Recent Diagnosis

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 7:29 AM

I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  Currently the doctor is having me try to control it with diet and exercise - I go back in a month to get checked again.  I think I will be able to do O.K. watching what I eat and am currently writing everything down to track how I do.  If any of you are also diabetic, I would love any tips and suggestions.  I had my husband go into the "education" appointment with the doctor with me so that he could hear about what I needed to do diet-wise.  Bless his heart, when I get home from work he has dinner all ready and has already figured out my carbs for me!!

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,874
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 4:51 PM

Hey, Ricki!

Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully the doctor caught it early enough that it can be reversed.  The nice thing about type II is thatif it's caught early enough, with proper diet and physical activity, it can be reversed; otherwise it can be kept well under control.  I won't say exercise, because to me, that's a dirty word!Ick!  Understand you don't have to give up everything you love, just moderate it.  In the last six years I've lost 150lbs., so I've pulled myself back from the brink of developing diabetes.  That doesn't mean I don't have to keep an eye on it, because my dad is diabetic, and my maternal grandfather and all his sisters were also diabetic.  You are on the right track.  I'm so glad your hub's being attentive to your needs.  Good on him!YesSmile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 4:58 PM

My Mom has Type 2, too. She cares about what she's eating and has to take meds. But she's doing very well so far. She always says that she can eat a piece of cake or some sweets every now and then, as long as it doesn't become "usual". She drinks her coffee black now and tries to avoid "hidden sugar" like in fruit juices (drinks tea instead, as she cannot drink water alone) or canned vegetables (fresh are the best, but if not available better eat the frozen ones, as they have no sugar added like they do to the liquids in the canned veggies). Not much that I can say but I hope that helps a bit.

Hope yoiu can get along with it and your body can handle it with diet and execise.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 5:49 PM

I went on a low carb diet with a friend, who was Type 2 Diabetic. (2007) She has lost weight and kept it off. (We both still love the low carb diet tho) Frozen veggies make great Snak whipped up in a Smoothie. Crystal Light  makes a Great Smoothie for hot days when everyone else is eating Rt.Beer Floats. Linda said, for her the key to controling the Diabetes, is Exercise and a food Journal.

My Heart goes out to you, it is a "New world" watching what you eat.  Weight Watchers online has a ton of free recipes for Diebetic folks. (and they are good too)

Best Wishes

mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,874
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 12:20 AM

That they do, Mary, that they do.  There's a reason Weight Watchers has been around for 50 years- their program works!  Best part?  It's NOT A DIET!  Trust me, I've tried pretty much ever dopey diet thatcame down the pike.  They never worked.  Why?  Because diets DENY you things, especially tings you like.  But there is NOT ONE food that's forbidden for you to have.  Really.  They teach you portion control, how to eat out in restaurants, at sporting events; at amusement parks; how to read food labels properly when grocery shopping, and how to be able to eat lots and STILL lose weight.  And you are not forced into buying these stupid prepackaged meals like some other "weight loss centers."  They have snack foods you can purchase if you like, and they always give out free samples to try.

I know; I sound like a walking ad for them don't I?(lol)  But that's how I lost 150lbs in 6 years.  I'm on medical leave right now because of my thumb and kidneys, but I still practice everything I learned to keep my weight from coming back on.  When I get permission, you better believe I'll be back in the office, Monthly Pass in hand, to get rid of the last 50lbs.  Par-tay!  And they can tailor everything for a diabetic, without having to give up every good thing.Smile

Val(in the rainy Atlantic NorthEastUmbrella

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jul 31, 2012 4:08 PM

Val, Mary, Kokpelli - thank you so much for the great advice and words of encouragement.  I am ever so appreciative.  So far things are going well - lost 10 lbs. and am doing O.K. with the new eating habits. First big test will be going out of town this coming weekend...but I am determined.  Your support is greatly appreciated.

I have been so busy at work that this is the first chance I have had in days to pop back in to see what's going on in the forums.

Ricki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,874
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 31, 2012 5:04 PM

Hurrah!  Good for you! 

My life is about to get real complicated- the contractor is coming tomorrow to start my apartment reno.  I'm getting a fabulous new bathroom!  And upgrading my living room.  Bedrooom's gonna have to wait till next time, but it's going to be SO great not having to go up to the main house anymore to have a shower!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 3:22 PM

Ricki, my hubby is type 2 also. At first going out of town or just eating out, would worry him, but he now knows that if he asks to have veggies instead of the potato with his stake, most restaurants will gladly substitute extra veggies for the potatoes. 

Everyone is different, my hubby has to stay away from any type of rice. If he eats rice his sugar will surely spike. So we found a substitute for rice. It is Quinoa pronounced keen-wah. It is a grain that is slowly released digested and doesn't cause a sugar spike. The texture is  very different from rice, but you can get used to it. We had stuffed peppers made with it, and they were just great. 

Anyway  good luck, you can control it with eating right and exercise. My hubby started out slowly, but he now walks 2-3 miles a day, rain, shine or snow. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 7:38 AM

Sue - thank you for the suggestion about the Quinoa - I'm going to look for it next time I go shopping.  I handled my first "big test" last week and feel like I did well.  We left on Thursday and drove to Allentown PA (550 miles) for a weekend long car show where we meet up with our car club friends every year.  Thursday thru Monday it was eating out for all meals - and you were right.  I was able to make substitutions or find something that fit into my plan everywhere we went.   I am also trying to walk every day - not up to your hubby's miles yet, but trying for at least a mile most days.  With each "successful" day and much encouragement, I am feeling better about making the needed changes in my lifestyle - and as a bonus, I've lost 10 pounds so far!!

Ricki

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 61
ElleBlaisure wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 1:40 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have type 1, and have had it since I was 12. I know how hard it is but it sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work /hug. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS