How to mount bead pictures

This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 5:11 PM

I've mounted a few beaded pictures so far using different methods. I just did a slightly larger one and it did not work out well. I was concerned that the larger ones being heavier would need a different method, so I used quilter's iron on backing and then attached that to the fabric that lines the frame...............did not work out well at all. The quilters backing stuck nicely to the beaded piece, but not at all well to the fabric in the frame. I reinforced it with double sided tape and I have it standing up to see how long it will hold before falling down inside the frame.......and I don't expect it to be very long.

Have you framed any beaded pictures? How did you do yours? I'm open to ideas at this point, I've had some successes and now a big fat failure getting ready to happen............ I'll have to redo that one, but I've got two more sitting here waiting to be done and need some thoughts and ideas. These are larger ones like 8x8 and 8x10 roughly and they are much different to work with than the small pictures.

Donna, with a big question mark hovering over her head

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Jun 13, 2012 3:34 PM

Did you by chance wash the fabric in the frame before you tried adhering the bead embroidery piece to it? It also may be a weight thing. If the piece is too heavy then it won't stick.

My suggestion is to maybe hand-sew the embroidery to the fabric that goes in the frame across the top edge if at all possible and then at the very least tack it to the fabric along the sides. It sounds to me like it just needs more "support".

shellie :-)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 6:27 PM

Thanks Shellie, that is what I do with the small ones and it works fine with both microfleece and microfiber materials. With the bigger ones I was concerned that stitching would make the top edge want to dip and weave because of the weight hanging from it. And honestly I was trying to avoid stitching each bead down as the widths on the smaller piece is prox. 5" so it is 80 beads across and more than that down.............it is a hefty little piece.

The one that I had the potential problem with is a project that has plagued me from day one, the pattern came out a bit darker than I wanted but it is hard to tell on the screen and I think I must have changed the screen to "movie" setting which makes it all brighter.........ugh. Then I didn't have a loom at that moment that was wide enough, so I did the picture in three strips, I hate doing that too. Got it all off the loom and sewed it up and it is "ok".........and that is not good for me as I am a bit obsessive and compulsive too, about my work. Sigh. At each step of the way I thought I wanted to take it apart and redo it, now I just want it to go away and I'll redo the pattern over and make it lighter..........there is no getting around it, this is my personal project from h*ll.

The other two are mounted, the smallest one seems very secure and the largest one has backing on it and five full length strips of double sided tape which seems to hold onto the backing very well. We'll see, but I may have to give up and sew them............waaaa. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
AlexiaFF wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 10:56 PM

Hi Donna,

I have sheets of Timtex that measure 15x22. They use this for fabric vessels. If you like, I can mail you a few sheets. I think this will solve your problem.

Let me know if you want to try the Timtex. It is perfect for a backing. 

Alexia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 6:27 PM

just looking thru old messages and come upon this one with much excitment oh what fun isn't it. lol

We will all get this figured out. lol

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 8:59 PM

Kathy, interestingly enough that remains my only problem mounting. That poor parrot picture still looks bad to me because it is so dark. I am looking at the background fabric and I'll have to take it apart and see what I used, but it looks like a microfiber that I bought from an upholstery shop and it really isn't the same as the other stuff I've used. And maybe microfiber just has that property of short pile and allows things to rearrange themselves, like sliding out of a chair that is slippery or something. 

I'll go at it again, maybe this time I'll stitch fabric to the picture and do the thing like Ottercat suggested and make it like you do a canvas to paint on. Or, I can try adding a mat board to it first and see if that holds it in position. That is a good idea too, but the frame shop will see me coming and hang out the closed sign........LOL.

I had forgotten all about the original problems with this picture, it was sort of doomed from the beginning which is sad. A professional photographer I know took the picture, he doesn't understand how my bead pattern program works, so he tweaked it up a bit (rolling eyes here) and put a cute border around it, well the bead program interpolates colors next to each other so the black background and the red border came out black to two shades of reddish brown and then back to black. I really need to just get rid of that one and do it over. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 7, 2013 4:50 PM

Hi Donna,

I'm still researching and trying to figure out how in the heck to attach and secure this piece to whatever medium to it is supported evenly which will spread the weight and no bubbling or saging or whatever. lol! This is crazy.

I have a few places I have emailed hoping with all hopes they will come up with suggestions of how to mount this HUGE (or at least huge to me) peyote piece. 

I'm just scared of beads breaking and don't want to use glue or such on the beads as I think over time the glue or such will eat the threads and then beads all gone. lol!

I don't know maybe I'm overthinking - but I like to research big time and feel good about what i'm doing and it feels right.

I will certainly keep you all informed.

The research continues

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
AlexiaFF wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 11:34 PM

Hi Kathy,

I have large sheets of tyvek. I can send you a sheet. This stuff is very strong and easy to stitch through. If you are interested just email me.

Perfect material for your project. They use it to make fabric bowls.

Alexia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 10:01 AM

Hi Alexia - is this archival?

Interesting thought for a loomed beaded piece - which has room between beads to get the needle thru.

The peyote has no room to get the needle and thread thru between the beads to attach it to fabric or various boards? Lol. My conclusion is you can't sew it on (large peyote pieces) that is.

This is great help for everyone who does or would like to do a large bead tapestry of whatever bead technique and would like to frame it versus hanging on a dowel of some sort.

Will google this and find out about this.

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
AlexiaFF wrote
on Mar 16, 2013 7:39 PM

I would say yes. It won't rot. 

There is no way you can stitch around the outer sides of the piece?

Is there a way you can bead peyote strips across the top to make loops to hang off a dowel?

If you change your mind about the tyvek let me know. Offer stills stands.

Alexia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 564
Beadiecat wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 2:56 PM

Alexia, I like your idea of loops to hang off a dowel.  I think that would look very nice.

Cat

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 24, 2013 5:45 PM

Hi Alexia there is no way to stitch the peyote around the edges onto any type of material.

I would like to frame this piece, so I am not sure about doing the peyote strips and put on dowel and then into frame - is that what you are thinking hang on dowel and out in frame fess standing?

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 925
on Mar 24, 2013 8:03 PM

I have had a few pieces mounted professionally. In discussing this with the frame shop, I'll share what I know and how my pieces were framed... Over ten years ago now and still perfect. They used a foam board, piercing an outline of the piece then stitching it to the board. They have boards in many colors, so it won't have to be white. Even each fringe were stitched into place. Then, it was matted and framed into a shadow box style frame. If it is Peyote, then maybe you can use the bead edges to secure while sewing, by going through them. My pieces are not matted, but for a portrait, you can then cut a mat smaller then the bead edge ti hide any stitching.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DiVon80 wrote
on May 14, 2014 11:48 AM

I have a 9 x 12 beaded tapestry that needs to be framed..  Have you figured out anything new since this was written in 2012.  I am trying to get idears.. Thanks.. Dianne Wiley

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 14, 2014 2:31 PM

I would think that the beaded picture/tapestry would have to be stretched and fastened much how an artists' canvas is done. This takes away the glass and frame part itself, unless you put it in a shadowbox?? Just some thoughts.... 

marutibeads.com - some really cool beads..

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS