Can't believe I'm really doing this!

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 18, 2012 3:42 PM

Hi!  My name is Kristin and I'm brand spankin' new to beading!  I am a paper crafter at heart and have been making scrapbooks and cards for lots of years.  When my dear mom unexpectedly passed away a little over a year ago I brought home all of her beading stuff, which is a LOT!  So recently I started making a few things here and there (thankfully she had a beading 101 book in her stash, as I never got any lessons from her). 

I'm so excited and a bit nervous to join a community so new to me... my paper crafting community feels like my own living room.  But I'm seriously thinking about packing up all my paper stuff and making room for my new craft! 

Can't wait to learn from all of you that are experts at this already! 

Kristin

~Kristin

My Blog (started long BEFORE I started beading!):  Sunshine, Smiles & Stamps= Lovin' Life

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 4:27 PM

Hi Kristin,

What a special way to start beading. Your mom must have left you a treasure of beads. I have to tell you that beading is very addictive.

I joined this site 6 weeks ago and you can learn a lot here. Welcome!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 19, 2012 6:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome Karin!  I can't wait to start learning.  Yes, my mom left me a wonderful treasure in addition to the dozens of pieces she made for me too!  My only regret is that I did not become interested earlier or ask her to teach me a few things.  I guess I thought I had a lot more time with her. 

I can see already that it will be quite addictive!  I've even started a separate "beading" page on my paper crafting blog:  http://sunshinesmilesstamps.blogspot.com/p/jewelry-and-beading.html.  Can't wait to fill it up with all kinds of creations! 

~Kristin

My Blog (started long BEFORE I started beading!):  Sunshine, Smiles & Stamps= Lovin' Life

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,974
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 12:45 PM

Welcome to the forums Kristin

My sympathies on your mom's passing.

I bet you've been having all sorts of fun with her beads. I think  it would be a bit like playing in her jewelry box or closet when you were a little girl. Big Smile

Don't be nervous about us...we don't bite.Wink....okay...Most of us don't bite.Wink If you do come across one that does just show them a nice sparkly bead and they are just as sweeeet as can be.Big Smile

We love having new voices to hear from. So, find a thread that interests you and don't be bashful just jump right on into the conversation. We'll be glad to help you in anyway that we can. Just give a shout out  there is always someone around willing to give a hand.

I look forward to getting to know you and your work.

see ya in the posts

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 19, 2012 1:37 PM

SEllen, yes it has been fun going through all her beading stuff.  I've even found some amazing treasures- things that she had started or beginnings of pieces, even a few completed things that were hidden away in a container of beads!  All blessings, but kind of emotion filled as well.  Thank you for your sympathies as well.  I sure didn't mean to start out here on a sad note.  My mom would be thrilled to see me enjoying her craft and her goodies... and I plan to continue making things for her sisters and my sister as well. 

~Kristin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 1:30 AM

Welcome Budding Beadist,

What a wonderful legacy -- enjoy (also my condolences).

Ottercat Coffee

09-24-12 (2329 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 25, 2012 2:39 PM

Hi Kristin... my condolences on passing away of your mother... 

Just checked your beadwork.. you have eye for colours ( i mean both the eyes for colours :D) I am new here too.. Its fun here and the best thing you will find is the love and affection of the members here.. :)

Gopika 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Sep 26, 2012 11:03 AM

Welcome Kristin!  This is the first on line community I've joined ever, so welcome to newbies club.  I lost my father in early 2011 and, of course, he didn't have any beads, but he was well long enough to see what I've made and give me so much encouragement.  You keep it up!  If you love working in color and texture, then you'll be hooked very fast!  Plus, there is no one in this community that wouldn't jump up to help or advise you, so you've landed in a pretty good place.

Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 26, 2012 11:33 AM

Thank you so much Donna!  And my condolences on the loss of your father as well.  I do love working with texture and color so I'm thrilled to have been introduced to this new hobby!  I've already found this place to have wonderful people from the warm welcome and fast answers to my newbie questions. 

Thanks again,

Kristin

~Kristin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS