Visual gem guide

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 1:56 AM

Where can I find a visual gem (precious & semi-precious) guide? I have some gemstone beads but I have no idea what they are and what they're worth. First of all, I have this one: it looks like carved jade, but not sure. Can anyone tell me what they are?

TIA!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 5:30 AM

Maddy:

The bottom beads are carved jade; the top beads are malachite.  Malachite has a very distinctive look to it that I recognize instantly.  It's one of my most favorite stones.  It's also very hard to find now, since many of the mines have dried up. 

Looks like you've got an owie!  BTW, I think you can go to just about any bookstore, even Amazon, to find a gem guide.  Prices vary.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
oilnwine wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 3:48 AM

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Say you have a good eye! You noticed the bandaid :) 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 4:48 AM

No problem; I hope the info was helpful.  Naw, I'm just disgustingly observant!(lol)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 12:50 PM

hi you two, i have read somewhere too that the true malachite is getting rare, and most shops sell synthetic and dyed malachite. and in that case its often very difficult to see the difference to the true malachite. i like the synthetic one the same, so only if i would need true malachit i only buy it at shops where i trust their knowledge and reliability.

Greetings

May the beads be with you!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
oilnwine wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 3:36 PM

I do like it too. In fact it's fast becoming my favorite. I love the green color!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 6:45 PM

Maddy, two very good references for you to use...........one sign up for and pay for the full sized Fire Mountain Gem catalog. I think they still send you a coupon to reimburse  you for the cost on your first purchase from them. The advantage to FMG is that would be the source of beads similar to what you are buying......they buy the same stuff in the same countries. Their catalog also lists if the item is natural, dyed, heat treated, etc. so you can see how different gems are processed. They are very informative and color rendition is very good, pics are mostly actual size.

The other good reference is a smallish book with excellent information and colored photos is Walter Schumann's Gemstones of the World. I have a copy that I am always into, it has been THE book for gemstones for about 20 years now. Color photos of all gems, in raw and finished format, where they come from and most important to us all............what gems can be "mistaken" for it. You can never identify a gemstone 100% from a book, nor from photos.......but you can get close and know a lot more about what you are seeing with it. I wore my previous version out as I was learning.

Take care and show us more goodies. P.S.: I am looking at my big big hunk of malachite in a totally new light.......LOL. Maybe I should have some of it cut? Hmmm. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
oilnwine wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 12:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Donna. I put that book on my amazon wish list and will check out Fire Mountain Gems catalog. I actually have racked up close to a $100 worth of stuff in my shopping cart already. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS