in! (lol)  My favorite chapel is off the Main Church; the Chapel to Our Lady of Sorrows. (gee, I wonder why?  Couldn't be the fact that that's the name of my parish, could it?{lol} Actually, no; it's just my personal opinion, and just so happens, Fr. John agrees!)  But you have to go downstairs and see the Crypt Church; that's my favorite.  It's not nearly as grand as the Main Church, but I like simple, clean, elegant and cozy, and the Crypt Church is that without feeling claustrophobic.

I should very much like to go to Medjugorje, too, and so would my Mom.  I dunno if my doc would ever allow me to make the trip, though.  Did you know the Blessed Mother has been making appearances to a nun here in America?  I can't remember where; i'll have to look it up.  It may be in Maryland.( No surprise if it is)  I had 1000 Mass on New Year's Day for the Solemnity of Mary, Holy Hour Thursday evening, and 1030 Mass today for Epiphany.  I have 1030 Mass again next Sunday for The Lord's Baptism, Holy Hour the ollowing Thursday, and then I get a brief break for a couple of weeks, which I kinda need.  I'm getting a little tired, and I need a bit of a rest because Lent starts early this year: 2/13 is Ash Wednesday.  If you thought my Advent/ Christmas schedule was crazy, you ain't seen nothin' yet! (g)  But, such is the life of a servant of the Lord, and I don't mind.  What a shame the new parish you attend doesn't have Midnight Mass!  That's such a bummer!Sad

Ah, corrupting the siblings, are we? (lol)  Good for her!  I have a confession: I didn't think anyone wore clipons anymore!  Surprise!, Iguess.  I look forward to seeing the pics.

With a bit of luck, I'm hoping to have my grand opening at the end of the month.Big SmileYes 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 3:20 AM

So incredible!  STOP teasing me! Ha, ha!   I really hope I can see it someday.

I guess not being able to go to Midnight Mass is something we can both offer up Angel Angel  Ha, ha!!

My mom wants to go to Medjugorje as well.  You should look up a Catholic sight called "Spirit Daily".  It talks about Medjugorje and the visionaries.            

I say it's not up to your doctor, if God wants you to go then He'll make it happenWink  Plus, it's always good to have child like faithSmile

No, I didn't here about the nun.  I'll have to look it up and read about it, sounds interesting.

Yeah, I can see why you need those couple weeks off. Phew!

About the earrings, my mom & dad went to a garage sale one day and brought back quite a bunch of beading materials. (Including clip on ear findings)  And that's nice since my sis doesn't have pierced ears.  I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight.

~Fantasy~

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,815
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 2:26 AM

I hope you can too.  I think Mom, Kate and I are going to go back this year.(Katy's my sister.  I also call her Kate)  We also want to go to Emmitsburg, MD again.  That's the shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, and it's very beautiful.  It's also the Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes.  This is where the woman has been receiving visions of Mary.  I was close!  Emmitsburg is in the Baltimore archdiocese.  She is being persecuted and mocked by others, and she is being censured by the Church itself, which rather annoys me, but doesn't surprise me.Confused  They've done this to all the visionaries- to the Fatima children, to the Medjugorje visionaries(the Church is STILL skeptical about them to this day).  Look what they did to St. Bernadette!  There has to be a better way of doing this than just saying, "oh, well we investigated your claims.  We don't like you because some of what you're saying doesn't fit into our nice neat boxes, so you're faking."  That's being not only hypocritical, but just like the Phariseees of old.  But Mom and I believe she is a visionary, and we would like to meet her, if it's possible.

You think my Christmas schedule's crazy, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!  Just wait till Lent rolls around on Ash Wednesday!

Oooo, that sounds cool.  Your sister needs to go get her ears pierced!!  It's not so bad.  I'm also the only one in my family that had the cajones to get a second set put in my ears.  I'm very smug about it! (lol)  I think I'll work on some earrings tomorrow........

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
wanting wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 1:31 AM

I like the color, the earrings are blue, as the sky and the sea.

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS