Frustrated with Magazine and TV Jewelry designers!

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jap1422 wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 9:21 AM

I am so frustrated with these beading magazines and TV shows!!  Being new at beading, I am not so savy as to where to purchase.  I'll find a project that I really want to make (in the same colors) in the magazines and at the end there will be a resource page with materials listed.  The problem is:  I can locate only one or two of the materials needed and the website that is listed is only for businesses!  Not only can you NOT find the materials -- half the time the one you want is no longer available.  I not very good at making substitutes in colors and materials yet so I like to stay with the designers choice.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent because I don't want to quit beading just yet.Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 12:24 PM

You are welcome and I hope venting helped. We end up discussing this often here. There are designers and there are designers........... Also, one note that we all agree on is that some bead sellers purposely change or omit the manufacturer's numbers or names of colors just to be perverse and to keep you buying from them. Doesn't work with me that's for sure. I don't know about TV as I just haven't had one in years.

But, I have had luck with contacting some of the designers regarding their patterns. I have dropped an e-mail inquiry to two of the most well known ladies and received very nice replies from them which solved my problems. On the other hand, there are folks you never ever hear back from........ Same goes with publishers. I have a book here that I purchased, there is an important part of one of the patterns missing........I have written to them once a year since I bought the book and they have yet to even acknowledge receipt of my request. Asking for an answer to an obvious omission in a book is legit, their not answering reminds me not to buy another of their books. Lacis Publishing is the offender. I would go direct to the author, but she is in a foreign country and not available to my inquiry. Sour grapes.

Anyway, if you have a specific product need on a magazine article, go to them first and see if it is published, then I'd go to the designer, if still needing to vent...........post the question here and someone is bound to have done the pattern and can help. Give the mag and date and name of the pattern if  you do this along with  your problem. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jap1422 wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 6:31 PM

Thanks so much for responding.  It does make me feel better knowing this issue has been previously discussed.  New to forum so I hope this reply shows up.  Thanks again.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 31, 2012 9:04 PM

Hi Donna:

I, too ,am frustrated by publishers.  Mine is Lark Books.  Yes, their images look clear, but they usually have mistakes in them.  Yes, the list of materials looks complete, but it is often wrong -- like 0.8mm thread for 15/0 beads!!!!   I am grateful for the beautiful patterns from creative artists, but tired of having to always rewrite virtually every pattern in the book.  I try to think positively and call them my "Puzzle Books" and keep telling myself that they keep my mind alert and active -- like doing crossword puzzles.

I haven't had any trouble with Lacis though.  The shop is incredible--not really much there for beading--but for other ancient crafts like crochet and tatting and hat-making and Teneriff  Lace and such..  Have you been there?? I only have bought some of their bead books in French (then spent weeks just translating the introductions) and a Kumihimo book by Kathe Kliot (I took a class from her on Kumihimo back in the 60's!)

I am curious what book and what pattern you have had trouble with.  I am pretty good at figuring patterns out.  Maybe I can help???  I also have an extensive book collection.  Maybe I have the same book and maybe my book is complete???   So let me know -- but only if you want to share the information.

ScottishSue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 1, 2012 2:47 AM

Scottish Sue, My irritation is now just a matter of being "bull doggie" in nature. I have since figured out the answer to the problem, but it just jerks my chain that no one cares enough to reply, even to tell me to go jump. The non reply is worse, it means they just don't give a hoot.

I have a current problem with one of the lark books, but it is minor and I had my bead pal read it and we came up with a solution that works for me, but in the meantime I have put away a gorgeous bracelet pattern that I should have been able to wear all summer.

I have taken to reading a pattern through and imagining the beads and the stitches. This gives me a heads up on potential problems. I believe that these problems come from a publisher who does not have proofreaders with knowledge of what they are proofing. I have recently offered to help proof a local author's upcoming bead book, her reply was "the publisher does that".........ha! Word processors with spell check should have spell check turned on but the operator must pick the correct word, not the software picks it's best guess. I hate it when I open a book and find a typo. Guess this is all my age showing, getting crotchety. But I make errors also, so I just mumble a lot and go on with it all.

Thanks for the offer of help, I find if I can't work it out, I take it with me either to open beading sessions and we can come up with the answers. Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 120
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 1:26 AM

OK,  Glad you "figured out the answer."  I am taking off for a while. 

SS

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 8:48 AM

This topic is dear to my heart.  Let's face it, I am a crafter, not an artist. The people designing these patterns are often real artists and they have access to incredible subtle shades of beads.  It does make a difference to the result, and it seems to be impossible to duplicate their patterns. The only thing that works is to buy a kit!!!   And the not answering emails is terribly rude and just plain wrong.  And the books and magazines not being proofread is cruel. With beading, the directions have to be exact, exact.  Maybe we should all make a list of the designers who have answered us and those who haven't, the publishers who have mistakes and those who don't.   It is in their own interest to publish clear directions to patterns, and have designs where the beads can be obtained.  Beading is probably at the height of its popularity, and it will decline, like everything else.  Don't they want as many people buying beads and magazines as possible?????

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 12:18 PM

Carolee, I can tell  you in all honesty that both Cynthia Rutledge and Maggie Meister are in the A+ dept. for answering various odd questions on their patterns. I think they both travel and do shows, so maybe not always fast, but they will answer.

The publisher that I have NEVER gotten a reply from is Lacis Books.........very disappointing, but I have a nice rounded collection of beading reference books and no additional ones will come from them, I don't need them if they don't respond to me. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 10:35 AM

I got a wonderful email right away from Carol Huber Cypher.  I really think we all need to start a list.  If I were capable of designing my own necklaces, with those intricate seed beads, I would not need these patterns!!!  The authors have a responsibility to make the directions as clear as possible and the publishers have a responsibility to proofread very carefully.  (I am sure it is not easy with bead patterns!!)

I repeat, it is actually in their own best interest to do this for all the hobbyists who love beads more than anything!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 6:05 PM

Donna, I don't know if this will help, But, I spent months ripping out a pattern for a cuff Bracelet.

(my first love is Oil Painting, or paint by Number) So, I got some peyote graph paper,(free online) and some color markers and set out to color in the Graph Paper to match the Instructions. (Thank Goodness for white out(sold in office supply stores) Because I was able to correct the word pattern before I went back to beading.

Amazing Bracelet and I sold it for $45. (and never will do that pattern again:)

However, I will never do another New pattern  with out first "Color Coding my Graph paper'. I think I said that before a few years ago. It takes time, and I get lazy. and think, "oh! this one looks simple".(you can laugh now!)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS