Hurricane Sandy?

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 11:12 AM

I'm just wondering if any of our eastern U.S. or Canadian members have been affected by Sandy?

I saw a couple of posts one from Peggy(RudyandSamsmom) & one from Val (Valbeads) yesterday. So, I know they were alright then.

Do any of you know of any other members that we need to keep and eye out for? Or have you heard from any of them to let us know they are okay.

I saw some pictures on the news last night of all the flooding and of some of the wind damage Sandy was causing. Having survived many a hurricane and flooding I know first hand the anxioty this causes and the helpless feelings you find yourself facing.

I hope everyone is in a dry safe place.

You are all in my prayers

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 1:04 PM

I for those who don't Pray,""  Have Good Thoughts"" ( as Billy Z use to say on this forum)

I started Prayers at the first news.  It is just unblievable the damage and heart ache that goes with "Storms of Mother nature".

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 1:12 PM

Hi Sellen2,

It's quite worrying especially for Val. The only other one I know who''s affected is Calico. I was visiting her amazing website this morning and she had a message about Frankenstorm approaching. I sincerely hope everyone will get back here soon.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 2:31 PM

On another list I am on, people have started checking back in, seems VA and Chesapeake Bay areas got less then predicted, and some parts of New England like Maine also got less then expected. That is the good part, I'd bet Val is without power, but hopefully did not get blown clear of the planet. What really irks me is people in the mandatory evacuation zones who are now endangering police, rescue and firemen to rescue them from homes they refused to leave. Even the governor of NJ got on the tube and told them not to be "cynical" and to get out. I'm sure they will all be out of power for a while. but if you are safe and not hurt, that can be dealt with.

Where we live (a mile and a half from the Pacific Ocean) we can get some real doozies come ashore, not hurricanes as such, but tropical storms that get off course and decide to "vacation" up north..........last year we lost several trees (we live in the middle of a National Forest and our yard has large trees in it also) and were without power for a week............. you just deal with it. My car is low to the ground and I had to have tree branches removed from the important parts underneath twice after that storm. It can happen anywhere............... hope everyone starts checking in soon. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 3:02 PM

I spoke to Val yesterday afternoon and at that point they still had power, but were expecting it could go out at any time.  I have not spoken or heard from her today, so I am concerned that they most likely lost power - hopefully nothing more serious.  I know that she was very stressed about the storm coming their way.  I am keeping her and any other forum members, along with several friends and family members in the storm's path in my prayers.

Even here in southwestern Ohio we are receiving some residuals from Sandy.  We have had high winds and rain since last night and even a little snow this morning.   We are expecting another day or 2 of Sandy's by-products, but nothing like what the East coast is receiving.  I heard of only minimal power outages around here this morning.  I haven't heard anything here about damage - the winds were not as high as we thought they might be here and for that I am grateful.

Stay safe, dry and warm,

Ricki

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 4:08 PM

I've been at NOAA's website (noaa.gov) checking the latest on 'Sandy' -- the storm track has changed (good news for Val's location, but not for western PA or Canada).  There's some information on the latest storm (low) track, flooding, weather conditions, etc.  Val mentioned that she was in Vestal (NY), so I checked with weather.gov for the weather report (forecast) -- mostly rain and the winds have settled down.  If you're interested, you can go to noaa.gov (home page), click on 'weather' (located under search box at far right; white clouds on yellow background); weather page -- click on 'hurricanes' (third paragraph), will show page with map of eastern U.S. and location of 'Sandy' (LX); in box below map -- forecast low track, latest advisory, flooding, etc.  I read some news stories, saw the news last night (what I could) -- it's a mess.  Add my prayers, too.

I have family in southeastern Ohio, near Athens.  Talked to my sister late last night (about 2330 EDT) and she was getting rain & wind.  I live in southern California and started checking the weather online (several years ago), because the weather forecasts (news) were too little, too late (rural area); they're getting better.  I don't like rain sneaking up on me!  I check my sister's weather, too; especially after the tornado that damaged the local high school (was a close call).  Hope the other forum members will be able to check in soon; until then, just good thoughts and prayers.

Sarah Coffee

10-30-12 (1408 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 5:32 PM

May be we could start  'Beading Buddies'  -- two or more forum members linked (privately and not in the same area) so that when something like this happens, we're can help each other.  Sorry, I didn't put that just right.  I just mean that members could be more connected in the case of an emergency (storms, fires, earthquakes, etc.).  It's an idea, any thoughts/comments?

Has anyone heard from Val, yet?

Sarah Coffee

10-30-12 (1532 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 8:42 PM

hi together,

i follow the news online too, its just so scary to see all the pictures and with what desasters people have to deal. I just hope Val and her family is allright, i think off her lots of time in the day as she is the only one i know it that area so far. yes online Val was last time at Monday, i didn't got to change phonenumbers with her yet, we were just chatting about skype.

in that case it would really had been good to have a mobile number, just to send a text or for her to tell she is ok, i bet they have all charged it until the hardest storms were coming. Well they need it for emergencys. An idea for that, a person from the forum who is very often here and is trusted by most of the members as well, could make a list of mobile numbers and could get asked then to connect to someone who is knowingly missing or so. so it would just be one person sending a message instead of lots messages using up the power, as its needed for an emergency like Val has just now.

Greetings

AuntyAkoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,715
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 11:28 PM

Hi everybody!

Here I am at last!  I'm really sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I was so stressed from the storm that I got sick....yet AGAIN!  Sigh....the docs keep telling me to avoid stress, but that's a bit tough to do when something like this is barrelling down on you!  I am all right, and safe.  I was so exhausted I fell asleep about 2 am and just kept on sleeping,  It was about 6pm Tuesday evening when I finally woke up.  I'm guessing that was my body's way of relieving the stress!  The power is on and all is well.  It is very cold here now, with a steady rain that may change over to snow by the end of the week.  I managed to eat some soup and drink some Gatorade.  I still feel like I got smacked by a Mack truck but am otherwise on the mend again.

I wanted to thank everyone so much for their prayers.  They really did work, because God spared my entire family, my parents and I, and my brother and sister and their small families in Noerthern and Southeastern VA.  He still performs miracles, even in the 21st Century, praise His Holy Name!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 2:43 PM

Yay Val, thanks god its very good to hear you are sound and safe! no wonder you have been stressed and sick, if i would had been in the storm i would had weed my pants and singing along to stay a bit calm at least, i remember too well, though its long ago, when we had some strong storms here and in one the roof tiles were flying like leafs in the wind, was a nightmare.

Hope you get a lot of rest soon, but suppose there is a lot to do for you and your family.

Greetings

AuntyAkoya

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 9:01 PM

I think we've all been affected to some degree. Our power was back on Wednesday night (anything better then a good hot shower?) but many of my family and neighbors are still without. Thankfully, they do have access to food, bottled water and in most cases a warm bed to sleep in until this is over. It's difficult not to feel guilty over our lives being almost normal again, while there are people looking in trash cans for food while chasing away rats, and sleeping on what's left of ruined homes or buildings. There are efforts underway to get water and food and coats and blankets out to staten island and other areas, but until then these people are suffering horribly. I ask of you all please pray for them.

Thank you

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 305
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 12:07 PM

Lets hope they get all the non-bureaucratic help that is promised as quick as possible. Tcwhit it would be horrible if there wasn't the lucky ones who have less pain and damage, so don't feel guilty, its just great you have not got the same desaster. i understand what a great feeling it is to appretiate the things like being able to have a warm shower, as i have been through some difficult times in life will never forget to be thankful and happy about comfort, that stays forever after suffering times.

Greetings

AuntyAkoya

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 12:44 PM

tcwhit,

I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Sorry to hear that some of your family & friends are having such a hard time. It is always heartbreaking to watch people we know and care about go through difficult times.

tcwhit:
It's difficult not to feel guilty over our lives being almost normal again, while there are people looking in trash cans for food while chasing away rats, and sleeping on what's left of ruined homes or buildings.

I totally get how you are feeling. We had a flood here several years ago (we were officially declaired a disaster area). And while people around us were struggling so hard our home was spared. When just down a few blocks our neighbors had lost their homes and in some instances their loved ones. It was just so heartbreakingly hard. I think it's like what is called Survivors Guilt.  Healing for me started when I started helping others in anyway I could. I had to work outside the normal ways as I'm homebound. But I did what I could and I think I was able to be of some small help.

It will take quite some time for things to feel anything close to "normal" again. But in time, and with Gods' help it will.

tcwhit:
I ask of you all please pray for them.

There have been many prayers sent out over Texas and many more to come.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 3:10 PM

I'll be praying as well, especially to the Sacred hearts of Jesus & Mary. I can kind of understand what some of you are going through. I am constantly thanking God for my family's well being.

Here are a couple of prayers I like to say often,

" O blood and water which gushed forth from the heart of Jesus, is a fountain of mercy for us, I trust in you."

And

"Immaculate heart of Mary, please pray for us, now and forever more, Amen."

xXFantasyXx Smile

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS