Lighting

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 1:19 PM

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but as you can see, I'm new here and have tons of questions.. What kind of lighting is recommended? And if anyone is using goggles, what brand/type is best? Right now my jewelry bench is set up in a dark room and I have a magnifying lamp. I also have a pair of magnification goggles that make me look like a cyborg lol. 

TIA

Maddy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 525
on Oct 10, 2012 2:24 PM

I personally my Ott-lite. It's smaller tabletop version and has helped me to see my beads SIGNIFICANTLY better. The colors of the beads are truer when I put them under my lite which makes it easier to coordinate colors. I got mine as a Christmas present but I know place like JoAnn Fabrics often has them for 40-50% at this time of year.

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 3:25 PM

Maddy, I have three OTT lites, two tabletop and one floor model. The ones that have the true color, which now may be called natural color are the best. I paid about $100 for my first one but they have come down and Jo-Ann Fabric stores carry them for about half that. Just make sure you are getting the right bulb. The floor lamp has an 18W bulb and it is harder to come by, so I stick with my old 13W lamps.

I have a headband magnifier that is comfy, but more often than not, I will grab a pair of clip on magnifiers that fit on the front of my computer glasses and are perfect for beading. They come in 2x and 4x magnification from Fire Mtn..........and I am sure stores everywhere. I have a tendency to buy the highest, best technology as soon as I see it. If it is going to make my life and hobby easier/better I want to try it out, so I end up paying a bit more for things. But now I have my "tools" all to where I want them and haven't bought anything since I purchased my Xuron (made in USA) tools about two years ago.

When I work on my loom, if it is a bigger piece, I often have two OTT lamps set up, one to shed light on the pattern and the other on the beads and loom. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 6:01 PM

Thanks! I really want to get a desktop lamp and a floor lamp so I can work in the living room and possibly watch tv. Not sure if that's possible, lol. 

Maddy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Oct 10, 2012 8:59 PM

You mention magnifying lenses... Do you own a pair of CraftOptics???? What color??? They are wonderful!

As for the lighting, any bulb with a natural light will be better. I use it for beading on the loom and for my photographing. Other then that, work out a comfortable tray for your lap, so you can move to a public room and make our gorgeous designs (I was reading through your Blog :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 12:18 AM

I just looked and I have no idea what they are. This is what it looked like, kinda comical!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 1:34 AM

Oh, I have that lit magnifier visor.  I can't do without it!  I push the magnifiers all the way down my nose so I'm not hunching my neck whilst I'm doing my work. (not an easy thing to do when you have a ski slope for a nose!) My magnifier visor was the best investment I ever made, especially when I'm doing wire wraps and such.  I have really funky vision: I'm nearsighted in my left eye and farsighted in my right eye.  It's a hereditary condition; my dad has it, and my brother and sister do, too.  LASIK won't help me a damn bit!Crying  These things are a Godsend!

Bal

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 2:54 AM

I like them too. So sorry to hear about your vision! I keep forgetting about this visor. I should use it more often. Thanks for the reminder! Yes

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,866
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 4:15 AM

Why be sorry, Maddie?  That's what glasses are for!Geeked  The good news is, about the only time I really need my glaases is if I'm going to be o the computer for an extended period of time, or if I'm driving at night, 'cos I don't want to drive up a tree!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 5:51 PM

Hi Maddy,

You look fantastic in them! I'd love some of those for beading at night.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Oct 11, 2012 9:09 PM

Madly, I love the way you look in them! Hahahaha, I want to bead with you! You are so much fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 9:11 PM

OK, I guess you're not complaining! lol 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 9:11 PM

Thanks! They do help a lot!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936