how do I attach clasp to horizontal weave??

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
ashlie01 wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 5:30 PM

I've been playing around with horizontal weaving for a bracelet (photo) and I would really like to keep the design this way but I can't figure out how to add a clasp to it, particularly the end shown in the photo.

The two ends of the filament thread are at the other end of the bracelet.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is it possible or am I better off just redesigning it?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 6:36 PM

I learned to use separate threads to attach a clasp to my work. My instructor said that if the clasp failed, you wouldn't lose the whole shebang, just the clasp end and then it can be replaced. That said, I'd use a doubled strand and start it on the two center beads in the top row, go through as many times as possible to ensure strength. Also, below the second row of three large beads........there is one missing, did you see that? Did it break? Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,305
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 6:45 PM

Ashlie,

Here is what I would do. I would tie on a new thread somewhere near to end but not so close that you don't have enough room to tie several half hitch knots to made the thread  secure. Then I would work my way up to one of the end pearls, and going from the inside of the pearl ( like the one on the right, I would go from the left through the bead going toward the outside of the bead. Once there I would maybe add 4 or 5 seed beads ( or how many it takes so that the seed beads reach the center of my bracelet end. Here I would add my clasp and then add the same number of seed beads going into the pearl on the other side of the bracelet, going from outside to inside. I would then go through the two seed beads between the two pearls, and back out the pearl on the right and go through all the beads you have just added for extra strength. either work your way to the other end and repeat or, add on another thread at the other end, 

Next time I would suggest leaving enough tail at the beginning to add your clasp without having to tie on a new thread. 

Hope you understand my phasing and it helps you out.

Happy beading!! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:10 PM

You are a Sweatheart, I could see your instructions in NM. I am a visual person, So your instruction were clear to me, just hope they are for the person who needs them.

ps. lovely design too!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ashlie01 wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 10:17 PM

Thank you for your response. I'm new to this site, what is NM?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,305
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Oct 20, 2012 8:02 AM

NM is the State of New Mexico in the USA

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS