Are big eye beading needles good for bead embroidery?

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 16
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 4:28 AM

Beading needles are hard to thread, so can  i use big eye beading needles for bead embroidery?  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
OriginalSin wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 8:35 AM

Hi!

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Big-eye needles are not strong enough to pierce a foundation repeatedly - they're made to go through bead holes exclusively. You'll find yourself with a crunched needle if you try. I know it's possible to find threaders for beading needles, and you might want to check out some of the bigger online suppliers such as Fire Mountain Gems or Artbeads to see if they have them.

Andréa

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 11:58 AM

I completely agree with Andrea! No big eye needles for embroidery!

But you could try the size 10 or 11 sharps. These are so much easier to thread for some reason compared to the regular beading needles. I always get it on my first try! 

With embroidery you won't always be going through the beads quite as many times as you would with certain bead stitches, so you might be able to use a size 10 without too many problems and they are easier to thread than the smaller sizes. 

The sharps are shorter and less bendy than the regular beading needles so they work well for getting through the bead backing material...

And as Andrea said, you could always try a needle threader. The little wire ones always seem to break after a few uses though so don't just get the cheapest one! Or get a package with a lot of them!

I know I saw some new threader tool from Tulip needle company on Carol Huber Cyphers blog page recently. I'm not sure if they are available in the US yet but it looked like it would work a lot better than the little wire threaders! It almost looks like a mini tape dispenser.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 10:22 PM

I would be interested in the threader you mentioned.  I much appreciate the reference.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 8:35 AM

Yes, I agree with the others that big eye needles are no good for bead embroidery, especially for heavy backings. If you can't find a threader, use a thin wire or fireline to thread the needle, as those might get easier through a tiny needle eye.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
Angel@35 wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 9:23 AM

Hey Tia,

I didn't know we could use Sharps for beading...cause I too have the most difficult time getting thread thru a needle.I'm thinking those needles were to big to go thru various beads, I always thought we had to specifically use beading needles for beading...duh! As long as I have been doing crafts you would think, I would know to ...use what works best for you! Gonna try this on the next project....Thanks girlfriend!

Angel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 1:24 PM

Hi Angel,

I agree that we should always just use what works best in each situation...and beading needles are thinner than sewing needles, especially at the eye end!

But Sharps are beading needles...they are just shorter (around 29mm to 32mm long) and not as bendy as the regular beading needles so they offer more leverage in some circumstances.

I use size 12 Pony brand Beading Needles, both the regular ones that are just around 2 inches long and the sharps that are a little over 1 inch long and both sizes come in packs of 25 for $1 to $2. I also find Pony needles are easier to thread than other brands I have tried!

I always have some sharps around for stitching in shorter threads and for embroidery or other projects where I feel like a stronger, less bendy needle is needed!

To see an example of Sharp Beading Needles check out this link to Fusion Beads:

http://www.fusionbeads.com/shop/productchart/4505/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 1:27 PM

double post due to the posts being held for moderation!

Not Ranked
Posts 16
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Feb 1, 2012 8:07 PM

thanks for the reference and im definitely going to look up that threader because that would be a great help to a begginer like me!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS