bulk nymo thread

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 538
Emma.J wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 8:53 PM

Helloooo!

I was just wondering whether anyone had bought the large 3 ounce roll of nymo thread, pre-treated and waxed from Fire Mountain Gems? I am currently working on a square stitch pattern using this thread and the wax/coating is peeling away as I am pulling the thread through my beads, I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen too?

I don't think it is damaging the integrity of the thread (well I won't find out until later), but it's just a little irritating.. I keep having to use a really small brush to brush the flaky bits away.

Emma
xXx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 914
on Oct 10, 2012 9:07 PM

You know, I have never been a fan of waxing or conditioning thread, so I would haven't considered such a buy. Sorry to hear about your problems with it. It is the very reason you give here that I steered from them. 

Can you run the thread through your nails to remove some of the coating before weaving. I would hate to think you bought something you can't use.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 9:25 PM

Emma, I would wonder why they'd even offer that, except they obviously didn't think it would flake. What was it's number when you ordered it? I looked at their web site and didn't see it there, not that it means it isn't there, just not where I looked.

I don't wax or condition when I use Nymo for my looming projects it isn't needed, and for most hand stitching I have sort of crossed over to generally using Fireline. But I learned on Nymo and still like it a lot and won't give up on it..... just won't buy any pre-waxed. I did notice that they now have the large spools in more colors than white and black............how in the world could you ever use up thousands of feet of one color though?

Anyway, sorry you are having a problem with it. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 255
Sharon Mc wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 2:25 AM

Hi Emma, I believe when you buy the pre-waxed thread its a good idea to run the thread between your fingers to melt the wax into the thread before you use it. You'll find the wax will not flake off if you do so. First cut off the length you intend to thread onto your needle and run it between your index finger and thumb. It make take one or two times to completely warm up the wax and get the thread coated. Then you can thread your needle and proceed as usual. That usually takes care of the flakes for me.

Sharon Mc

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 538
Emma.J wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 4:18 AM

I normally don't wax the thread at all, let alone buy the pre-waxed stuff, but I wanted it in bulk and it didn't come not-pre-waxed..

Donna, I didn't notice it when I was doing my loomwork, it was just when I was doing something with square stitch that runs through the beads several times that it started flaking. The item numer for the thread is H20-1262BS

Erin and Sharon, I did run the thread through my fingers, mainly to stretch it out rather than melt the wax. But I didn't finish the project in the one day.. I put it down and picked it back up again the next day so it probably dried again.

Thanks for the advice all!

Emma
xXx

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS