something to think about..

This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 5:11 PM

Emma,

Some other Japanese threads to look for are SoNo and (sorry, I'm drawing a blank here)

There was a long discussion on the subject of waxing once, and plenty of people mentioned that the heat treatment was an essential part of the waxing.  One woman in Arizona (hot and sunny) said that she threaded several needles and set them in the windowsill for awhile before using.  For me, the curling iron works fine if I wrap it around the circumference of the iron, and slowly pull it through the clamp.  This was with beeswax, not sure what it would do with other waxes.  Btw, the iron doesn't so much get the wax to stick to the thread as soak the wax into the thread fibers.

(for some reason I'm verbose today!)

Liz

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,950
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 10:27 AM

Just bumping up to get spammer off the top of the page.

Have a great weekend everyone.Big Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 12:35 PM

It took me awhile to remember when I had the stickiness problem that Emma mentioned.  The first necklace I made was very thick with beads, and I used beeswax on the thread.  It was definitely a sticky mess!  This isn't a problem with Thread Heaven.  I've read that microcrystalline wax is the best to use, but I've never tried it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 1:18 PM

During one of the many classes I took to learn all the stitches I could, I commented that we had just taken out our hot water tap that sits next to the sink. My instructor said she couldn't do without hers and said she used it when she was done with a project to quickly rinse off the wax................ of all the interesting and unique ways of ridding a piece of waxy residue, that was the best. Made me almost sorry to get rid of that thing which was in the way of our water filter system.

My beeswax is always so hard that I never have overwaxed a project yet. I have more of a problem with Thread Heaven (although I really like the stuff) because it makes my fingers slippery and I have enough problem with holding tension in my old stiff fingers as it is. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 4:34 PM

I know what you mean Donna, my fingers and hands get slippery too and it drives me mad! The second my hands get even the slightest bit sweaty I have to go and wash them.. So you can imagine how barmy I get when it comes to wax.

Would you not get worried about damaging the beads when you rinse the project? Or weaken the thread? GAH! Its all too much for my little brain!!! I'm not sure the brand of wax that I own (and don't use) All I know, is that it is in a small dark blue square box container.. probably no bigger that 1" squared... I will look for it when I get home and give you the name of the brand (If you all already don't know what it is)

Emma
xXx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 5:37 PM

Emma what you have in the blue box is Thread Heaven which is different from wax...it is a thread conditioner that helps protect thread from various things. It also helps to stop the thread from fraying and tangling...it works by creating a static charge so the thread repels itself! It is a man made, non petroleum thread conditioner.

Wax also works to protect the thread and helps with the fraying but it will stick the thread together rather than repel it...so it's helpful when working with doubled thread!

You can use Bees Wax, which is obviously a natural product that should only contain pure bees wax (different from candle wax or paraffin wax). I just threw out an old chunk of Beeswax that I had for so long it was hard as a rock!

Beeswax really works best if it is heat treated to really set the wax and get it to soak into the thread. This also helps to stretch and straighten the thread. And it seemed to keep the wax from being so messy...when I figured out how to set the wax with a curling iron, my hands and beads would not be stitcky and covered in wax.

Back when I used Nymo, I would have to warm up/soften the beeswax in my hands (or my bra, haha) before applying it to my thread...and then I would use the curling iron trick. But you certainly don't want to use the curling iron for you hair after this...haha!

I like to use Microcrystalline wax if I need really tight tension for structural work. This is a man made, petroleum product that does not dry out or get hard like Beeswax. It is easy to apply and not sticky or messy, but I apply it sparingly and just run the thread through my fingers a few times. I don't know if it is recommended to heat set this wax, but I never saw the need to!

And I like Thread Heaven and usually use it with any Nylon thread. I will run my thread through the Thread Heaven and run the thread through my fingers a few times to smooth it out. It does help with the tangling and protecting etc. And I haven't really had a problem with it being messy or with my fingers being slippery from it.

But I do find myself washing my hands every hour or so when I am beading! Then my skin feels dry so I have to apply lotion and then I have to wait to bead until the lotion evaporates so it doesn't get all over my beads and thread...haha!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,256
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:19 AM

Tia, where do you buy the Microcrystalline wax? I would give it a try if I knew where to buy it.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 10:31 AM

Sue I think I picked it up at my LBS for a few dollars. Most stores buy it in big chunks and they melt it down into little 2oz plastic "to go cups"...you know the ones that restaurants sometimes use for Salad Dressing? That little cup of it will likely last a lifetime too! 

You can probably find it locally (LBS, Craft Store?) but I know I have seen it online too...I will look around to see if I can find it again and let you know!

You can keep it in the plastic cup or cut the wax into little cubes or something. I just cut out a little piece of the plastic cup on opposite sides so I can easily run my thread over the wax...and I use one side for regular thread and Crystal Fireline and the other side for Black Fireline because it leaves a little residue in the wax which turns it black...

Here's a photo of it...

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS