Hello! I'm new...and curious about Russian beading...

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
limonka65 wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 12:23 AM

Hello!  I would like to introduce myself, but before I do, I'll put my first question up front: does anyone know how I can find out about Russian beading patterns?

My name is Alaina. Three months ago, I dislocated my ankle in a freak roller derby accident, and had to have surgery.  Learning to weave with beads has saved me from depression.  Handling the beads, playing with the colors...I  weaned off meds by doing "one more row first," over and over.  I made about 15 bracelets so far, with peyote, brick (the magatamas turn out like dragon skin!), herringbone, and St. Petersburg chain.  I give them to my friends. I think about the friend while I make the bracelet, and I feel less lonely.

By profession, I write and teach at a university, mostly about Russian culture.  I think it is fascinating that beaders in the US studied St. Petersburg stich from pictures in old Soviet books.  Does anyone know more about this history, and about how these books got here?  Is anyone out there from Russia, or know any Russian beaders?

I have really enjoyed reading your posts so far!  So my second question is: what else do you like to do, and what has beading taught you about how to do those other things?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 1:23 AM

Alaina, all I can say about Russian beading patterns is that when one finds a pattern in a foreign language, not just Russian........you have to really work at figuring out how the item was made. Other than that I know someone who toured Russia and brought home book, but I'd bet you could buy them online. I just bought a book from England, easy peasy, your credit card company figures the exchange rate and does it. I don't try to figure out foreign patterns myself, I am basically a loomer. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 7
limonka65 wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 1:50 AM

Thank you!  I've found some interesting websites in Russian so far, and  found a screen shot of the old  Soviet book.  I think it has been reissued in Russian, so I could probably find it next time I work in Moscow. Or have a friend there buy it and mail it.

What I am hoping to learn more about the patterns is specifically who in the U.S found those patterns, back in the day?  It used to be very difficult for books to get across,  so I am curious about how that contact was made, who did it first. Was it someone who emigrated and brought a copy? Or a traveler?  I'm hoping to find those people.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 23, 2012 3:56 PM

Alaina, beading has always been around, but it took on it's current popularity starting in about 1990 with the publication of The New Beadwork (Moss/Scherer) and Those Bad Bad Beads (Blakelock), both of these books have good bibliographies and seem to indicate some previous popularity/research in England and Europe. There are some bead research people you could contact also, Peter Francis and Lois Dubin have both written very comprehensive books on beads and probably could help lead you to other persons with more information on what you are searching for.  I have not seen Russian beading patterns until somewhat recently, so maybe these old books and patterns are coming out now as trade is freer? I certainly don't know for sure. Hopefully something here can set you on track. If I can help you at all, give me a holler, go to my DMZ name in the post and you can send me an email direct.

Also, try a note on a site like Ancestry dot com, we have found contacts for our family by posting there, our family is basically Czech, Croatian, Serbian, and other eastern Euro nationalities...... very mixed family most of whom came to US in the 1910-1920 period. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 7
limonka65 wrote
on Nov 24, 2012 12:51 PM

Donna, thank you, these look like super interesting leads for me to follow!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 6:04 AM

Hello Alaina,

good that you got something to keep you cheerful, for me beading is the same, its a great thing to relax and sort out the head while beading after stressy days.

About Russian beading patterns i can't help, not got enough knowledge where to look for. Just something like to look for Blogs from russian beaders is something i would do.

About myself, i still finding out a lot of beading and learning a lot, so far i can't decide yet what i like most, its just awsome what all is possible. Every day i see something that makes me cheer, everything i tryed so far got me hooked, like crocheting, embroidery, peyote, and lots of other threading where i often don't know the name of the technic, and get the hang of it with time.

Cya

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 20
stubblytroll wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 11:32 AM

Hi Alaina, I'm so sorry about your ankle.  But I'm glad you have found something good to pass the time.  I do not know anything about Russian bead patterns, am ashamed to say, don't know much about the history of beading, except what I get hereand there.  I thing you've gotten excellent advice so fqr, however.  Have you done a google search or anything like that?  I'm 'puter illerate, but people more savvy than me have lots of luck with those kinks of things. 

Mostly, I just wanted to say hi, and welcome you to the beading world.  I am glad that you have taught me about Russian beading and will be on the lookout!  Stubblytroll

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 5:25 PM

Alaina, I found a very good source for you, quite by accident. I periodically go through all my back bead magazines and sometimes find new inspirations. I was looking at the Dec06/Jan07 Beadwork mag and found I still had a bookmark on Tatiana Van Iten's Snow fairy bracelet...........  I made this bracelet after only learning one stitch, right angle weave, only a month or so earlier.. Silly me, I had no clue it was so far beyond me, and so I pressed on and by the time it was done it had been sold, I never even got to wear it, but that is why I kept the bookmark..............someday..........

Anyway, in the intro to the pattern, Tatiana mentions that she "learned this technique from a book by Russian beader Lyudmila Bozhko"...............well she'd certainly be one to talk to about Russian beadwork and books. I found an e-mail address for her:

Tatiana Van Iten, Hanover, Indiana, USA
E-mail address: vaniten@hanover.edu

Hope this helps you make some forward progress and maybe I"ll just start that bracelet again. Donna
Not Ranked
Posts 7
limonka65 wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 9:35 PM

Thank you so much!!! 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS