First try Herringbone Rope trouble

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 9, 2012 3:45 PM

hello dear Pearls,

some days ago i started first time a simple herringebone rope, with 4 beads, like in the blog that was short ago giving inspiration. Thread i use the 6lb fireline and the same order of sizes for beads like in the pictures, size11Rocailles for the thin bits and getting bigger for the lumps....

it started very good, but after a bit it got very stiff, i almost can't bend it, is that ment to be like that or i am doing something wrong, must be something wrong... *cry* i don't want to open it again...it was so much fun so far...

Please somebody got an advice?

Beads Ahoy

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Nov 9, 2012 11:33 PM

Hello,

I've not seen whatever it is that you're working on... But, when you used the words, "very stiff"... Please provide more details. How many inches is the rope at this time? Is the rope supple in certain areas and stiff in certain areas? What kind of tension have you been using throughout the making of the rope? 

As far as frogging the project, sometimes that is honestly your very best course. If frogging isn't done, it will be very noticeable (of course depending on the project involved)... When I started out, I used to hate frogging! Sometimes I used to lose discourage and not bead for a while. I only blame myself for that! I put off the inevitable. As you go further along in your work, you'll eventually come to learn & realise some of your work in progress are happy accidents! It would be awesome if that were always the case! Lol... 

Can you please link me to the piece you're trying to make? Also, can you take a couple of WIP pictures of your rope? It often helps to actually see the piece. 

Heidi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Nov 10, 2012 11:09 AM

Akoya

I looked at the blog post you were talking about and while I haven't done that one specifially I have done one similar.

While I didn't use as many different sized beads as in the blog post I think the techniques are similar. When I was working on mine I noticed that when I worked in the, bumps, other sized beads the stiffer my piece became. The more sections of "bumps" the stiffer the piece became.  I would suggest loosening your tension in those particular areas. I just fiddled with the tension on mine until it wasn't quite so stiff.

However, compared to regular herringbone stitch  this piece is much firmer. Or at least that was my experience. I had to rip mine apart several times to get the tension the way I liked it.

I don't know if this helped you any. I hope you get it sorted out and complete your project. I will be looking for it in the Reader Showcase.

Have a great weekend.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,090
Editor
on Nov 12, 2012 7:53 AM

Tension is very, very important in making a bumpy herringbone rope like that. If you're pulling too tightly, that could be why the rope is getting too stiff to bend. Try easing up a bit on the tension on the size 11 segments, and tightening up just a bit more for the bumps. It's tricky - you don't want it to be so loose that all your thread is showing, but not so tight that you can't bend it. Does that make sense?

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 12, 2012 4:42 PM

First of all, thank you all for the advices and help! i had just a look at all you said on my rope and tried to do it different with your advices....

Sorry i didnt took a picture, that would had helped, i was too lazy :). That thingy with the frogging i don't get quite, its a bit too advanced English, though i tried to figure it out with online translator. But never mind, from your answers i got it know that i definitly must have put to much tension in it, a failure i often do, i stupidly keep thinking everything got to be solid like a rock or so :). And then i have only 5 rows of 11size seed beads between the bigger bumps, as you said thats making it stiffer, i tried it with some more gap, that got better....AND in one part of it i used some seed beads which are not even/irregular, there is the hardest bit of the rope, so i stay now with only Toho and Miyuki for the thin rope bits....suppose all together it has had to go wrong :))Idea ohdear...but as i still find it pretty i will just carry on and keep it as a beloved first try, will see how it falls when it is finished. And then i try straight away another one.

Whew it looked so easy but indeed it is tricky to get the right tension and constancy... Yours is looking great Ellen.

Thank you all very much, i will show my clumsy funny peace when it is finished.

Beads Ahoy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Nov 12, 2012 7:17 PM

Hello there! 

Akoya, since I've not been on beading daily for a few years, I've got lots to learn. I don't know where the pattern is at. However, having said that, I now understand from Sue & Jennifer what you're working on. They said what you need to do. Tension in all aspects of beading and even loomweaving are important. Tension is something you just learn over time. The more you bead, the better your tension will be. It's all in the name of FUN! Now I'm itching to do a piece! So much to do and just not enough time! 

If I'm working on something "new" I tend to listen to my instincts. If it doesn't feel quite right, or I might have misunderstood the instructions (which I often do), I stop. Then I frog (frog or frogging in beading, sewing, et means to rip out and redo it again). Many of the very best artist will frequently frog until they're happy. There have been times when I ripped everything apart more times than I can count! That's caused by the crazy, insane perfectionist in me! 

Sue, your necklace is absolutely lovely! I especially like the colours you used! 

Your English is just fine! Where are you from? 

Have fun creating a beautiful necklace,

Heidi

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 7:04 AM

Hey Heidi,

your name makes me think you might come from Germany or Switzerland :), i am from Germany by the way...  i am on a good way with my english i think, but i still got a huge lack of vocabulary, well it will come with time.

Thank you very much for explaining the frogging to me :)... now i got it, and would like to say i hate frogging when i had fun with a piece but i have do frog quite often... that word makes me grin, as its funny i will not forget it again. never mind, i am willing to try things over and over again. Its not crazy to be a perfectionist i think, a bit of it is needed for beading and to find a way through the threadsalad sometimes ;).

Cya

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Nov 26, 2012 1:49 AM

Cya,

The reason why we call it frogging is because of the noise a frog makes.  In english, the frog sound is "ribbet, ribbet" and it sounds like "rip it", so we call ripping something out frogging.

Cat

ps...I was born in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.  I came to the USA when I was still a baby, but my mother always told me how beautiful Germany was.

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 3:39 PM

Hey Beadiecat, thank you again very much for that explanation, its fantastic to know for me where words came from, this one i will never forget again for sure after this enlightment :), very charming that is! maybe it helps to like frogging in the future as well, as i allways have to grin when it pops in my mind. i can picture me sitting annoyed in my rockingchair while i have to frog and mumbling ribbet ribbet ribbet.

Frankfurt i know too, but its a pity only the airport :)), when i have to stop there on my ways to England. and wow how much people in this forum came from germany or have german relatives, i am surprised. Who knows one day i might come over to live in your country ;), i have relatives spread all over the world. well but first my move to England.

Greetings (guess i should stop with signing Cya, i thought i would be extra cool to say Cya for
*See you*, but you and someone else thougth its my nickname)

AuntyAkoya

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 8:08 PM

Hi Aunty Akoya,

Don't give up using 'Cya' ('see you'); by now it's understood.  I'm sure nobody knows why I use 'ottercat' and the coffee cup.

Ottercat Coffee

12-08-12 (1808 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 6:26 AM

hiho, sorry i am late with my answer and question.....BUT I GOT TO KNOW :))....

Why you use ottercat and the coffee cup....i was asking that myself before you said that, so now i am even more nosy

Cya ;)

Aunty Akoya

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 6:26 AM

hiho, sorry i am late with my answer and question.....BUT I GOT TO KNOW :))....

Why you use ottercat and the coffee cup....i was asking that myself before you said that, so now i am even more nosy

Cya ;)

Aunty Akoya

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 2:19 AM

You're not being nosy, just observant.  To explain:  otter (playful) & cat (watchful); and the coffee cup (my favorite beverage).  Glad you're still using 'Cya' -- your contribution to 'beady slang' Wink.  Take care,

Ottercat Coffee

12-29-12 (0019 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS