Share Your Beading Space

This post has 86 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Kcrystina2 wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 6:50 AM

While reading the updated thread on organizers, I thought it would be great to see what everyone's space looks like. So, take a picture of your space -- show us how you are storing & sorting your beads & toys -- and post that picture here to share with all :)

We can all use some inspiration from others when it comes to organizing our space! lol

I'll post mine once I get it resorted after I get this iMac traded in for a Macbook tomorrow. Right now, everything is all over the place & can bearly see my desk! lol

Regards,

Kcrystina
---------------------

Mixed Media Designer
www.kcrystina.artfire.com

Follow me on:
Twitter: kcrystina
FriendFeed: tinastephen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 8:33 AM

Fun idea!

I'm pretty lucky - I have a whole room to devote to my craft. I just have to share it with 2 cats (the dogs don't have the run of the upstairs). With the two cat trees, a house, and plenty of cushions, PLUS the bay window from which to watch the birdbath, butterfly garden and squirrels, it's a kitty wonderland. But I digress...

So I have an L-shaped desk to work on, with a cork board above for hanging spare threads, color wheels and inspirational items. To the side there is a full 5 shelf unit to hold supplies, books and magazines. I use craft boxes to hold my beads and label the sides.
I sort by color and whether beads are Synthetic v. Natural. Turquoise has its own box, since I like it a lot. I recently had to get two boxes for Pink Natural and Pink Synthetic, since they were with Reds, which were overflowing!
Metals are boxed by Base Metal (by tone), Copper/Gold, Bronze/Brass, and two boxes for Sterling Silver - one Bright, one Antiqued.
Separate boxes for Vintage Beads, Chain, Wood Beads, In Progress, Lampwork Beads, Focal Pieces, etc.
Wire, thread, leather cord and baggies each have a shoe-box type plastic storage.
Milagros are kept in a velvety-padded, glass top display box.

On my desk I have a great organizer that holds my tools and spools of coated beading wire, clamps and scoops. I also have little caddies with crimps, guardians and clasps. I have both a regular and an Ott-type lamp, my iPod player/clock and other random fun stuff. I pretty much work on those felt pads and TRY to clean up at the end of a project.

My room, desktop and shelves:

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery
www.lamariposagallery.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Sep 30, 2008 8:51 AM

Excellent ideas!!!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Sep 30, 2008 10:46 AM

She is brave - having all her stacks of beads so close to the "cats gym" ... =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 11:46 AM

Monica - Great space! I too am very lucky in that when my nephew moved out and back to his house, I was able to get my beading room back. Although I don't have that much storage shelving etc. ( I would rather spend the money on the beads! LOL ). 

I have to agree with Inca - I have a cat that must have kinetic powers as it seems that she can knock something off from the other room ( or she is that fast in hightailing it out of there when she knocks it off so that she is in the next room when the Boom is heard ! LOL ). 

II would not begin to take a picture now as it is TOO MESSY! Everyone would shudder at the mess. However, it is my happy Chaos!

Congrats on your room though! THANKS for sharing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Sep 30, 2008 12:23 PM

Sheila H:

I have to agree with Inca - I have a cat that must have kinetic powers as it seems that she can knock something off from the other room ( or she is that fast in hightailing it out of there when she knocks it off so that she is in the next room when the Boom is heard ! LOL ). 

But Sheila isnt your cat the "indy 500" cat ?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 12:42 PM

Fortunately, they never mess with the shelving, but they do like to walk across the desk when I have beads spread out. If I stop mid-project, I cover the beads with a couple of the boxes to avoid any issues. 

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 4:31 PM

Inca you have a GREAT memory & yes at 3:00 am he is!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Kcrystina2 wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 6:36 PM

Monica, what a great space! I love it! That cork board is a great idea too, plus the shelving. I'm curious though, what exactly are you using for your tools and wires and such? And where can one find one?! lol

Give me another few days or so and I'll share my space... waiting for macbook to arrive & then get my Mother -- she was born to organize lol -- in here to help me organize things.

Regards,

Kcrystina
---------------------

Mixed Media Designer

Follow me on:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,235
popnicute wrote
on Sep 30, 2008 9:52 PM

weee... i'm doing everything in my room!

this is my computer desk when it was clean! i do my graphic things on this computer. btw, the CRT monitor is already replaced by an LCD now.

this is my beads table..it's all messy and this one was taken like a year ago probably.. but yeah.. it does still resemble that look now only less messier.. with different beads on the table! lol! it's just this wooden-plastic old computer table of mine that's got replaced by the pic above.

since it's impossible to do anything on that table, i usually do my work on the floor!! or on my bed.. or any other spots which is comfortable enough. lol. i try to be more organized now tho.. trying......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 35
MonicaP@10 wrote
on Oct 1, 2008 10:10 AM

The desktop unit is from the Container Store at www.containerstore.com - search for an item called "Silver Mesh desk station". It's half off right now - I should get another! It's a nifty organizer and I have a few other items from their mesh collection.

I use the left side back "pocket" for pens, scissors and a ruler.
The right side back is where I put notepads, receipts (til they go in my binder) and scraps of paper with ideas.

The middle long section I lined at the bottom with a cutting of my felt beading pad. I put my tools pointy side down lined up in there.

The front left holds my little scoops and my spring clamps. Plus a little baggie with sterling scraps from cutting head pins, etc.
The two other front 'pockets' are where I put my beadalon, etc., spools lined up. Sometimes they want to roll out at me though!

Monica

La Mariposa Gallery

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Kcrystina2 wrote
on Oct 1, 2008 11:27 AM

Thanks Monica for that information... on my way over to check them now... something tells me their going to be making a sale lol

Regards,

Kcrystina
---------------------

Mixed Media Designer

Follow me on:

wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 2:39 PM

You guys are going to make me clean up my desk?  That's just mean.Devil  My shelves are relatively well organized, but my desk has projects in progress, mending, broken kid toys, etc etc.  I'm sharing a room with hubby-we decided we each get half the room, and kidlet gets what's left over (the floor).  I'll try to make it look respectable and take a couple of pics.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Oct 3, 2008 2:54 PM

Going to try to impress us, now that you've spilled the beans?  Tsk,tsk.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

wrote
on Oct 3, 2008 3:11 PM

Nah, it's not THAT impressive, but it's my space and it works for me.  That's what really matters right?

Page 1 of 6 (87 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS