Best Stringing for Wrap Bracelents?

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
saltyduck wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 9:12 PM

Howdy all! I am looking for a good string for wrap bracelets. My friend showed me a wrap bracelet and I couldn't believe they were asking $188 for it. I haven't beaded or made much in about 20 years since I was in my teens, but I knew I could make it. And I CAN! But I am having issues with the string knotting and getting caught up and such. I just used regular cotton thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best kind of thread for this? And preferably with different colors? Thanks in advance! Links would be appreciated. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 2:15 AM

$188?!Surprise  That's nuts!  Was it solid gold or something?

I'd suggest trying leather or suede cord for doing that, or even Irish waxed linen.  All are pretty sturdy, and shouldn't tangle.  I think Lima Beads just got a bunch of new colors in for the Irish waxed, and they have leather and suede,too.  Their prices are decent, and Kevin Sly is a dear.(the owner)  Beadaholique most likely has this stuff too; they're another one of my favorites, and possibly Artbeads.  Of course, there's always Old Faithful- Fire Mountain Gems.  They always have sales going on, and they have synthetic leather and suede, too, if that's your bag.

Hope this helps!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 5
saltyduck wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 7:54 PM

Yeeeah! 188! My jaw just about dropped. I have no problem with the leather, it's the string that's going around and through the beads that is a pain. Getting it tight enough without breaking and getting it from knotting. I read some place suggesting Super-lon so I'm gonna try that.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 8:11 PM

Ridiculous amount of money.  Wanktards!  This is why I design jewlry now.  These stores charge so much money, and most of the time their jewelry falls apart.  I wire wrap EVERYTHING, so unles you're abusing the living daylights out of it, it ain't coming apart.

Have fun with that!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,256
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 11:29 PM

Saltyduck, can you show us a picture? I think I know what bracelet you are talking about, but I want to make sure before I send you in the wrong direction. Is it like this one? If so I used Fireline doubled.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
saltyduck wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 7:31 PM

Yeah it's like that. This is the one that is $188: http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/handmade+jewelry/handmade+bracelets/leather+and+cord+bracelets/gemstone+5+wrap+bracelet.do?sortby=ourPicks#

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,256
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 10:44 PM

The single wrap bracelet was for my 8 year old great grand daughter. I also made a triple wrap one for the 16 year old great grand daughter. They received them for Christmas and they loved it. I also made one for my 12 year old great grand son. On his I used hone beads on a brown leather cord with a bone bead instead of the button. He loves it and wears it all the time. very masculine with the beads I chose. 

Here is a couple of tutorials I found. you will have to do a copy and paste as the site wants reject my links. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niz55x5CwTw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vujoq3wqBw&feature=related

I am sure this will answer any question you may have on it. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 1:25 AM

I don't think that 32" of semi precious beads is priced badly at $188.00.............. Knowing what it would cost to gather enough beads of that caliber to do 32" in length makes it a bit pricey, but if you can't make one it is probably ok, plus look who the shopkeeper is, does that figure into the value of the bracelet? OK, I wouldn't pay that either, but I don't believe it is unreasonable. Just my two cents. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 5
saltyduck wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 6:28 PM

Thanks. I know HOW to make it, I just am wondering which is the best kind of STRING to use.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
saltyduck wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 6:30 PM

D.M.Z:

I don't think that 32" of semi precious beads is priced badly at $188.00.............. Knowing what it would cost to gather enough beads of that caliber to do 32" in length makes it a bit pricey, but if you can't make one it is probably ok, plus look who the shopkeeper is, does that figure into the value of the bracelet? OK, I wouldn't pay that either, but I don't believe it is unreasonable. Just my two cents. Donna

I think it's a tad unreasonable. You can buy the beads yourself at a craft store or online for much cheaper. And odds are if you bead regularly you already have a few of these lying around and this is an excellent way to use them up. You can easily make it for yourself for much less than 188....I am not surprised it being that much in THAT magazine though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,256
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 6:44 PM

I have always considered " Sundance" to be a tad bit on the pricey side of things. Of course if you don't make jewelry and have too much money on your hands, it is a good way to get some very nice looking pieces. 

Happy Beading!! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 31, 2013 4:45 AM

You can try leather or suede cord. $188 is really expensive for a bracelet. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LorrieH4 wrote
on Jul 19, 2013 1:58 PM

I've made several of these triple wrap.  I use Fireline  (buy it at WalMart in the fishing line area, best price).  Same as what is sold in beading stores, at a higher price.  Can't beat Fireline for most any beading project.  Good luck, you will love these.  Someone gave you good advice about checking online for tutorials, lots of them on there. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS