How to Start a Brick Stitch Pattern

This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 1:39 AM

How do you start a brick stitch pattern? From the widest row?

I pattern I have gets wider and narrower. I know I have to use a ladder stitch....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,217
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 7:02 AM

yes, you start in the middle of your thread and go from widest to the narrow end, tie off your thread. Now go to other end of your thread and go from the widest to the narrow to complete your shape. 

Happy Beading!! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 9:56 AM

Hi Pammellam:

If your pattern gets wider and narrower and wider and narrower, you will need to learn how to increase and decrease.

There is a nice video of following a pattern with increasing and decreasing as needed:

http://www.beadseast.com/brickprimer.html

ScottishSue

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 10:09 AM

Hi again:

Also check for tutorials online.

ScottishSue

Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 8:05 PM

Thank you so much, I have done everything that both of you have recommended and now I am in a much better position to start. You can not believe how many hours I had spent trying to get started but after checking out what you recommended, I have already done 3 rows!!! In just a few minutes.

Big Smile

Pamela

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 9:06 AM

Yes, a huge thank you, I had the same question and I discarded a pattern I wanted to use because I could not figure this out.  I have printed out your directions!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,217
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 10:56 AM

Pamela, Glad to hear we were of some help. That is what is so great about this forum, knowledge given freely from ones love of beading!

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 1:58 PM

Hello Pamela and Carolee:

Glad the information helped. 

I learned brickstitch from Carol Wilcox Wells' book Creative Bead Weaving.  It also covers:  peyote, square stitch, right-angle weave, African helix, netting, chevron stitch, and combining stitches.  Well worth the price.  It is still my "go to book," Everything is covered so well with great illustrations.  Plus I  have yet to find a mistake in it.

Bead joyfully,

ScottishSue

Not Ranked
Posts 23
pammellam wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 2:30 AM

Hello

I have finished half of the work. It will be an ear ring, so I have to make one more. I am really happy with it.

http://crittersandthings.blogspot.jp/2012/09/brick-stitch-rocks.html

I tried to upload a photo here, but could not. The above is a link to my blog with a photo of the work.

Pamela

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 9:11 PM

Hi

Your brickstitch earring piece looks great.  Good job.

ScottishSue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:20 PM

just FYI, not all Brick Stitch start with a "Ladder Stitch".  if ever have questions on How to (any stitch) just type How to start Brick STitch? there are ton's of web sites and video Tutorials on line. ehow.com has alot of info.

happy beading

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS