Business Cards

This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 3:06 PM

Those pesky business cards!  For some reason they seem to be my stumbling block when it comes to setting up any kind of legitimate business.  I know I need them to get to the next level and the minute I start to think about them I withdraw all thoughts of going any further.  I have several businesses that want to carry my jewelry but in order to do so I need to come up with a business card.  Why is this so hard for me?

For those of you that have business cards, how did you design them?  How did you come up with a business name? How did you create a logo? And, where did you have the cards made and approx how much did it cost?  Hope you dont mind the probing questions.......     Its funny, I have some graphic arts experience, if someone came up to me and needed a business card I could help them design it on my software, no problem. But, I can't help myself!!!!

Sharon

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 523
on Jan 18, 2012 4:10 PM

I have as of yet been unable to come up with a logo on my own. Until I can afford to hire a graphic Artist/marketing (hopefully student) I have picked a pre-designed card and some things to go with it to go with it from Vista Print. They have HUNDREDS of choices so the odds of anyone near you having the same logo is next to none. I'm still waiting for the delivery of my initial order and am excited. It's something for now anyway. Oh, I got mine on special and a set of business, cards, stickers (to put on the jewelry boxes that I package jewelry in and a banner for less than $40 (half of that was shipping). I got it so cheap because a week ago they were having a special and several of their items were free/on sale so I took advantage of it. It would have cost me $150-200 if I had paid the regular price.

Anyhow check out Vista Print. Even if you don't find a graphic you like you might get inspired to come up with your own.

Happy Beading!

shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
MeganH@18 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 7:13 PM

I was an avid Vista print fan until a few months ago.  Before, they always had free offers and I would got a ton of stuff fairly cheaply.  The last time I went to order, the costs seemed much higher than normal.  I stumbled across another site called gotprint (www.gotprint.com).  I got 500 cards, color, double sided for less than what 250 cost at Vista Print.  With gotprint, you already know the shipping cost as you go along and you don't get a big $18 surprise at the end of your order. 

I chose a couple of pictures of my jewelry to use on my card. 

The only change I'd make for my next gotprint order is to not get the ultra glossy finish (can't remember what it's called).  It's hard to write on it with a regular pen.  Good luck!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 9:31 PM

Shellie and Megan,

Thank you both for replying.  I will definately take a look at both print options. Rather than design my own, that might be the way to go.  How did you come up with names for you business?  I wouldnt mind just using my own name but Im such a private person, I have a hard time thinking of my name being all over the internet, though I realize I will need to utilize a blog or web page.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 10:03 PM

I made my daughter design mine! LOL! Told her she was not going back to college without doing it. Here's what she did for me. Used a picture of one of the first earrings I made and "hung" it from the letter. It's not too fancy, but I like what she did. Took it on a flash drive to OfficeMax and they tweaked size and printed for me for about $30.  Contact info is of course on there too.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 478
Calico3 wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 3:58 AM

I designed my own using an old Print Master program and just print them out as needed at home. A pack of clean edge card blanks is about $6 at Walmart. There's A LOT of options for the header/business name, fonts, small graphic images (and you can import your own), etc. My business name is a carry-over from many years ago when I was a quilter and did lots of craft shows. When I switched to jewelry the name still fit so I've kept it. Oh, and I use the same font design from my business cards on my Etsy shop banner so everything matches.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 12:55 PM

Sharon,

For a name - think of things that might apply to you or your work. Where do you live? What are your hobbies? Do you have a nickname or a pet name that your friends and family call you? My "handle" and e-mail address for many years is doxiedinos @ *****.com. Doxie for the dachshunds that have filled my life for many years (more correctly, it should be dachsie) and dinos for the dinosaurs and other extinct creatures that have been my hobby and interest for almost as long.

Our store's logo is a train with "beads" coming out of the locomotive's smokestack. Train depot became Bead Depot. Inside the store, we have our pre-WW2 toy trains (and other train themed items - like a telephone that looks like a locomotive) on display, as well as some Santa Fe railroad (reproduction) posters. We had a graphic artist design the train for us, and everyone who sees our logo comments on the train.

Cards - while we were in the flea market, we got our cards from Vistaprint. They weren't fancy, but they did the job for us. Once we moved into a brick and mortar store, we had a local company print them for us. We went for the glossy finish (yes, it's hard to write on but it makes a good impression) and a heavier card stock. I get a kick out of people who pick up one card and try to separate the "extra" card. Heavier cards look better longer - a customer is less likely to toss out a card that looks expensive! Don't be afraid to put "something" on the back, whether it's a picture of your jewelry, a short bio or info like "custom orders available" - depends on what you've got on the front. The thing to remember is that, for your potential customers, your card **is** YOU!!!

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 253
beadinstyle wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 4:03 PM

Hi Sharon. I paid for a graphic artist to do my first card, and I believe it was a great decision, even years later. My card is semi-matte, thicker card stock (same as Deb above), and printed both sides. I inherited the name of the business, and perhaps my only regret is that the name doesn't include "beads" as part of its title. Bad for web-browsing, Many people have picked up my card, looked at it, felt it, and then complimented me on it (which is nice, but I give the designer credit for that!).

As I am thinking of an update to include a web address, I shall tweek the design a little but keep the original flavour. I shall include a one line description of the business.which does include "beads" or jewellery, and maybe a drawing of my avatar, of whom I am fond! My card is 90x45mm, slightly different from the regular size, but it fits more neatly into wallets.

Maybe you could think about your favourite colours, or colour combinations. Let your card tell others about you ... I think about style personalities here (cos that's what I do) ... Natural, dramatic, feminine classic or creative in the basic sense. And your "handle" ... I found that very difficult too. But keeping it in line with your personality is a good guide. And Vistaprint was not much cheaper, without the professional finish that lasts. Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Jan 20, 2012 5:21 PM

I am a graphic designer, so I design all of my own business cards. I would not recommend using any pre-made design because they are immediately recognizable for being just that: pre-made. As a creative person, you don't want to be caught being uncreative, if you know what I mean.

I like a business card that immediately reminds me of what you sell, so if I store it in my wallet at a craft show, I will remember why later when I find it again.

If anyone would like me to help them design their own cards, or critique what you have come up with so far, I will work for beads. :-) Just sayin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 2:23 PM

Just bumping up to get spammer off the top of the page.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 24, 2012 11:28 PM

I would have replied sooner, but I was sicker 'en a snake with a pig in its gut. All of you have given me great things to think about.  I wish I had more time to work on the name, logo, design, etc, but it occurred to me that since I'm making all the jewlery for the bridesmaids and flower girl for my daughters wedding it would be a great opportunity to stick business cards in each pkg. This means I would need to have the cards within a few weeks time period.  Sooooo, the two internet print sites might be my best bet for now and then I could work on the permanent logo and design on a richer card later on.

Deb, I have FOUR dachshunds(we should trade pics) and several people have suggested that I use them in the logo somehow--I'm still thinking........         If I dont just use my name, I'm leaning towards using my horse(s) in the name/logo though since they are (indirectly) the reason why I bead.

Ruth, do u mind if I ask what name and logo you use?  And Megabgirl, thanks for the offer, while I also do some graphics, for some reason I find it hard to work on it for myself.  I might take you up on it at a later date. And Untmom2003 I like your card, its much how I would imagine mine to be, simple, but elegant.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 1:26 AM

Hello. I came up with my business name as I get it for free in Australia, If i picked something without my name in it then it would have cost me. I bought my business cards from a site: www.vistaprint.com

This site has free business card templates where you just type in your information. I chose from one of the free designs where you get 250 cards for free and just pay for your shipping. All up my gorgeous business cards which I love cost me $7.00 aus

Hope this helps :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 253
beadinstyle wrote
on Feb 6, 2012 5:36 PM

Hi Sharon.

I apologise that it took so long to get an image up here. Hope it helps.

Much of the comment has been on the colour, and the satin feel of the card.

I edited out some of my out-dated details.

Cheers

Ruth

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 291
Sharon Mc wrote
on Feb 9, 2012 3:14 AM

Thank you Ruth for sharing. I just love the colors of your card, and I can see why you would want to include your avatar, she just fits with the whole image! I dont know why this is becoming such a burden for me.  The responsibility of the business card weighing on me has completely stopped my creative beading process.  I can't lift a needle or bead until I get this taken care of! I think if Megabgirl is still out there reading this thread I would love to talk to her about creating my business cards, I need help, please oh please! You said you work for beads? Whatever you want.....

Sharon

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Feb 9, 2012 11:07 AM

Just sent you an e-mail. :-)

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS