Final year university students needs volunteers for research

This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
kristen 1974 wrote
on Apr 16, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kristen and I'm a final year Occupational Therapy university student in Cardiff, Wales, UK.

I have enjoyed beading for over 10 years and decided to use my hobby as a subject for my final year paper that I have to research and write.  I've tried to get volunteers face to face and have been finding this difficult and now with a deadline fast approaching I'm beginning to panic.  If you could spare 5 to 10 minutes of your time I would be forever thankful.  The title of the paper is "An exploration of beading as a meaningful creative activity with adults."

All it involves is you answering some questions.  The questions are...

1.            Can you tell me what it was about the activity of beading that first drew you to it?

2.            Can you describe how you feel when you engage in this activity……..

3.            What would you say you get out of it?

4.            How much time do you usually dedicate to this occupation (activity)?

5.            What relevance does it play in your life?

6.            How would you rate this activity on a scale of 1 to 5? 5 being extremely meaningful and 1 being of no value at all....

5 – Extremely meaningful

4 – Very meaningful

3 – Moderately meaningful

2 – Slightly meaningful

1 – Of NO value at all

Demographic statistics (Voluntary but would help greatly)

Gender (please circle or indicate)                Male                                   Female

Age        (please circle)     18 to 30                             31 to 45                              46 to 65                              65+

Employment status (please circle)              employed PT/FT,              unemployed,     Self Employed, Stay at home Parent, Voluntary work,       Retired

That's all the questions.

I have a participants information sheet (also consent form for face to face volunteers) and I can email this to you or maybe post it in a separate message.

If you have any questions at all or wish to do this through email then my address is osmundsenk1@cardiff.ac.uk 

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can help.

Kind regards,

Kris

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Apr 21, 2012 10:25 AM

Hiya!  Decided to do this for you!  :D

1.            Can you tell me what it was about the activity of beading that first drew you to it?

I don't have much jewelry because I can't really see paying those exuberant prices for it.  So, I bought some a friend made, and found it of actually higher quality than the beaded stuff you usually see in stores.  So I wanted to make some for myself.

2.            Can you describe how you feel when you engage in this activity……..

I get a sense of accomplishment when I make something that looks good and that I'll actually wear, or that I feel someone would buy if I wanted to sell it.

3.            What would you say you get out of it?

A beautiful and unique piece of art.

4.            How much time do you usually dedicate to this occupation (activity)?

Lately, two or three hours most days.

5.            What relevance does it play in your life?

It keeps me occupied when I don't really have much else to do.

6.            How would you rate this activity on a scale of 1 to 5? 5 being extremely meaningful and 1 being of no value at all....

Employment: Homemaker

Hope this helps you and good luck with your paper!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
teonaaa3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 10:41 AM

wonderful topic to do your final year paper :)

that's start:

1. I have probably congenitally inherited it as my mammy is occupied doing it and I'm doing it as far as I remember myself

2. this is the only thing I can do when I'm too anxious, it makes me calm and feeling of peace.

3. Never

4. probably 5-7 hours in a week, but wish to have more free time to do it

5. hobby

6.  although spend a little time with it, it's Extremely meaningful for me - 5

Female

age 31

Employed

I thing it will  prove useful to you :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 11:09 AM

#1. My Granny, taught me to bead with seeds before I was old enough to go to school. (Bead Embroidery today) She called it "Busy Beading".

#2. Fun, and profitable, Relaxing, Peaceful.

#3. A way to increase my income, and do projects I enjoy.

3#. 20 to 40 hours a weeek. depending if I have custom orders or just making gifts or things for craft sale. It is a Daily Activity for me.

#4.Beading is my time for me. My Meditation time, I don't worry about anything, but what bead comes next in the pattern I am working on.

$5. Its a 5 for me.

I am 67 yrs old, Female and cant remember when I wasn't beading something.

I am retired Cosmetologist, soon returning part time to work in a Beauty Shop here in Deming, NM..But will still bead 20 to 40 hrs a week.

Good Luck.Kris

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
SewSewBeader wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 11:23 AM

#1.I was 65yrs old, and I moved to Iowa. Nothing to do, So, My Sister talk me into making Beading Bracelets. One Bracelet and I was hooked. It was a Rope Bracelet. I sold it the first time I wore it to Wal Mart.

#2. I feel like time stands still. I sit down to bead, and I forget to stop for lunch. It is so relaxing.  It takes my mind off the pain in my inner ear.(I have been fighting Cancer in the inner ear since 1969)

#3.When I can't sleep from the pain, I can get up and bead. It relax's me. Beading replaces alot of pain meds for me. I get some money from the things I make.(enough to buy more beads)

#4 I never kept track of the hours per week. may 20-60 depending on how much pain I have. ( I am a quilter and crafter also)

#5. I live alone, so Beading is a Hobby and a companion.

#6. scale of one to five, its a five.

I am female, 76 yrs old and Retired.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 24, 2012 7:28 AM

Above all of these I like your post very nice and informative.

THanks keep going to steady way to share information......

http://www.yahoo.com
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:30 PM

Beading Daily Members are like Family. I am so surprise to see so few folks have responded to your request.

So Come on BD Help this student out. fill out the questionaire. Please, Pretty Please..

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 1
TwylaA wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 5:21 PM

1. Loved the beautiful products and participate in several crafts, so decided to teach myself this one to have some of the things I desired.

2. Pretty focused. It is a hobby that I keep telling myself I will stop at the end of the next round but just keep sailing past that because I get inspired and really want to see the product through to completion.

3. Fabulous distraction. It takes some pretty good attention to keep the colors, patterns and very tiny holes of the beads in line, so not one of those that I can do mindlessly while involved in conversation or something else. It lets my mind get off problems or conflict or pain for the time I work, like meditation, so I can come back at it refreshed and ready to start anew. Not to mention the beautiful end results that cannot be achieved any other way!

4. Because it is only one of many crafts, I would say perhaps a day or two a week would be how it averages out. Sometimes more or less by project.

5. Rewarding to accomplish the results, inspiring to develop product, restful to do work.

6. 4 - very meaningful

female    USA/midwest   46-65     stay at home

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Tank Girl wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 1:50 PM

Kris,

First, I want to apologize for not doing this when I first signed up last month.  I just assumed that since April, you were probably all done!!  Here goes:

1.  I inherited old pieces of costume jewelry from relatives over the years.  Most were in such bad shape (falling apart) I decided to try my hand at restringing them myself.  Mixing and recombining the beads and crystals was wonderful!  I loved it, but it wasn't until 7 years ago that I tried designing and making my own, and that hooked me.

2.  When I am immersed in my jewelry making, I have something of a calm excitement.  It relaxes me, but I am thrilled to mix and match colors, textures and shapes, and see something actually come together.

3.  A feeling of accomplishment that most other activities haven't brought.

4.  Not nearly as much as I would like, as I still work full-time.  I will go for 5 days unable to get to the workbench.  Then, I'll put in 6 hours in one day.

5.  I now have my own (teeny tiny) business and I have made money from my creativity.  That's pretty big to me.

6.  5+

I am female, 46 to 65, Employed Full-Time

I would love to see how your survey is taking shape!

Good luck,

Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 4:06 AM

Sorry Kris, I thought this was done.  So here goes:

1) the beads themselves (seed beads) and the possibilities.

2) calm, focused, connected.

3) new skill set, sense of accomplishment, stronger and newer neuron pathways (yes, that happens), connecting with others and retaining my individuality.

4) 4 or more hours at a stretch, depending on the piece (past experience); 2 or more hours, couple of times a week -- various projects (learning).

5) Connecting with others; making things for family and friends; expanding my horizons.

6) 4 -- very meaningful.

Demographics:  Female, 46 to 65, retired.

Good luck with your project.

Ottercat Coffee

10-16-12 (0205 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kristen 1974 wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 6:38 PM

Thank you so much for answering my questionnaire I have now completed my paper should you wish to read it please do not hesitate to contact me 

Sincerely Kristen

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS