best gold & silver seed beads

This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 14, 2013 10:38 AM

I used clear seed beads on a recent project with cobalt blue accents and the effect was silver (white-ish). They came out quite lovely and were the first thing to sell this week. Of course, they were slipped onto a silver hoop, so that could be why.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Beadelicacy wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 3:42 PM

I, too, am a lover of galvanized beads and sadly have a collection of intricately patterned beaded crochet ropes done in the original galvanized beads from which the colors have rubbed off. I haven't made these for a couple of years because of this problem.  So I was thrilled to find the "permanent finish" and "duracoat" beads last summer. I have so far only worked with the Toho permanent finish galvanized. I've put them through what I consider two "acid tests", one wearing a crocheted rope which has a solid surface of beads, as a bangle bracelet; and the second, I did six different colors in a kind of rainbow pattern, wore them continuously for a couple of weeks and then threw the bracelet in the bottom of my purse for another month. In both tests, the finish has held up beautifully. I'm one of those people who is allergic/acidic, too, so when I say "acid test" I mean that literally. 

I have several tubes of the Miyukis but haven't worked with them yet, so I don't know if they'll hold up as well. I'll post here when I do test them.

In the meantime, I'm having some difficulty finding the Tohos in stock in the colors and sizes (primarily 11s) I need. I've been working on a series of bangles with the galvanized beads and semi-precious gems, and they're turning out really gorgeous. 

Any tips on the best place to buy are appreciated. So far, my regular supplier, Beyond Beadery, is closed until Nov 1/2013 and I have projects I need beads for NOW!  Fusion Beads and a couple of other places are also "out of stock"!

Pleased to find this thread. I look forward to any replies. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Beadelicacy wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 6:13 PM

Found them! Whim Beads (http://whimbeads.com/cart.asp) has a good selection of both the Tohos and the Miyukis. I've placed an order and will update with how the order goes. 

Just realized I haven't introduced myself! Guess I should do that in that section, too. I've been beading for 24yrs. Before I got into beads I had a pottery studio but had to give it up due to family and health demands. I miss the clay but the beads have turned out to be a great substitute. I do mostly needle weaving (peyote, square, right-angle), beaded needlepoint and beaded crochet. Very little loom work. I decided if there's anything to the idea of past lives, I must have been a magpie or a raccoon - I love colorful, sparkly things!

So happy to find this forum!

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS