beaded dog tag

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Taniyama_Mai wrote
on May 11, 2012 8:39 AM

Ok. so I downloaded the pdf here to make beaded(ladder stitch) dog tags with the zodiac signs. I got through the first 4 rows of my Pisces just fine, but now I have to decrease the next row, and my issue is that the way they explain how to do it...doesn't make sense.

When I add two beads to my thread and only go through the 2nd thread loopy place(lol) it gets very...herringbone-y. It just doesn't seem right so I looked up a few videos on the ladder stitch and the few videos who did show multi layers did it a much different way and would end up with my thread going through the first bead and not the 2nd like ^ that. I've tried only adding one and slipping the thread under the first thread loopy thing and then adding the 2nd but that didn't work at all, (though it kinda looks like it would work) but I just can't seem to figure it out. Is it supposed to look like herringbone? It seems like that end bead would be rather loose.. If you'd like to see what I've got right now I have pictures. :3

*EDIT* OK, I figured out what I did wrong. And I totally feel stupid now>> Ignore this^^U *mumbleteachmetopostbeforeI'msureIneedhelpmumble*

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on May 11, 2012 1:33 PM

T, also note that the symbol for Aquarius is not correct if it is the same download that I have. Talk about picky, but when I got to Aquarius and made it!! then hooked it to my cell phone case and wore it and looked at it for some time before I went ..................hey, that's not right. The correct Aquarius symbol would omit the final "up" arm. I am sure the designer applied "artistic license" to the design, but any self respecting Aquarius would be irritated with it, I sure am. Now every time I look at it I laugh, but it is still a bit irritating.

Good that you figured out  your error, don't sweat it, but I did look at the nice beady picture you posted and went, well that's ok..........  I made a brick necklace for my SIL a few years ago, 6 beads wide increases and regular, the necklace was 20-some inches long and I zipped it up and made a lovely tube out of it, so I had lots of practice increasing in brick................ Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Taniyama_Mai wrote
on May 12, 2012 2:45 AM

Actually, I just did a little search, and it doesn't seem far off from what I found. Almost every place had something different.

I found these by themselves,

and even fanart like http://www.zerochan.net/992233 isn't much different than the pattern. What is it you're thinking of is the real symbol?(and what colors did you use?) And if it is wrong it shouldn't be too hard to change. I love the shape of the dog tag so much that I'm going to try and make some of the planetary symbols. (I'm using the old XP windows paint program and I took a screenshot of the PDF, removed the 'pattern' and now I just have the shape which I can add/make whatever patten I want now~)

Yea, I wasn't working the stitch enough to get the bead to lie flat. Thing is, at the top where you have to decrease the last 4 rows, that one bead likes to keep moving. There isn't enough above it to get it to stay still. And any time I try and use my thread to fix it, it only makes it worse. Is it supposed to do that, or am I still doing it wrong?

and, if anyone's interested, here it is finished(I haven't added the loop cause I'm not sure what I'll add it to, and if you want to see the other side just right click and 'view image'):

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on May 29, 2013 11:47 AM

Nice Pisces!

Yes, when doing brick stitch I start decreases this way: http://www.artbeads.com/how-to-brick-stitch.html

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on May 29, 2013 12:05 PM

I sure missed the original poster's follow up on this................ Hopefully she will be still active and see Brightcircle's note also. The artbeads "how to" is exactly how I do mine, each row will hold the previous one but especially when you get to the last row with a decrease that doubling of the stitch holds it square to the previous row. 

In case you are still around, the blue aquarius symbol is the right one. Two "humps" and the last stroke goes upwards. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 30, 2013 3:17 AM

Wow, this is really a creative idea.  Share your beaded dog tags if you find the right way to finish the work.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
MO Hillbilly wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 9:07 PM

Where might one find the pdf for the beaded dog tags? They do sound interesting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 2:42 AM

MO Hillbilly:

Where might one find the pdf for the beaded dog tags? They do sound interesting.

MO, it was originally printed in the Sept/Oct 2007 Step by Step Bead magazine, and reprinted as a project on beading daily.com later. The name of the article is "What's Your Sign"........... do remember, if you are doing these that the sign for Aquarius should be two "hills" and an upstroke tail. The original pattern shows three "hills" and that is wrong, wrong, wrong. I left off the final downstroke and moved the pattern over about three spaces to recenter it or make a shorter dog tag.......... Do a search (top of this page) under Projects, choose Interweave projects, then on that page you will have something like 13 pages, arrange them by "name" and go to about the third last page. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 29, 2014 10:28 AM

You can also find the project in the free ebooks column under brick stitch.

miqui

Not Ranked
Posts 11
stacygranger wrote
on Jul 31, 2014 5:11 PM

I want to try and make one of these. Thanks to those of you who posted the instructions. I would have never thought to do something like this. :)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS