Fed up with moderation.

This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 5:51 PM

Last week I tried to help someone and looked up some links on beaded ornaments. My post never came through and I'm really fed up with it. I don't even know why it was blocked. Couldn't I at least get to know the reason why my message wasn't posted? It's not very encouraging if moderation gets this severe. It spoils the fun.

I know I'm not the only frustrated one.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 553
Beadiecat wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 9:59 PM

No, you aren't the only one.  It wouldn't be so bad if somebody was at least looking at the posts and approving them, but it seems like nobody is.  If I have more than one link in my post, I just put it in as a "dead link" and let people copy and paste.  That seems to work.

Cat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 12:39 PM

Thanks Cat,

I'll try that next time.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 12:54 PM

I'm a tad curious also. Is this a dying site? So many things/events/etc are incredibly old. Blogs seem to be recent and a handful of us that post here and there. But even the galleries when sorted by most recent, come up from 2010. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with the way this site works, assuming it still does. I've been reading past posts for the year of 2012 when I am bored. Seems links used to work ok. I also am questioning if anyone actually looks at them or if they are just automatically sent out into pixel-never-never-land. Working sites need the human touch to stay alive. When things tend to be controlled by bots/apps or whatever, they disolve quickly. It looks like this site used to be very active and things going on all the time. How sad it seems to be slipping by the wayside. Wish I had been here back then.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 1:19 PM

tcwhit, I have to comment here..........lots of things are changing on the net in general. I've been dealing with computers since before 1970 and have been on the net since 1996 (I think that is right) and while it it was new and exciting and somewhat exclusive as not everyone had the ability to be connected. Now we have scammers, trolls, and various lazy folks to contend with.

New people here either catch on quick of fall off. If a person has found this forum and is smart enough to know how to sign up, surely they have seen a search engine. So many of the newbies want basic information. I can see doing some searching and then coming here for help from a wider base of informed beaders, but to come on with no real information and just ask for things..............lazy comes to mind.

We are all here to help out, but it gets old, and so good knowledgeable folks drop off or take a restorative vacation and hopefully come back. About the "limbo land" where posts go if they contain active links, I'd bet it is automatic. Forum administrators probably also have "real" jobs and are not on here 24/7. I am not curious about these things, they happen with added web traffic and the types and pace of life we all now have. Many a GREAT forum has gone by the wayside due to factors that are not controllable by those of us who loved it, but were not able to help it. I'm off the soapbox now, and thanks for reading this far. Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,219
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 1:39 PM

I am not sure of the cause of the decline in activity, but it also saddens me. I am a charter member, which there are still a handful here, but not many.

I think and this is my own opinion,  that some of the downfall of this site has to do with Interweave themselves.  At one time they had moderators that were members of the site, they were usually on top of deleting spam and keeping things under control, but since the change over a couple of years ago to limit the amount of spam, things have gone downhill. It seems to paraphrase it,  'they threw the baby out with the bathwater'. 

I have also been upset with the way things are going here now. I hate it when I have to think and get creative in the way I post things, so that I can help a member with a site they have been hunting, or giving a link to a tutorial for them. It would be one thing if, when something went into moderation to be approved for posting actually went to someone and not into "gone and not looked at again".

I know first hand how frustrating it is to do some research for a fellow member, spend the time to type it out with links to the information, to have it go into cyberspace and never be seen again. There has to be a better way, and for a large publishing company not having the time to put forth the effort to put something in place to help their members is very disheartening. It seems that the site is only here now to generate money and not to give back to it's members.    How sad the day that we suffer because someone doesn't listen to our concerns about the future of this once wonderful site. It was once listed as the best online bead forum. I am not sure of the standings anymore. 

Thank you for allowing my moment on my soapbox. ..........Stepping down now!!

edited to show afterthought. 

Also I have noticed lately, unless you contact someone at Interweave, reported abuse gets ignored, what good does it do to report the abuse?

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 5:28 PM

*LOL* I didn't see you on a soapbox. I saw you as having some input. None of it disparaging or negative! I appreciate that you've added at all. Yes, a regualr diet of anything does get old. And the same old thing day after day after, the tedium, blah blah blah. Totally understandable. But this site not only HAS valuable resources for all stages of experience, it IS a valuable resource. One thing to note: IMHO there will be alot of beginners asking and not giving, as an amazing amount of searches I've done (and am still always doing) point right here. So, the searches lead alot of people here, they'll ask their Q's, and move on. They don't necessarily want to join a forum, at least not as a daily hotspot. This is also understandable. I do hope that it lasts, for everyone's sake.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 466
shanks wrote
on Nov 29, 2012 1:09 PM

I was going to post a lengthy post on this subject, but it appears to have disappeared??? The Bead and Button form has met it's demise, sort of like this one is headed. I do not want to see this one go, but unless the powers to be don't go back to the way it was,  so friendly at one time, I think it may be doomed a well

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 2, 2012 7:47 PM

Sometimes the little input I'd offer has already been 'said'.  Okay, most times.  Even with some of the annoying incidents (disappearing posts, spam, trolls, etc.), this is still a friendly site.  Being involved (being a good neighbor) requires communicating honest concerns/observations; may save this site despite the money angle.  I don't always 'say' things the right way and maybe that was why I didn't feel  welcome at the other site (bead supply); didn't offer a place to discuss issues -- mostly Q&A and tips; no interaction.

Sorry I haven't contributed that much, but with the connection problems it's been difficult.  Your help does not go unnoticed -- just not always remarked on by me (possibly others?).  In other words, please keep on with what you're doing.  You're what makes this site friendly -- real people!

Okay, I've added my two cents worth.  Thanks for being here.

Ottercat Coffee

12-02-12  (1745 PDT)

edited:  See what I mean.  12-06-12 (0111PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 7:32 PM

I'm glad I found this topic!

I tried to post my photo's today and yes, I posted a link to my Youtube channel. I worked for half an hour on this post, because my computer is not so fast. When I pushed post it said something about link and moderation or something like that. I thought well, thats fine and I will look tonight again if its already checked. 

Then I posted another thing. I posted a commend on one of the beautiful jewelry. Somthing like Wow I love it! That must have been a lot of work. And I was a little surprised that it again said moderation blablabla. Because I didden't post a link or something.

So how active is this forum still? Because if this happens a lot to me I won't come back here. Thats just highly enoying! And I think I'm not the only one.

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 2:13 AM

HoneyBeads:
So how active is this forum still? Because if this happens a lot to me I won't come back here. Thats just highly enoying! And I think I'm not the only one.

HoneyBeads, don't give up yet -- there seems to be a 'learning curve' concerning 'links'.  Just don't post active links.  Read through the forum, this topic is covered elsewhere with remedies, suggestions, etc. (search).  Hope this helps -- you're not the only one.

Ottercat Coffee

01-06-13 (0012 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Apr 17, 2013 8:27 PM

Put it in dead link,and that will never happen :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 238
beadinstyle wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 6:31 PM

Many thanks for the info here ... I have had several posts lost in transit, and sometimes I didn't even realise it, mostly because I was doing the replying not the asking.

So ... no live links, huh? I needed to know that. 

And no ... this forum isn't as lively as it once was, though I don't think it is yet headed the way of the Bead and Button one (which was once an amazing source of info and inspiration).  But I'd like to let the regular respondees know that I truly appreciate their input, time and effort. Many times they say all I wanted to say, before I got around to it. And say it better. 

So thanks to you all, btw.

And to Interweave ... treasure the forum you have and treat it well. It will be a truly worthwhile investment of your time and skills.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
StanB wrote
on May 20, 2013 8:22 PM

I was lot more active 2 - 3 years ago, . . .      moderation wasn't around at first, then some %^&*( started spamming, then Moderators and all was well,  . . .. . .personnel changes, a few unhappy incidents,  many dropped off, others slid, many stayed.  I had computer troubles {HACKED} and have been back sporadically.

StanB

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 20, 2013 9:26 PM

I have been around since the "Mayflower landed". I come and go. (ofc as time permits). I do sorely miss the "Family of concerned Beaders" That was on here some years back.

Truely the only thing constant is Change. (can't remember who said that).

There are some nice folks here now, Stanb. so do come back often.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS