HELP! Thread Breakage!!

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
suntree wrote
on Jun 11, 2012 7:28 PM

Hi!! I hope i am posting this question in the right area...
So, for years i have been making and selling peyote stitched necklaces, most times i peyote stitch crystal around then add thread to the sides for the necklace part. For years i just nymo d for the peyote stitching AND the necklaces part  but found out someones broke, i i switech the necklace part to fireline thread, its almost like fishing line! Strong!
And someones just broke!! I cannot figure out why... it can't be the weight, the fireline says up to 6lbs, my necklaces are definitely not that heavy. Could the inside or edges of the gemstone beads be rubbing that easily to break through TWO thread of fireline??

I cannot figure this out... are there stronger theads i should know about?? Please, ANY help would be soooo appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 13, 2012 1:03 PM

suntree-

6# Fireline doesn't mean it will hold 6#s of beads it denotes the tensile strength of the line. Fireline was origanally a fishing line but you know how clever we beadersWink are so what was once only fishing line has now become a great beading thread.

There are any number of reasons your thread maybe breaking. From just a bad batch of Fireline to the crystals you are using cutting the thread. If you do a forum search for "breaking thread" you will see many previous posts on this and maybe you will be able to pin point your problem.

Where exactly is the thread breaking? On the ends near the crimp? Or more in the bead work itself? If you have a photo of the broken bracelet it might help us more if you posted it so we can see exactly what's happened. We might be able to give you more specific help.

Good Luck

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
suntree wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 5:08 PM

Thank you so very much SEllen!!! I think, now that you mention it and giving it some thought, that it probably is the crystal, gemstone beads i am using!! Do you know of anything I can do about that? Stronger thread?? Is there any way to prevent the crystals from doing so?

Sorry for so many questions... :)

MANY thanks!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
shanks wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 8:19 PM

Use a tapered bead reamer and make just a couple of turns. This will smooth any sharp edges and should solve your problem. Just a couple of turns now.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 11:38 AM

No appologies needed we all have questions at some point.

I don't really work with alot of crystals but with the few I have used instead of butting the crystals together I use another bead that will sit close between  the crystals and will prevent the crystals from rubbing. Kind of like a bumper. kwim? I also reinforce my stitching so there is more than a single thread holding things together.

There is a free e-book using crystals that is available in the "Free Resources" section. I don't know if this would give you any helpful tips though. I would suggest doing a forum search for using crystals. I know that this is also a common topic. You might be surprised at some of the remedies.

I do hope you find a solution. And sorry I can't be of more useful  help.

Good Luck

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS