organization & storage thoughts

This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 4:25 PM

I tend to over-think  bead storage and organization issues.  As I've recently gathered & sorted more beads, I realized I had too many to fit into my "color" boxes. I tried to come up with a reasonable divide, i.e. by material, shade etc.  Not only was there not a natural division point among my beads, but anything I chose might not apply in the future.  Then I had a "duh" moment.  

I now have a Green1 and a Green2 box. They're still easy to find, and didn't take forever to organize!

The other thing I did was to buy a lot of storage boxes from the Container Store.  They stack easily, are transparent and come in different sizes & shapes.  I used a lot of these in my closet, too.  And if you live near a CS, you can place your order online, and they'll bring it out to your car at the store. Several of these boxes contain beads or jewelry that people have given me over the years. The cheap plastic beads from 20 years ago are now lovely resin beads. ;-)  These have a very rough sort, but are no longer stuffed into shopping bags on the floor!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jun 25, 2012 9:30 PM

Oh my!  I have bead envy!  I've only got 4 plastic boxes....a bit crammed, but sadly empty compared to your collection!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 9:46 PM

Does it make you feel better that I've been collecting for 20 years? Stick out tongue    Of course, like all beaders, I've experienced this phenomenon

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Jun 25, 2012 9:49 PM

LOL I hate that out of money stuff  :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 11:05 PM

Great Idea on the C.S. plastic storage!! I bought a bunch of plastic at the Dollar Store for in these drawers for little things, and quickly outgrew them!! SO now I just have all these stackables labeled by color, plus separate one for tools, filigree, kumihimo supplies,seed beads, Delica beads, cones/findings,misc, and bead store purchases (they are "My Precious" LOL!). Works well for me, and I have made myself vow to NOT purchase anything else unless it is for a specific project since it took me a full 4 hours last week to unpack all my Michaels, Hobby Lobby and beadstore bags!! (Oh and the framed picture is one my daughter drew of Amy Lee from Evanescence!)-used to be her other room before the beads took over!! LOL!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 11:38 PM

I know!  I feel the same way.  I have a loaded jewelry toolbox, two large storage boxes, my crystal box, a box for my wire and a tote to keep track of my maggies and books.Crying

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 11:40 PM

Yeah, every time I get an email from FMG!(lol)Big Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 12:17 AM

LOL!  That's funny!  My mother keeps asking when she's going to get her sunroom back.  I've told her never; it's perfect for my studio!  Light everywhere!  And a panoramic view of the mountains behind our home.  It doesn't get more inspirational than that.  Plus, there are no media devices in there, just the sounds of nature and the swish of the ceiling fan.  Plus a nice comfy sofa that's great for naps.  It really sounds lovely out there during a gentle rain.  I promise to post photos when Dad comes back with the camera.  I'm really spoilt, working in there.Smile

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:08 AM

Kipper and untmom........... I love storing in those almost transparent containers. I know some beaders who are "locked into" cabinets and ultimately if we were in a race to find a specific item, I'd win just because I can get head start by visual clues. In my bead cave I have five largish 3 drawer units on wheels that slide under a long shelf just under my window. These are dedicated to supplies other than beads, like fabric, plastic bags, picture frames spare looms, etc. If I decide to rearrange, I just wheel one out and put another in. I actually overbought and have three more in my walk in closet in the bedroom. For my delicas that I use the most, I have 18 pencil boxes in which are stacked my flip tubes of each color......this is my working stash. Below them are 24 drawers in small oak cabinets (Harbor Freight rules!) and this holds my back up stash of delicas as I have to buy them in 50 gram bags.

What was my original storage are little 5 drawer stack units that now hold my 15's, 10's, 8's, 6's and daggers and bugles and like that. At each step along the way I've used the last "greatest" system to hold things I don't use as much. Now I am totally settled though and have some drawers for beads that I really don't use much, but when you "need" a bigger bead it is in there. I was gifted a half of a garbage bag of beads from a purge by a pal.............. yikes, more beads than I can ever use. I love being organized and having what I want/need at hand, of course when you use mostly delicas, it is so much easier. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 8:34 AM

Donna-I agree-I ALWAYS know where my Delicas are!! LOL! In fact, packing for a trip to take care of my mom and need to decide in a couple of hours WHICH Delicas I am taking bc I am mailing a box to my brother so want my needles, cutters, etc... in there so I don't have to worry about getting kicked off the plane! The problem is that I can't "need" them in the next two weeks before I go. *Sigh* and there are no stores there that I can buy more if I run out. Thought about just taking stuff to string, but that would end up being more bigger stuff, as I always kind of create on the fly and decide what I like after a few different tries.

BUT I do love it when everything is where it is supposed to be! Now, just need to clean off my table from last night's project of filigree (I swear the stuff multiplies!-REALLY!!)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:26 AM

I definitely need to show some of these photos to my husband next time he complains about all of my plastic tubs full of beads - no where near as many as some of you gals have!!   Of course part of his problem could be that I have taken over the dining room and have things stacked against the wall on tray tables and under the DR table.  I am also a dollar store purchaser - all kinds of fun shapes and sizes of plastic tubs.  I am still  trying to get better organized - you are an inspiration!! 

Ricki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 2:28 PM

Val, your sunroom sounds heavenly! I had once planned to put an old sofa in this room, but used it elsewhere.

Donna,  as I was putting up my beads, I realized that the method I use for my larger beads takes up a lot more space than the new boxes I bought. I could have kept all of these beads in individual bags, and tossed the bags in one of my 7" square boxes.  Since I tend to pull out a lot of beads to play with before starting a project, that would make putting my beads back quicker.  Oh well, at least this way I can look over my beads a lot easier! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:04 PM

Kipper, I get into that sort of a new mess also. Right now I have a project that I photo'd out of the new Beadwork........I don't have the same colors, but I don't use or like them that much, so I pulled two different colorways out.............yikes now I have put all those rejects away. I do keep all 11o seed beads mostly in bags and tubes in one drawer since I don't use conventional seeds that much, so for them they only have to go back in the drawer they live in. All the other sizes are in the small drawers just by size, but I can putl a couple of drawers and get a good color in each size. Also sub-sorted in like 8o drawers are by manufacturer also since they are not the exact same size and don't always interchange for what I do.

At one point I resorted all the almost 1000 delicas into color............... OMG what a mess that was and it didn't last long before I took them ALL back out to the dining room and resorted them by number. Phew. I love to see them by color and so I am doing little color swatches because the palettes in Bead Creator Pro are sorted by color. But to have to hunt down a specific number when they are by color turned into a hair wrenching deal. I did one pattern that way and then did the reorganization.

Ultimately I think the BEST organization for us all is worked out by how we do our projects. Since I mostly loom weave in delicas off my generated patterns or pictures, I am best served by keeping my delicas in numerical order. If I am searching for a color, I can go to my sample cards to match something. All other beads don't need that much intensity in storage............bags and tubes in a drawer works for me. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:47 PM

It's truly relaxing there.  Just finished a neckace of  8mm Swarovski milk chocolate & peach pearls, using 4mm Swarovski peach pearls and 4mm Swarovski vitrail  rounds, switching between those and a 4mm opal Swarovski round and crystal 4mm xilion bicone.  Jeez, I wish Dad would hurry up and get back so I could use the camera!

I don't know about anyone else, but since I discovered the Xilion bicones, I've been in love!  Not 100% on how they do the faceting process onthe stones, but they really look like diamonds!  you know me- I like shiny!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 4:17 AM

Val, I love those colors together, though I hadn't thought of the vitrail in with the others.  I can't wait to see your picture.

Instead of organizing beads tonight, I spent a few hours thinking about how to rearrange the furniture in my studio/office, measuring and considering and taxing my poor fuzzy brain.Tongue Tied  For a few years now, I've been keeping my desk covered in beads, and doing paperwork in the living room or kitchen.  Eventually I'll have it all back there where it belongs.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS