Having fun making earrings!

This post has 44 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 1:25 AM

BTW, that picture is AWESOME!!!  It almost reminds me of the Holy Father, except he doesn't have a beard, and he's the Pope. (lol)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Dear Val,

So sorry I underestimated your knowledge about Sinterklaas!Embarrassed I should have known by now that you know an awful lot about the world. And about stones and jewelry. And yes, the improved health of Louis is fantastic. Although he gets severe headaches all of a sudden. Probably the aftermath of surgery and aenesthetics (no idea how to spell this and too lazy to look it up).

By the way, I forgot to ask you several weeks ago. What does SNAFU mean? And yes, we do celebrate Christmas in Holland. And on Rita. Just finished the decorating today. Always so nice because there's a lot more light on Rita at night. I'll try to take some pictures of our decorations. It's very difficult, I tried it before. Don't know why.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 11:33 PM

Hallo, Karin!

Oh, God, was I sounding like a total showoff?  I'm so sorry!Embarrassed  I read a TRUCKLOAD.  And I minored in history at university.  I love history.  I'm just so eager to know all about this big blue marble I live on.  Different cultures fascinate me.  I like to know where we came from.  I annoy the piss out of my British cousins 'cos I know their history better than they do!(lol)  The only reason I really know interklaas is because he is our own beloved St. Nicholas, and I spend a great deal of time studying my own faith history, too.  It's important to me as a Catholic to understand the history of my faith; otherwise, how can I really understand why I believe the way I do?  Plus I like to keep on learning.  I feel if I'm not learning something new as often as possible, then I get bored.

That is very likely that Louis' headaches are post-anaesthesia.  I always had vicious ones post-op.  Depending on how long I was under was how many weeks, or months it might take for them to go away.  It's a drag.

Okay, the clean version of SNAFU is: Situation Normal All Fouled Up.  I think you can guess what the not-so-clean version is!(lol)  We are in the process of decorating the house for Christmas.  Mom really likes to "deck the halls." (snicker!)  I have my dress for Christmas Mass.  It's white, of course. (or in my case, ivory.  If I were to wear stark white, I'd look like a walking corpse!  Really!)  When I'm in dress I dress according to the liturgical season.  This Sunday is Gaudete Sunday(Rejoice Sunday, basically), so I will be wearing rose pink(actually fuschia because rose makes me look dead) to signify the midpoint of Advent; to rejoice, for "the Lord is near."  The following Sunday I'll be back in purple (for penitence) and then for the Christmas season I'm in white.  In the Catholic Church, white is the symbol for rejoicing and celebration.  Father likes it very much that I dress according to the liturgical season; he says it gives nice continuity on the altar.  As cantor, I sit on the dais near the priest/celebrant, because I lead the congregation in sung worship.  I've had a lot of my friends around here complaining lately that they haven't been able to get ahold of me.  I tell them, "if you want me, you can find me in church."  That's where I spend most of my time during December; my cantor schedule gets very busy this time of year.  The only time it's busier is during Lent.  I like it that way, though.  BTW, I'm a soprano.

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 2:25 AM

I'd love to hear you sing, Val.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 277
on Dec 13, 2012 11:47 AM

Beautiful pieces!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 153
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 3:49 PM

Those are gorgeous pieces! I think the first set is my fav though.

Val: I also have my dress for Christmas MassBig Smile It's not white though, It's dark purple with beading stitched under the bust. I where a little black jacket with it.

Now I just need to find some heels to go with it.

My Easter Mass dress is pink & I where a white fur jacket with it.

Love the jewelry:)

-Fantasy Out-

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 285
Sharon Mc wrote
on Dec 13, 2012 6:40 PM

Karin, both pairs of earrings are just so beautiful and go with their respective necklaces perfectly. It's amazing that you can bead such lovely jewelry on a moving, rolling, and rocking boat! I would have a hard time just keeping my eyes in my head.

Sharon Mc

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 3:49 AM

Karin: aw, shucks! Embarrassed  Got Skype? (lol)  BTW, I can sing Silent Night in the original German- Stille Nacht.

Fantasy: sounds pretty.  It's just this odd little quirk of mine to dress according to the liturgical season.  Are you Catholic?

Val

ps- Karin- I can sing Schubert's Ave Maria in the key of G.  My choir director is now going to teach it to me in A minor, and finally B flat.(I'll be going successively higher each time.  I'm so psyched!)

pps-did I tell you I've been a musician since I was 7?  That's pretty much my whole life!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 153
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 3:06 PM

I think it's great that you dress according to the liturgical season!

And yes I am Roman CatholicSmile

-Fantasy Out-

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 10:14 PM

Oh, yay!

Yes, Father John LOVES it!  So does Father Matt.  It's such a small thing, but it really makes them happy.  And Fr. John and I have been friends for a looooooooong time.  I knew him just before he started seminary.  He's only fourteen months older than me.  We are literally just like brother and sister.  Fr. Matt is the same age as my dad.  I think he thinks I'm his daughter.(lol)

Got a nice pink sweater for Gaudete Sunday.  I've got 1030 and Noon Mass this Sunday.  I've been a cantor at my parish for 15 years.  I love singing praise to God!  Have you ever been to Midnight Mass?  It's my favorite; it's so beautiful and peaceful.  The have one of the children bring baby Jesus in to put him in the manger at Midnight.  It makes me cry every year.  Next week I'm cantoring our biweekly Holy Hour of Adoration.  I'm singing on Christmas Day at 1000 Mass this year.  I always go all out at Christmas and Easter with my outfits and accessories.  The nice thing about being a jewelry designer is I can design the jewelry specifically for my outfit so it complements it perfectly.  I don't have to run all over town like a chicken with my head cut off trying desperately to find something that might go.

I'll be singing Veni, Veni, Emmanuel this Sunday.  That's one of my favorite Advent hymns.  Thanks to being Catholic, I've learnt a lot of Latin!  At Holy Hour I sing O, Salutaris and Tantum Ergo Sacramtum.  Tantum Ergo's my favorite.  It's very beautiful.  We sing the chant version of Tantum Ergo at Holy Thursday Mass.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 1:55 AM

Hi Karin,

I am so enjoying looking around the forum and all the lovely pieces of beaded jewellery that you talented ladies are making and your designs are no exception.

I love the combination of the brown and the blue colours in these beaded earrings 

The style of the necklace is so simple and elegant and the heart bead just finishes it off perfectly these are lovely pieces of handmade jewellery that you should be proud of

Julie 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 6:33 PM

Thanks Julie!

Just visited your website. You got an impressive amount of jewelry there. Very nice.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 153
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 6:43 PM

Wow, that's really nice that you have such a good relationship with your priestBig Smile

Me and my family make it to the midnight Mass every year:) And yes, Midnight Mass is very beautiful & peaceful *sigh*.

I love dressing up for Christmas and Easter Mass'. I also love beading my own accessories to match what I am wearing (so fun!). I am very grateful that I am able to make things for my family members also. One year for Christmas Mass I made all the girls in the family some cute angel earrings and for Easter I made everyone something special to wear too.

I can't really sing myself, but I would like to here you singWink I don't know any Latin unfortunately, but I would love to learn. So I guess that's two things I need to do, Practice my singing & work on Latin, haha!

xFantasyx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 9:54 PM

Yeah, I rather like that Fr. Matt dotes on me.(g)  And Fr. John and I pick and tease each other all the time.  Since we've been friends for so long, and I knew himbefore he was ordained, I'm allowed to drop his title when we're not in church.  I was actually personally invited by him to attend his ordination at the Cathedral of The Holy Spirit up in Syracuse, and I sat in one of the front pews of the cathedral, reserved for family of those being ordained. John's mom passed away just a few short months before his ordination, and he lost his father when he was a boy.  An elderly aunt is the only biological family he has left.  So she and I were seated together.  It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  John's aunt is very plainspoken, but she's pretty funny.  She liked me very much.  An Ordination Mass is really magnificent.  I'm so priveleged to have been able to attend one.

I design my mother's jewelry fo Christmas and Easter as well.  I LOVE attending Easter Vigil Mass.  It is so beautiful. It's rather long, because we're baptizing the RCIA's, but that only makes it more meaningful.  We start the Mass in the dark and the new Paschal Candle is brought in.  We all light our canles from it and the first half hour of Mass is by candlelight.  It's so beautiful.

I'm a soprano.  Love those high notes!(lol)  As I've said to others, if you wanna hear me sing, get Skype!  You're Catholic and you haven't learnt any Latin?!  FOR SHAME!! (lol)  Only kidding.  I'm actually learning the Confetior in Latin, just for the heck of it.  When we get to the line where we say, "Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault..." the Latin translation is " Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxxima culpa."  If you've ever sung Immaculate Mary, or Hail, Holy Queen, and I'm sure you have, you've sung Latin.  Ave Maria is Latin for "Hail Mary."  Salve, Regina is, of couse, Latin for "Hail, Holy Queen."  So, see?  You knew some Latin without realizing it!Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Dec 15, 2012 9:56 PM

Yeah, I rather like that Fr. Matt dotes on me.(g)  And Fr. John and I pick and tease each other all the time.  Since we've been friends for so long, and I knew himbefore he was ordained, I'm allowed to drop his title when we're not in church.  I was actually personally invited by him to attend his ordination at the Cathedral of The Holy Spirit up in Syracuse, and I sat in one of the front pews of the cathedral, reserved for family of those being ordained. John's mom passed away just a few short months before his ordination, and he lost his father when he was a boy.  An elderly aunt is the only biological family he has left.  So she and I were seated together.  It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  John's aunt is very plainspoken, but she's pretty funny.  She liked me very much.  An Ordination Mass is really magnificent.  I'm so priveleged to have been able to attend one.

I design my mother's jewelry fo Christmas and Easter as well.  I LOVE attending Easter Vigil Mass.  It is so beautiful. It's rather long, because we're baptizing the RCIA's, but that only makes it more meaningful.  We start the Mass in the dark and the new Paschal Candle is brought in.  We all light our canles from it and the first half hour of Mass is by candlelight.  It's so beautiful.

I'm a soprano.  Love those high notes!(lol)  As I've said to others, if you wanna hear me sing, get Skype!  You're Catholic and you haven't learnt any Latin?!  FOR SHAME!! (lol)  Only kidding.  I'm actually learning the Confetior in Latin, just for the heck of it.  When we get to the line where we say, "Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault..." the Latin translation is " Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxxima culpa."  If you've ever sung Immaculate Mary, or Hail, Holy Queen, and I'm sure you have, you've sung Latin.  Ave Maria is Latin for "Hail Mary."  Salve, Regina is, of couse, Latin for "Hail, Holy Queen."  So, see?  You knew some Latin without realizing it!Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS