Ebooks versus print books

This post has 32 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
AMVEDERE wrote
on Aug 6, 2012 3:42 PM

Thanks for starting this discussion.  It's good to hear all of the points of view, because I'm considering an ebook for my magazines. Over the last year I have discovered that I really like having a digital copy of my bead patterns and Beadwork magazine because it makes storage and transport easier.  When I was in the middle of a move and lost track of where some of my hard copy magazines were, I poked around for copies of of the patterns that I could download on the cheap.  It worked out really well as a solution until I could find my hard copies, but then I found I worked off of my laptop more than I did the hard copies of the magazines--it was just easier to put my finger on them and scroll to the right page.  It keeps storage and clutter a little more to a minimum, and I can take most of my pattern library on vacation with me now (packing beads is a whole other problem, though).  I've enjoyed using the PDF patterns on my laptop so much that I'm looking at the Kindle Fire as a way to store more magazines and patterns.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 6, 2012 9:42 PM

You can download Kindle software onto your computer for free, you know.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 11:36 AM

I really can't recommend the Fire enough :) I absolutely adore mine. Val - a laptop compared to a tablet is not quite as portable. Trust me, I have the Kindle app on my lappy and while I love it, it was a royal pain dragging my 17-inch, 6-cell battery to class. Especially when it got to a point where on some days, I only needed it for 1 class, sheerly because if we didn't have a copy of our text we were counted absent. My Fire, though, can fit into my bag {admittedly I do carry a huge one though :)}, can contain numerous books, and can allow me to look stuff up on the Internet in a hurry. Not to mention a lot of classics are free now - which is mainly what I like to read. :)

-Katie

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 1:38 PM

It's fairly easy to look at my laptop from where I usually bead, but occasionally I want a hard copy as well.  If necessary, I'll do screen captures and print those. I normally print in black & white, so it helps if the photos or drawings are still clear in grayscale.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 10:02 PM

I read a lot of classics, too.  My Toshiba was a Christmas present and it only weighs a kilo, so it's pretty lightweight for a lappy, and I can stick it right in my Birkin and go!  It has 6-8 hours of battery life, too which is better than the average lappy, and I can store craploads on it.  Plus I can watch my DVDs in HiDef on it.  I can be a bit of a Luddite when it comes to technology, though- I'd still much rather have a book in my hands to read.  I like the smell of books.  You can't smell books on a computer or a Kindle.  It's this weird little quirk of mine.  I still have a VCR.  Mainly 'cos I can't afford digital cable or TiVo or any of that stuff.  I never even had a DVD player till my parents got me one for Christmas one year.  I still have a turntable, too.  But (and this is where I'm going to date myself) I remember when the first computers came out.  We actually had a Commodore 64 (we called it the Commo-Snore! total POS!) and my junior high school had a few Apple II computers!  When I got into high school, we had IBM PCs, with the first Microsoft technology, and we toted around discs the size of dinner plates!(lol)  I learned BASIC and FORTRAN (gag!) and the first word processing software I ever learnt to use was called PFS Write.  We had dot matrix printers back then.  In college I worked with the early MacIntosh computers.  They were AWFUL!!!!!  Tiny screens, and annoyingly un-user-friendly keyboards.  Times sure have changed, haven't they?

OMG, your prof would mark you absent just for not having your text?  What an a-hole!  It's kinda funny to see all the kids in class taking notes with computers now.  When I was in school, we brought mini-recorders to class and taped our lectures, then transcribed them later.  Laptops didn't exist back then, and a computer would set you back a few grand, instead of a few hundred. Weird, huh?  I have my beading stuff in print and on computer; depending on how it's available.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 12:14 PM

We got a Packard Bell when I was 5 {this was 1997, so it hasn't been THAT long ago lol}. I'm the generation that grew up with technology so I kind of embrace it, lol. But due to finances I don't really have the best of the best...I only got an iPod touch a year ago. The Kindle was a birthday present that will hopefully save money these next 2 years on textbooks, and I've had my laptop for 4 or 5 years now...still running Vista, lol, but I'm not complaining. {I usually don't upgrade to the newest operating system right away because that's basically a beta test.}

The absent w/o text thing - it was an English class, supposedly a 200-level class {I think?} but I literally called it "book club with grades". Learned nothing, hardly wrote a thing. Just a lot of reading crappy stuff and having to watch a lot of movies. {The prof seriously said she counted films as a kind of literature...I was done with the class right then and there mentally lol.} I'd much rather have been reading The Three Musketeers.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 1:20 PM

OMG!  Packard Bell!  I remember those!  And what a pain in the butt they were, too!(lol) Yeah, you whippersnappers have no idea what life was like before computers, cable and so forth.  I remember when we still had rotary phones!  Actually, I kinda miss those.  I also remember life before cell phones, too.  I remember when the firsrt ones came out- they were HUGE!  They called them The Brick (no, really!) and they had these big honkin' antennae on them.  My how times have changed in the last 25-30 years.(g)

We got my dad a Kindle for his 75th BD last year.  He likes it!  Go figure; he's more of a Luddite than I ever thought of being.(LOL!)

That so-called English class sounds like a complete waste of money.  As for the Three Musketeers?  I like the movie version with Michael York.  It's hilarious!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 6
AllieMDA wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 2:38 PM

Peg, there is a Zinio app for the iPad. I've found the iPad an ideal way to view pdfs and other magazine-formatted pages. Just hold your iPad vertically and it'll approximate a magazine page. I wish I could write on it sometimes but it does have the advantage of not tearing apart from overuse!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 10, 2012 11:58 AM

Val -

I don't really remember ours being a PITA - then again I was too busy playing games on it to really notice anything, lol. I've seen some of those "brick" cell phones before...didn't they have bags to carry them around in? lol

Yeah, it was a waste of time. I passed easily and it probably didn't hurt my GPA, but it wasn't intellectually stimulating either, lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 1:42 AM

Har!  I can tell you a thing or two about video games!  In the late 70's we had a SuperPong game, then in 1982 we got the Atari!  We still have it, with a buncha cartridges.  It's actually worth some serious buckage, now.  I don'remember if the Brick phone had a big bag to tote it around in, but its successors certainly did!  Go watch the first Lethal Weapon movie and you'll see what I mean.

Ugh!  What a snoozefest!  I probably would've gotten tosse out for sleeping in class.(g)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 6:28 PM

All we ever had was a Super Nintendo - and to this day it still works, lol. It's hooked up to a big-screen at home but now that I have my own place and nobody at home plays it, I'm thinking about bringing it down here. >.> {Not that I'll have a lot of time, between school and getting a job D:}

Oh it was a snoozefest. If I hadn't made friends with a few girls I probably would've been bored to death. As it was, I was probably one of the most talkative ones in class - but that's probably just because it's my nature, lol. {In my Economics class last semester, I was also the most talkative one...and the one most likely to be on facebook >.>}

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,864
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 15, 2012 12:51 AM

Lol, I picked up an Atari Retro for the 25th Anniversary.  Get this- my nieces LOVE it!  Whenever they come over, they nag to play it.  With all the technology they've got, they'd rather play something with crappy graphics and goofy digital sound effects.  Go figure.  I should come up with a Pac Man Bracelet or something.  No bead sewing tho.  Not with a broken thumb that only has 10% ROM left.

Ugh!  Waste of money, and time!  I hear ya!  I like to yammer, too.  It's my nature, I guess.(g)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MaryW@112 wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 9:15 PM

Have you tried to capture a screen shot? If not, try this:  Hold your home button down while at the same time push the off button.  The iPad will take a screen shot and send it to photos.  From there you can email it to yourself and then print it.  I've done this many times to print patterns for my personal use, even from magazines in zinio.  I know this works on the iPad, but don't know how the Kindle works.   Hope this helps.

M

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 10:56 PM

I hate to be the 'fly in the ointment', but what happens to those e-books if your technology fails?  I know how to back-up my files on a computer (disk, zip, etc.), but how do you back-up your e-books?  Or can you?

What's involved with 'self-publishing'?  I'm working on a tutorial for 90DO-L (Intro, legend, tips left to complete; final layout).  I'm planning on printing a hard-copy for myself, but not sure where to go from there.

I prefer a book -- something's missing just holding a flat screen.  I print out my patterns so I can mark my place, or make alterations on the fly.

Thank you for starting this thread -- helps Smile.

Ottercat Coffee

10-12-12 (2041 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:50 PM

I switched my Beadwork subscription to Zinio last year.  One reason was that my beading stuff was totally disorganized, and I would always be able to find my online copy.  Another big advantage is the ability to take a screen shot of a project photo because I like to have .jpgs of the tutorials/patterns that I have. 

Now I have my bead room much more organized.  I even have most of my bead stuff in there!  I know where my bead magazines are.  I miss having a paper magazine to browse.  When something comes in the mail, I want to look at it that day.  It's just not the same getting an email that a new issue is available!

I also bought beading book on Zinio that was on sale.

At this point I'd much rather have all of these on paper, and will switch my subscription back to paper.  This is best for me.  Otoh, if I lived in a NYC apartment, space would be too precious for anything that could be stored online.

Ottercat - you can back up e-books. The process would be a bit different if they are in a software-specific format, but still doable.

I love my Kindle reader for novels though.  There is free software available to read Kindle books on your computer.  That's the one I use. I can even read in bed with notebook computer on a bed tray.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS