Earlier pieces on display (2006)

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 11:21 PM

Photo -- This is some of my earlier work in the display case at our local library (April 2006).

All the pieces are worked in 90 Degree Off-Loom (--SJM Nov 1997).

The Red Bingo Hearts are pins with initial tags; top one is a later version.  Worked with size 13 seed beads.  Original design --sjm.

The Halloween Kids (bottom row) are pins with trick-or-treat bags and earrings:  Ghost Kid, Pumpkin Kid (later version-left, earlier version-right), and Skeleton Kid; Skeleton Kid is a complete set (pin with 'bag' & skull earrings).  Worked in size 13 seed beads.  There are more Halloween Kids designs on file.  Original design ---sjm.

Snowflake Mitten earrings (5 sets; black, multi-blue, multi-green, multi-pink, blue) are worked in 13 to 11 size seed beads.  Pattern (mitten) part of a larger pattern which I adapted from one of my counted cross-stitch books (in storage).  The blue double snowflake mitten earrings are inspired by my childhood -- Mom always tied our mittens together on a string which she threaded through the arms of our jackets (no lost mittens!).  Worked in size 13 seed beads (blue & white, with yellow accents, black cord).

Snowflake Mitten Dangles (at far right top) are inspired by the same childhood experience (didn't have to worry about where to put them).  Worked in size 11 glass (rough cut) seed beads, green with silver and purple with silver, both with gold accents on a black cord; same beads as worked in the White Tree (border at top of picture).  Later.

There's more, but later.  Enjoy Big Smile.  Sarah Coffee

Sorry people, but having problems with my Adobe Photoshop, no more links until I figure out what happened.  Photo is still in Reader Photo Gallery (http://www.beadingdaily.com/media/p/167274.aspx).  Thanks for your patience.

Sarah Coffee   08-18-12   0125   PDT

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 12:39 AM

OMG!!  They are just too cute!  I really like the snowflake earrings.  Now is not a good time to tempt fate, though!(lol)  The skull earrings are pretty fierce, and.....ooo, look!  It's Charlie Brown dressed up in his ghost costume!  This is great!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 6:45 PM

Hi Val,

Thanks for the compliment, but Charlie Brown's head is bigger; Ghost Kid is based on a child's proportions.  Not to worry (snow) -- it's in the 100s where I'm at (and scattered pop-up thunderstorms!) and same forecast (heat) for the rest of the week.

Sarah Coffee

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 11:29 PM

Oh, well....I saw all the jack-o-lanterns, and the first thing that popped into my head was, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"(lol)  We've had a pretty hot summer here too, but I have an uneasy feeling it's coming to a screeching halt.  This is, after all, the Southern Tier of NY.  We usually only have three seasons here- rain, winter and road construction.  Oh!  The fourth season is when we get the other three all at the same time.  Ypou'd be amazed how often that happens!

ValUmbrella

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 5:41 PM

Hi Val,

You got what I was going for -- whimsy, fun, something familiar.  I took your remarks as a compliment Smile.  Charlie Brown (and the Peanuts gang) remind me of my childhood in the Midwest (Halloween, Christmas, etc.).  Garfield is another one of my favorites Big Smile.  If you've ever owned (been owned by) a cat..., try a small parrot (cockatiel); and he talks!  I want to do a pattern of my bird; next project, may be same idea/format as Halloween Kids?

I was stationed in New London, CT (3 yrs).  One summer, it rained every weekend (my time off); the clouds would come rolling in by Friday at knock-off.  By Monday morning, the skies would clear.  However, a little rain would by nice in the land of 'Shake & Bake'; forecast is 106 and sunny (and no a/c) Sad.

Any ideas?

Sarah Coffee

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 15, 2012 12:35 AM

LOL, boy does that bring back memories.  I think I first remember seeing that when I was living in Oceana, on the base.  Dad most likely would have been in Vietnam at that time.

Snicker!  Try being possessed by a couple of West Highland White Terriers, or Westies, as we call them.  They let me sleep in this queen size bed out of the goodness of their selfish little hearts! I'd like to do a resin pendant of a photo of these two.  I'm sure they'd see it as my ID tag- This Human belongs to Us.  Please return Her immediately, so she may return to her serving duties."(lol)

UGH!  What happened to the ac? That's unacceptable!  One thing I can suggest is, if you live alone, sleep commando.  That's the only way I can get a decent night sleep, any more.  As for me?  Going through Round II of Killer Storm.(like we haven't had enough of them already.)

ValStorm

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS