Writing a submission?

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 50
Goddessjoy wrote
on Oct 1, 2008 4:05 PM

I've been wanting to submit pieces to Stringing (among other magazines) for some time now. However, I have an issue that keeps me from doing so. I'm severely dyslexic, and the task of writing step by step instructions for a piece is, well, frightening. I can write steps that make sense to me, but will leave the agerage person in tears trying to decipher them.

Can anyone offer some helpful pointers to writing submissions that would make it a little less scary for a first timer with "issues"? Big Smile

Blessings.
Peace.
Joy
www.goddessjoy.com
My Art Fire shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 6:46 AM

My first thought was to write the instructions and then have someone try to do it to see if it makes sense to them. A friend, co-worker, etc. 

If is makes sense, then mission accomplished. If is doesn't see if they can help you make it clearer. Another thought is that once you have made the piece, sit with a friend and tell them/show them your steps and let them write the directions down. 

Those are my thoughts for now. 

Best of luck with it! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Oct 2, 2008 8:29 AM

1. give a copy to friend, and let frtiend read it.  If it is an simple dyslexia, the text can be corrected

2. If it is not clear, read it to a friend, and see if your friend can transcribe it, or

3. record your reading of it, and give tape to someone to transcrtibe for you.

Dyslexia in others doesn't bother me a lot, if I know one has it; I have a very minor version and can usually correct my errors.  That, combined with partially amputated fingers and small keys [!] produces a lot of errors.  I try to proof read twice, but some errors still sneak through, so I need to correct spelling again, after posting.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 50
Goddessjoy wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 4:08 PM

These are all great suggestions! I'll have to give some of them a try.

I think another issue I'm trying to figure out is my creative process in general. I rarely plan things out, and mostly go with my gut when creating, especially with jewelry, and mosre often than not I work in a random order that often doesn't make sense to my beading friends.

Time to try some new things!

Thanks again!

Blessings.
Peace.
Joy
www.goddessjoy.com
My Art Fire shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 6:32 PM

I aced reading comprehesion and english composition in college without trying even, so if you would like someone to proof it for you, I'd be more than happen to help. I am adult ADD on top of taking a lot of meds(2 class 2's and 2 class 3's), so I understand the problem with trying to get your thoughts to come out right. I taught my ex-bro-in-law to read and write good enough to get along and he is dyslexic. His parents never sent him to school of any kind because the kids laughed at him in the second grade or somehting. I know that kids can be cruel, but come on, she was not helping him oout by not sending him. He was 19 when I started out and trust me, it's a job that is not for the faint of heart. I have a little background in deciphering that too, so I think that I can figure out what you mean and then convey it in an understandable manner. I'm disabled and retired as well, so I have plenty of time to do it too. And don't worry, you have a forum full of witnesses to attest that I promise not to steal your ideas and run off to make a million with them. Stick out tongue Just let me know and I would be more than happy to do it. I understand the struggle that you have to deal with and it can be hard at times. Just let me know.

Billy ;o)

PS: There is a Goddess in my life too. She isn't of this world though. You may know her or at least who she is since all Goddesses must be of some sort of order and have some kind of secret handshake or something.

Alastar ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 2:07 PM

I don't always plan things out either, so I understand your problem when it comes time to write instructions.  The only times I've tried to write them have been after the fact, and I was wishing I had kept notes! 

The others have had great suggestions-only other thing I would add is even if you work in a weird way, write (or record) instructions as you go even if it's not in order.  You can always change it around later.  The main thing is to get a record of it as you're doing it or just after so it's fresh in your head.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Oct 3, 2008 2:48 PM

Jsmaz:

I don't always plan things out either, so I understand your problem when it comes time to write instructions.  The only times I've tried to write them have been after the fact, and I was wishing I had kept notes! 

I finally did that last night, for a pair oif earrings I was working on.  Now to clean up the notes, so I'll understand them the next time I want to make a pair.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Oct 5, 2008 4:34 AM

Goddessjoy:

I've been wanting to submit pieces to Stringing (among other magazines) for some time now. However, I have an issue that keeps me from doing so. I'm severely dyslexic, and the task of writing step by step instructions for a piece is, well, frightening. I can write steps that make sense to me, but will leave the agerage person in tears trying to decipher them.

Can anyone offer some helpful pointers to writing submissions that would make it a little less scary for a first timer with "issues"? Big Smile

use the magic of spell checker? i know Microsoft Word has that. even Firefox browser has a built in one (which oddly not applied on this forum). just right click on the red lined words and select the correct spelling from their lists. :D

you seem to write ok to me. my fiance is slightly dyslexic too and he sometimes mixed up "p" and "b".

besides that you can ask the help from your friends or relative to check on your essays :) don't let your fear stops you =O

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS