Elven Blue Freeform Bracelet

This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 11, 2012 8:10 PM

I've finally remembered to take a picture of something!  This is my second free-form bracelet.  I had a lot of fun making this.

I highly recommend Karen William's book FreeForm Peyote Beading: Design and Creation of Original Wearable Art Jewelry for anyone interested in free-form work. I added a brief review in the Books section of the BD forum.

Ugh - I just noticed the thread showing in the 1st photo.  I went back & trimmed it,  then forgot to take a new pic.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 147
whatsup1 wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 7:04 AM

Very nice. I've never understood how freeform works, I'll have to take a look at the book.

Peg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 11:50 AM

WHOA!  Very nice!

I can't do bead stitching any more since I broke my thumb, but I can admire!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 1:32 PM

Very pretty and so creative! I love the purple :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 8:21 PM

Thank you all.  :)

Val, I hope the thumb isn't a permanent injury.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 9:29 PM

yeah, I like that and would not have guessed as a peyote free form! I just don't get things that "free form"! My little mind cannot get around it! Guess that's why delicas are my favorite bc they are so perfectly symmetrical and even!! LOL! But great job!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 10:32 PM

I wish it was temporary, but it's permanent.  They had to remove bone during the second surgery, and I only have 10% ROM in that thumb now.  And of course, it's my right thumb.  Still, I can hang onto my pliers, so I can still do stringing and such.  Just not fine work like sewing and weaving anymore.  I'm lucky it wasn't amputated!  All because I fell down the stairs in January and had no idea I'd broken my thumb till it got infected and went septic.  Sigh...

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 11:29 AM

(((Val)))

I can't even imagine... so sorry... :-(

Impressive freeform!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Jun 13, 2012 3:42 PM

Very lovely! I should try free form beading. I have a workbench full of loose beads and I think it would be fun to see what I can come up with as I pick them up and string them all together in a cool fabulous "pattern" ;)

Love the colors you used and the  lacy effect it has

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 9:38 PM

Thanks!  I must say, I'm grateful I can still bead at all!  It keeps my spirits up, especially now that I've learnt I'm nearing Stage 4 renal failure due to the infections and nonstop antibiotics.  Means my kidneys are shutting down and if the docs can't kickstart them into working properly I will need a transplant.  Crazy, huh?  If I wasn't going through it I'd think I was watching a lost episode of "House."  But designing my jewelry and staying in contact with my beady buddies keeps me sane!  I frequently get ideas, and work on projects whilst I'm in hospital.

It's been a very unusual year, but at the same time, I've made a lot of wonderful new friends.  I'm hangin' in there!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
KWseattle wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 10:30 AM

Wow!  Thank you - I am honored and flattered by your post!  And I love your bracelet. 

Freeform peyote can be so many different things - it's such a flexible stitch technique.  I love seeing people run with it and making it their own.  Your piece is so open it reminds me of a spiderweb or lace.  Very beautiful and organic! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 9:26 PM

Val, I'm glad you're hanging in there!

I had beaded before, but started beadweaving during a long stint in hospital.  It helps immensely to have some creative activity for part of the day!  It's also nice to have something to talk about with the staff besides health issues.

Hugs,

Liz

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 10:11 PM

Thanks!

Best thing I can do, especially since I just found out I'm terminal.  I have maybe a year left, at best.  My kidneys just refuse to kickstart back into proper working order.  They're going to do a biopsy in a couple of weeks to see what's shutting them down, then they'll begin interviewing and typing my immediate family to see if any of them are a possible transplant match, and if that will help me.  In the meantime, my jewelry is so enjoyable to work on, and my friends help to keep my spirits up.  We'll see how it goes!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
KWseattle wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 7:41 AM

Val - you have an incredibly positive energy! All of that from a fall and a broken thumb, I see why you feel like you're in the lost episdoe from House.  I truly, truly hope that your personal miracle arrives shortly. 

And in the meantime, I'd love to see some of your work!  I swung by your profile page, but it didn't have any pictures. 

Glad you're still able to bead!

Karen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Jun 16, 2012 9:00 PM

I think maybe it will- with so many people praying for me, God might decide it's not time for me to come home yet.Angel

Dad's got the camera fixed, so I'm going to start photographing tomorrow or Monday, upload them to my files and try to get it right this time when I upload them to the site!Angry

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS