Discovering Ogalala stitch

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 10:53 AM

The possibilities of beading are endless. I've just discovered Ogalala stitch, the versatile stitch with the intriguing name. I saw Shinkabeads' ogalala bracelets and loved them. I had to try this myself. Didn't get much sleep because of it because it's very addictive and quite a lot of work.

The first attempt was a simple bracelet  just  to get the feel of it.

I like it but it's a bit too skinny.

To make it thicker you need twice the lenght you want to end up with for a base and when that's finished sew it in a special way with beads afterwards so that the curls get closer together. It's so excting to do because you don't know how it's gonna look until the very end.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,961
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 11:18 AM

You did a great job Karin

I don't know that I'd have the patience to try this one. I think my mind would get soooo confusedConfusedConfusedConfused*L*

Even though it's the same stitch in both pieces they look completely different from each other. You can keep it simple or go crazy with it.

Thanks for sharing.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Oct 24, 2012 7:24 PM

Those are really fun! I love the lacy, ruffled look.

visit me online at JewelryTales.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 11:32 PM

Oooo!  Squee!  I love the teal and emerald one.  It makes me think I'm at a cosy beach somewhere having an umbrella drink instead of being stuck here where it's miserable, cold and gloomy!  And don't even get me stated on the indigo/purple one!(g)

Thank you,luv, for making me forget abot this horrid weather, if only for a mo.  Hugs to you and the boyfriend.  Tell him to keep mending!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,019
ingrid@38 wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 2:15 AM

I like this a lot. Wonderful pieces. 

Ingrid

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ingridwang69

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
debbiela wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 3:16 AM

Those are really cool !  Love the look.  :) 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 3:19 AM

Thanks for your comments.

@Val: If it may be of any comfort to you, the weather's crap here in Portugal as well. Torrential rains that is. The temperature is not that bad.

I've been following your conversation with Gopika and really enjoye it. It's like a diary of two persons. Sometimes you use abbreviations I don't understand, like ROTMFL or something similar. Would you please explain to me what it means? Or can't it be written out because it's too rude?

I understand you've been quite ill again. Are you feeling better now or still on painkillers? Boyfriend's was grumpy because he heals so slowly but has accepted now that he can't go Flamenco dancing for quite a while.

I'm looking forward to see pictures of your latest jewellery but understand you've got to wait for your mum to take pictures.

Hang in there, Val. Talk to you later.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 277
on Oct 25, 2012 7:02 AM

They are beautiful Smile I will learn this stitch too when m done with the basics Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 9:56 AM

Hey Karen,

Yes I've been ill again.  It comes and goes, so as my brother would say, I just have to "suck it up and deal with it."  This has been going on for a year now, ever since I broke my thumb.  I think you become resigned to it after awhile.  The painkillers are for my broken back and my buggered up knees.  It keeps the pain down to a tolerable level, so I'm afraid I'll always take those.

Raining there too, eh?  Sheesh!  Australia's probably the only place getting any sun.  Well there and Florida.  Tell your boyfriend I know just how he feels, because I'm a very slow healer, too.  It's a bummer!

Well....It's just I thought you lot might get a kick out of seeing me modelling some of my jewellery!  Now I just have to get off my lazy butt and do it!(lol)

Ahhhhhhh...you want a lexicon of my abbreviations.  No!  LOL, only kidding!  No, they're not rude...except maybe one.  They evolved out of text messaging. In my case I use them out of sheer laziness.(lol)  So, here's a list of the ones you'll see me commonly use:

(g): giggle     (wg): wicked giggle(or naughty, if you prefer)     (lol): laugh out loud     ROTFL: rolling on the floor laughing     ROTFLMAO: rolling on the floor laughing my *** off     afaik: as far as I know     afaic: as far as I'm concerned     imho: in my humble opinion     TTFN: Ta Ta For Now (my all-time favourite, and what Tigger always said in Winnie-the-Pooh)

If I missed anything, let me know.Big Smile

Hugs!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 10:54 AM

Thanks Val, that's really helpfull!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 11:10 AM

These pieces turned out really fun!

(I didn't realize this stitch had a name! lol)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 5:34 PM

wow how creativ you are, beading non stop :). here i love the second one, you choose a fantastic colorway, very eyecatching! Perfect way for that Oglala technic isn't it!

Beads Ahoy

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 5:36 PM

Very pretty! they both look very lacy!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS