Marketing

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
lrutland wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 12:40 PM

I decided that I would forego the Church Bazaar craft fair this year.  Our economy here in Ft. Walton Beach is not good and I haven't done this before and the church can't tell me where they will put me until I pay.  I'd have to sell 8 necklaces, etc. just to break even.  What do you all do for marketing techniques when you started your business?  I've got some on sale at a lower end flea market for sale and they aren't moving.  Help!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 607
shanks wrote
on Aug 15, 2012 11:33 AM

I would think you need to visit the Bazaar so you can get a feel of how other vendors are doing, and talk to a few of them. This could help you when more Bazaars come around.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 525
on Aug 19, 2012 12:43 AM

Some things I do is blog (I'm also a stamper so my blog isn't strictly bead oriented) and I'm working on being more consistent with posting. for instance in the next two days I have 4 different projects i want to blog about. i will be scheduling them to post throughout the week. It's more efficient than trying to do it on a daily basis.

I also have a Facebook fanpage  (Creative Eclectica) that I'm working on utilizing more. One jewelry artist that I'm a fan of will post pictures of some of her work in progress and when she's listing a piece to either her Etsy or Artfire store. She also gives peeks into her personal life every now and then.

I wouldn't waste any more time selling stuff at a flea market. People there are looking for REALLY cheap things in most cases people aren't looking to buy handcrafted jewelry.

Have business cards made if you don't have them already. Whenever you do sell something include a card with it so people can refer other people to your site.

Tell people you know about what you do. This was very difficult for me to do. I have a hard time promoting myself. I feel like I'm bragging and I don't like it. I'm getting better at it though and I've seen an increase in my business.

I've also reached a point where I feel about 95% comfortable teaching classes. I took the dive several months ago and taught a Nbedele/Herringbone stitch class and even though the tutorial I created was somewhat rudimentary, with my help, the ladies got it. I'm fortunate to have a studio in my back yard so that's where I teach. The ladies liked it so much (much to my surprise) that I just created 5 different classes for the Fall with two of them being repeats. I posted them on the Meetup group I'm a part of 2 nights ago and 4 of them are filled already. They are small classes-I can only 5 people besides myself in my studio- but filled is filled.

Another thing I do is have a Holiday Boutique in my home every year. I make flyers and put them on the doors in my neighborhood and to people at my church and various other people I come across as i shop and whatnot. Last year I earned enough from the boutique to do all of the Christmas shopping for my immediate family.

Anyhow, as you can see there are a lot of free ways you can promote your business. Go for it and let us know how you do :)

shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 5
lrutland wrote
on Aug 19, 2012 12:24 PM

Thank you all for the advice.  It really helps me.  It is nice to have people who so freely share there knowledge.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Sep 17, 2012 1:41 AM

I completely agree with you about nice people sharing the knowledge. I just joined this forum a few days ago and in my introduction I mentioned a few things about how difficult it is here in Los Angeles about sharing the knowledge and supporting one another as artists again thank you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 252
kathi@46 wrote
on Sep 17, 2012 5:37 PM

Great advice Shellie x

Kathi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Sep 19, 2012 10:22 AM

WOW!  Great advice for us novices- totally appreciate it!  And I am a sister stamper too!

~Kristin

My Blog (started long BEFORE I started beading!):  Sunshine, Smiles & Stamps= Lovin' Life

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
Bead Flowers wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 12:32 PM

Another tip...make sure you wear your most stunning pieces of jewellery whenever you're out and about and always carry business cards with you. You may find people stop you to admire your jewellery (it happens more than you might think!) and then tell them you made it yourself and give them a business card. I'm not sure this guarantees sales, but it's worth a shot and is all about getting your name out there. If it's any help, I think everyone is finding the market tough at the moment - nobody has much spare cash :(...good luck x

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS