Frastrated teen trying to make bead embroidered jewelry!!!

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 18
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 4:32 PM

I'm so frustrated because every time i try to bead embroider something doesnt come out right. I'm beading on acrylic felt and im making a big necklace but i notice that my knots are coming up through the fabric wear my beads are. my knot are coming up to the surface of the beadwork and beads are falling off. My pieces that i try to make are always heavy. I use size 6 and size 8 seed beads. i use a size 12 pony needle with nymo thread size B. What am i doing wrong here? Are you only supposed to use size 11/0 or 15/0 when making bead embroidered jewelry? If so what size thread do i need and what size needle? How do i secure my knots when starting and finishing a stitch? sized 11/0 and 15/0 beads are tiny so what kind of magnifying glass do i need? im so lost and confused please help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 5:03 PM

I believe the best knot, isn't really a knot at all. What I do is make a stitch about 1/4 inch long, I repeat this stitch several times in the same spot. This secures the threat without a real knot. This is how we secured our thread in the tailoring industry. Hope this helps you.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 6:10 PM

thank you, that's a great idea!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,558
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 6:43 PM

I have no clue as to what acrylic felt is.......... take a look at Lacy's Stiff Stuff and/or Nicole's Beadbacking. Both of these products are made to be bead embroidered on and Nicole's comes in colors, Lacy's is all white. I use small beads and don't eve use Nymo B...........that is a very thin thread, and that is probably why it is pulling through your material.

With the large beads you are using, you'll need a much stronger backing and thread to keep it from falling apart. For those large beads, I'd go with white Wildfire, it is thicker then Nymo and thicker than Fireline which a lot of us use. Also, use a back stitch for bead embroidery thus you'll go through more beads and then back through them which could help with not pulling through the backing. Use Sue's idea of multiple stitches to anchor your thread, but I also make knots by trying to begin and end the threads near each other, or I'll stitch over to the start of the thread and then do a knot there.

When you see a large very ornate cuff, some of those beads are 8/o and 6/o sizes, but the ones inbetween are very often 11/o. I use Nymo D for those size 11/o beads along with a size 10 needle.

I am an old fart and I don't need any magnifying class to work with 11/o beads unless I work on into the night, like all night long and then my eyes get tired and I use a pair of 2x magnifiers. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 10
ckquilter wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 2:03 AM

hi ilovebeads

hang in there!! you will get it figured out.

if you are gonna continue to use the felt - you MUST find a different way of anchoring your thread ends. a knot - even huge (quarter inch !!) will still pull through the felt.       the suggestion to run up and down thru the felt several times - is right . 

the felt is not real stiff  - which makes it more flexible, and possibly more comfortable to wear.     make sure you are doing another anchor stitch (down/up/down/up/down/up)    fairly often, as you add more beads.    any big bead should be anchored both before and after. and you should be several strands of thread through them - even if that means going back through the bead several times.

the stiffy stabilizer will be stiffer. but it comes in only white. if you don't want the white, use fabric paint or fabrico pens to color the white stabilizer, before beading on it.  they come in all colors - so you can make that white stabilizer into any color you want.

alternatively - if you want the felt as the base, because it will show; you could always adhere it to the top of the stiff stabilizer - and then bead thru both layers. but you still need to anchor by going up and down several times - a knot alone will NOT be enough.

ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 18
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Aug 19, 2012 7:29 PM

thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 18
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Aug 19, 2012 7:31 PM

thank you very much

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS