Alternative to lacys?

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 6:26 PM

Has anyone ever tried using regular old interfacing instead of lacys stiff stuff?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,288
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 8:48 PM

yes, I have used both regular interfacing, you just need to buy the stiffest they have. I have also used Stiffy Felt. Not sticky felt, but stiffy. I found it at both Craft 2000 and Hobby Lobby. It is felt that has been stiffened. Comes in lots of colors, which is nicer than spending a lot of money on Lacy's and having to dye it. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 9:58 PM

Sue-Did you have any issues with it 'warping' or losing shape? What about dying it?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,493
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 1:12 AM

I have used felt in some projects and do not like all the loose fibers (maybe because I am picky, but I also kept getting my needle involved in those fibers) but of course I've never seen or heard of Stiffy Felt, so that may not be the same way. I have not even used up my Lacey's Stiff Stuff since I tried Nicole's Beadbacking. NBB is the same idea as Lacey's but comes in gorgeous colors and allows your needle to ease through it much better because it is made out of a different material. It has a much nicer texture to it also. Nicole's web site is Beadwright and should come up in your search engine, she sells sample packages with most or all her colors and if you are just backing a cab or part of a bracelet you will get a lot of mileage out of a sample pack, it also comes in two larger sizes. I love the stuff. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 5:54 AM

I was leaning towards interface because I was thinking it would be more flexible, yet still hold the project. Def. going to look into NBB though, thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,040
Editor
on Nov 19, 2012 7:29 AM

I second the recommendation of Nicole's BeadBacking. I've tried the interfacing, and I just didn't like it. I've also tried some of the stiffer felts that are available at the big box craft stores, but when I'm doing a large-scale or very intricate bead embroidery project, they just don't hold up. I love, love, LOVE the Nicole's BeadBacking, particularly the fact that it comes already colored, so I don't have to worry about fussing about with markers or fabric dyes before I start stitching. I use it pretty much exclusively for my bead embroidery, unless I find some funky fabric that I want to use for bead embroidery, and then I'll use some fusible interfacing to stiffen the fabric.

You should give the Nicole's BeadBacking a try - I won't go back to using Lacy's anymore.

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,288
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 8:34 AM

Sorry, I called it Stiffy Felt, it is actually Fetties Stiffened Felt Sheet. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
kebrooks wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 7:28 AM

I also bought Stiffy Felt and I love it!!  It seems to be the same thing as Lacy.  I pulled on the corner and tried to see if I could warp it but it held tight!!

And it only cost at (Hobby Lobby) .79!  Yep  79 cents per sheet!!  I haven't tried dying it but there's no need because it comes in many colors!!

Love it!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 5:40 PM

Oooh..  I'm going to have to look into that felt!

I just started trying out Nicole's Bead Backing, and while I do love the colors and stiffness of it, it is a bit thicker than Lacy's.  So that makes it harder to cover up the edge when you are doing the finishing stitch round the beadwork.  Especially around smaller pieces.

Amanda

MigotoChou

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS