The Phoenix, AZ area is becoming a "bead desert" <sigh>

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 3:35 PM

There have been 4 or 5 LBS in the past 6 months or so that have closed or are for sale (and may close).

In a short while, my store - AZ Bead Depot - will be joining them. We're retiring for my husband Mike's health - he's been having more problems lately. Regulars here on the BD forums know that Mike is aka "the Jeweler" in my posts. He's 3/4 of the store operations and reducing his stress will go a long way toward helping his health. If anything happened to him, I'd never be able to handle the store on my own and he'd never be able to handle the store if anything happened to me, as well.  Though we have kids, none of them has the ability to be able to take over (for a soap opera's worth of reasons). We talked to a broker about selling the store and he advised against it mostly because of the economic climate. (He indicated that he has a listing for a bead store, though he didn't say which one.) We have known others that sold their business and then had to take it back. We don't want to do that, either.

The good thing is that we are CHOOSING to close the store, rather than HAVING to close. We don''t have a deadline to "get out or else" from the landlord. In fact, he's asked us to stay. We don't have creditors hounding us for payment - we own everything and don't owe anyone a cent, so it will be a clean ending. We are doing a retirement/clearance sale (to avoid advertising, contact me privately if you are interested). We've been doing the sale for almost a month. I am re-stocking Delicas - one of the few things we still have in back stock - about once a week, but re-stocking only takes a more than a day, where it used to take most of a week. We're down 50 colors out of over 500 so far.

We still love the store and our friends (customers) are the BEST! Retiring means that I'll be able to FINALLY catch up on MY beading (and other craft projects) as well as housework, and more. We'll be able to do some traveling, too.Who knows, I might even be able to spend more time back here on the BD forums!!

Well, I guess I'd better get back to work. Time to re-stock the Delicas, again!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 243
beadinstyle wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 3:48 PM

From another LBS owner, and a keen follower of your wise posts, I am saddened to see you close, Deb. After all those years of building up a respected and much loved business, I know it is hard to see it go. I hope you do continue to contribute here, as we need voices like yours to stand for the LBS and make it a stronger industry overall. 

But I do SO envy you the time to bead now ...Stick out tongue

Ruth

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,948
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 11:22 AM

Deb

Congradulations on you & Mike retiring!   You've earned it.Big Smile

I do hope that your DHs health improves so that you can do all the traveling to see your grandchildren and just have fun with each other without the worry and stress of the shop.

While I'm sad to hear your shop is closing I'm happy that it is because you are starting a new adventure with your DH.

We look forward to having you back on the forums on a more regular basis. You always gave such great advice and encouragement. And I love seeing your work.

YIMP Big Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 198
on Oct 19, 2012 10:57 AM | Locked
This post has been deleted.

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS