Handmade jewelry gazing

This post has 55 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 2:40 PM

Vee,

I usually use Accuwire 49 strand (for nice drape) but like the 7 strand (it feels stronger).  I use a lot of stones, glass and crystal, so there is a little weight to some of my pieces.  I have a hard time finding a really strong magnet, even for bracelets.  I did find a few, but I just don't trust them for necklaces.  I had one of my bracelets on that had a smaller magnet.  I came within 1" of it dropping in a public toilet. EW.  Never again.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 3:17 PM

Donna,

Ah, I see! Heavy beads, gotcha. Wink

I also use 49 strand for more flexible designs but I mostly use 21 strand, and rarely use 7 strand. But I did start out using 7 strand when I first started beading. My designs, especially necklaces are light to medium weight. I only have a couple of pieces that are kinda heavy. I want to make larger necklaces in the near future. 

Oh and WOW about almost losing a bracelet in a public toilet thanks to a magnetic clasp! I lost one bracelet that must have fallen off in the store of the parking lot. But I still love my magnetis clasps lol I just use them less now.

Vee

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 3:38 PM

Vee,

So many customers (especially older ones, like me....), ask for magnetic clasps on bracelets.  I really like them, but just have to make sure they are strong enough.  I test them by putting on the bracelet and flailing my arm about.  If it doesn't fly across the room, we're good.

I don't use large stones (normally 5-10 mm), but my pendants are fairly good sized, which adds the weight.  I do use 21-strand as well as the 7-strand.  The 7 is a little stiffer, which seems to hold a pendant without coming to a sharp point.  I prefer 49 for smaller stone/crystal.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 7:50 PM

Donna,

I can relate to really liking the magnetic clasps. I love them because I have a challenging time putting on bracelets or working some clasps. I buy some of mine from artbeads.com they seem to have some pretty strong magnetic clasps for a good price. 

That is so cool how you test out your magnetic clasp bracelets before you give/sell them to others, i understand that you gotta make sure they won't fly off! lol. I do something similar with my necklaces and bracelets to make sure the crimp beads are secure. I basically tug on them a few times while holding the clasp ends to make sure it is secured tightly, I also do the same tugging with the clasp closed and if it doesn't start to unravel it's ready! 

I also use stones that are between 4-10 mm and just recently sometimes a little bigger at 12-15 mm.

Vee

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:04 AM

I have to admit that I too have started noticing other people's jewelry (TV and otherwise) (I even checked out the jewelry counter at Target), but I haven't spoken to any one yet -- not really.  And this all started with beading -- what next Smile?

As for those who gave the 'chilly' reaction -- their loss!

Ottercat Coffee

10-05-12 (0703 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 6:13 PM

Ottercat,

Gotcha!  I haven't noticed jewelry on TV shows, I probably should start. 

BUT, going back to approaching people:  Yesterday, I saw a woman in a grocery store.  I told her she had a beautiful necklace and earrings, and asked her if she made them.  She said she wished, but they were from a local jewelry artist named Rosemary.  OMG.....I have three of Rosemary's pieces, and I love them.  She was upset that she didn't know her last name or how to get in touch with her, and I gave her her phone number.  Now, if I hadn't approached her, she would not know how to contact this wonderful artist, and........I had the presence of mind to give her my card.

It eventually all works out.  But not without someone saying something to someone!

I haven't seen this jewelry artist in a few months (she is able to do some of the shows I can't afford, yet), but she'll learn that I gave her name to a happy customer, and that is always a good thing.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 6:28 PM

Vee,

When I started stringing in earnest, I never thought I'd use anything larger than 5 to maybe 7 mm.  I now use a lot of 8-10 mm (not exclusively), and found they really look better with some of my pendants than a smaller stone or crystal.  I love using some small beads, punctuated by some larger ones.  I'm not ready to do big chunky jewelry, the sparkly crystals kind of get lost between the giant pieces of glass or stone (I can't afford too many 14-18 mm Swarovskis), and I can't wear the big heavy stuff, so I don't gravitate to it.

Since, these days, I do mostly pendants with gemstones and crystals, my most popular necklaces are medium with a few larger pieces to accentuate.  You never know what's going to pop until you put them together (and then take them away and put something else in there and move them around, etc, etc....).  That's why I do drafts on heavy cotton thread and hang them for a while, move them around, listen to my husband say something like: "Love that, but those don't look right", then make changes and do the final.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:16 PM

ottercat,

That is awesome! You also may start to notice more on TV now that we are all talking about it. Wink

Vee

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:20 PM

Donna,

As you know, I also had to gravitate to the larger beads. I tend to be drawn to the gemstone beads and the larger 10 - 14 mm beads that I use at times are usually flat beads. I don't like my necklaces to be too heavy as well. I totally love Swarovski crystal beads and usually use the 3 - 4 mm beads. 

Cool that you husband gives you some good jewelry design advice or notices what looks good design wise. Smile

Vee

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:21 PM

I love watching tv and seeing the jewelry women are wearing. (It's fun & has also given me inspiration for a few of my piecesSmile) When I go somewhere like the store or church, I can't help but notice someone's pretty earrings or necklace or whatever they may be wearing. I don't go up to the person and ask them about their piece though, WAY too shy. I'll even get nervous when someone starts talking to me. My breathing gets heavy & I just want to get away as soon as possibleEmbarrassed Oh well, haha!

xXfantasyXx

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:43 PM

fantasy,

I totally understand being nervous about going up to someone and asking about their jewelry. I'm only brave enough to do it if the person talks to me first or catches me checking out their jewelry and only if they seem nice otherwise I shy away. 

I remember watching a movie called Just Like Heaven and saw a necklace a lady was wearing and it gave me inspiration for a necklace design of my own. 

Vee

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:53 PM

Here it is from the movie Just Like Heaven. The main character's sister, notice her necklace, I felt drawn to it and felt inspired to create something similar. Big Smile

Dina Spybey in comedy/romance movie Just Like Heaven

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Oct 10, 2012 6:44 PM

Sorry Vee,

I'm not getting a pic. I tried looking up "Just Like Heaven" and also" Dina Spybey" but then got pics of all kinds of necklaces. So I wasn't sure which was the one you were talking about.

xXFantasyXx

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 156
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 4:22 PM

Okay, I just checked my email and looked at your post there.(For some reason the pic doesn't show here on the forums.) But anyway, the necklace she's wearing is pretty. Are those stone chips in the center of the necklace?

xXFantasyXx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
violetflame wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 9:41 PM

Hey Fantasy :)

I'm glad you were finally able to see the necklace. I am just now seeing your post here, sorry! ;)

Yeah those are chip stone beads in the center and the actor wore that necklace through most of the movie which makes me wonder if it is actually hers lol. 

I created one similar to it with ocean jasper chip beads in the center and snowflake obsidian teardrop beads on the ends of the chip beads and he rest of the necklace is chocolate color seed beads and a magnetic clasp.

I will see if I can find a picture of it and post it here. :)

Vee

Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS