30 Day Challenge For Craft Month - March 2012

This post has 51 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 12, 2012 10:20 PM

Cat:  Thanks for the tip about the wires.  I'll look into that.

Sellen:  As much as I hate to think about it, having the Bead Room is only temporary, while I am here taking care of mama.  Once I can move back home, there will be no bead room waiting for me, and I will be struggling to find a place to work.  I have some ideas about what I should have, but DH is being remarkably obtuse when the discussion arises.   Perhaps that's because he has already claimed that small, third bedroom for his own uses.  Hmm 

Thanks for the compliment on wrapping.  I'm pretty pleased with the faux amber.  The river rock is another story.  But . . . never say die.  I am determined to get it wrapped and will certainly show it.

Now to find some pix of other parts of the challenge . . .

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 12, 2012 10:39 PM

Oops!  Didn't realize that I "did" Day 3 twice. 

Day 10:  Use a Found Object in a Jewelry Design

One wonders whether "found object" is to be taken literally in this challenge, or should it be taken to mean just about any non-beady, not-associated-with-jewelry item that one can incorporate into a design.  At first, I looked at fender washers and nut (and bolts) kinds of things, but recognized that those are exactly the kinds of items utilized in Hannah Rogge's Hardwear (from which I shall soon take quite a bit of inspiration). 

As it happens, I opted for a more literal approach.  I was cleaning out a drawer of mama's old junk and pulled out quite a few ballpoint pens.  Some few were the "clicker" kind.  I salvaged the internal spring from those that wouldn't write any more and decided to incorporate them into these earrings (sans hooks, of course).

I can't say that I particularly like them.  At the time I made them, I really felt that this was more exercise than design.  Did anyone else tackle this part of the challenge?  Do you feel like you improved your design eye when doing this?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 391
Wolfykwe wrote
on May 13, 2012 9:51 AM

Carol!  what a fantastic job!!  I had wanted to try those ones out, but could not find any crystals at our stores with which to make them.  Great job!

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 391
Wolfykwe wrote
on May 13, 2012 9:55 AM

PAKA!!!  You've done such amazing work!!  I'm really impressed and proud of you!  You are incredibly inspirational!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 391
Wolfykwe wrote
on May 13, 2012 9:57 AM

Ricki!  You did quite a bit!  Good for you!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 19, 2012 2:35 AM

Day 12:  Repair a Broken Piece of Jewelry

I made a necklace with a toggle clasp on beading wire with crimp tubes.  A friend tried the necklace on.  Instead of using the clasp, she tried to put the thing over her head, and, you guessed it, the crimp failed. 

I remade the necklace, shortened it, and used the crimp technique I learned in my recent class with Holly Gardner:  crimp bead, flattened but not folded, wire guards (also flattened as crimps) attached directly to the clasps.

I can't imagine that my friend will be tempted to try to put the shorter necklace over her head!  If she does, it's triple crimped.  Yes

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 27, 2012 12:31 PM

Day 7:  Use a Different Metal in Your Jewelry

I had to ponder this a bit.  I had just started doing things with copper when we tackled the January earring challenge, so I couldn't fall back on that.  Luckily, I had gotten a copy of Hanna Rogge's Hard Wear a couple of years ago and wanted to try my hand with some of that.  As it turns out, fender washers (which actually used to be used to support automobile fenders way back when) are often galvanized to prevent rust.  To galvanize is to coat with ZINC, my new metal. 

Herewith a Rogge-inspired belt of washers, wooden beads, and 72" boot laces.*

I am pleased with how it turned out, but plan to disassemble it and remake it with different beads and suede cord (DH was a tad stingy with his washers).   This, at least, is proof of concept. 

I would really like to get DH to dig out some of his old washers, the ones he inherited from his uncle and father.  Even living in cities, years away from farming, these old guys saved everything--as does DH.  There are bound to be coffee cans full of old nuts and bolts and washers just waiting for me to admire their rust and then add a preserving coat of acrylic before I turn them into jewelry.   I have also been reading about how to paint metals and think I ought to give that a whirl if I can ever get DH to start digging (and, I hope, cleaning out that back garage).  Devil 

Another thing I've been thinking about is getting out the hammer to see what kind of texturing I can do on these washers.  DH reacted to this idea with horror:  "You'll damage the coating!"  Um, yes.  (See above.)

I have thoughts of beading them, too, but I quickly suppress those thoughts.  Still, adding some fiber with a blanket stitch might work . . .

ZINC.  It's the new silver.  Wink

*Thanks to my model, K, who graciously agreed to be photographed on a bad hair day.

Page 4 of 4 (52 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS