Help with Chain

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 269
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 2:47 PM

I ordered 15 ft of SS chain to make bridesmaid necklaces for my daughter's wedding.  The pics and the description of the chain did not lead me to believe there would be any black antiquing on it.  There is lots of black antique accents on the chain, oh no! The more I look at the chain the more I dislike the black.  Is there any way to remove the black without harming the integrity of the chain? Thanks for your thoughts!

Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Can you return it from where you bought it and tell them the picture did not accurately represent the amount of antiquing on the chain? I would try that first and see if they have something that is more accurate.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 269
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 8:29 AM

Most places will not take returns on cut chain. Of course that would be my first recourse.  Thank you for the thought.

Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 10:25 AM

That is true, most places do not accept returns on cut chain, however if they misrepresented their product and you bought 15 feet of it, at SS prices, then they owe you some sort of exchange or refund...or an explanation if nothing else!

But if it really is Sterling Silver then you should try to hand polish it with a Silver Polish Cloth to see if it takes away any antique/tarnished finish. If this does not work, then they may have used some permanent form of antiquing? Maybe one of our metalsmiths will be able to help you with this?

But Sterling will tarnish pretty quickly all by itself if it does not have Anti Tarnish coating...so if it is just tarnish, then hand polishing it would not harm the integrity of the metal.

That's the only way I clean and polish my silver because I have never heard anything good about any of the liquid polishing "Dips".

But if polishing it does work to take away the dark antique finish, then maybe someone here knows of a safe and quick way to polish it, cause 15 feet of Silver chain will take a while to hand polish!

But good luck with this! I know how disappointing that is, especially since it is for your daughter's wedding!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 564
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 2:21 PM

First I would try negotiating with the store before you alter the silver.  If they definately won't take it back, you could try re-selling it.

If you have to keep it, you might try the baking-soda and hot water method to clean it.  I've never tried it myself, but it looks like it would be the easiest.  Supposedly the tarnish attaches itself to the aluminum foil somehow.

Cat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 269
Sharon Mc wrote
on Jan 24, 2012 9:46 PM

I really appreciate everyone's responses as I knew there probably would not be an easy answer.  I really can't return it to the store, I tried, they wouldnt take it.  I actually like the chain, just not for my daughter's wedding, its a little dark.  I think I will cut off a small sample and try the baking-soda and hot water method that Beadiecat mentioned.  I used to do that to clean my fancy serving silver.  If that doesnt work I noticed a product on Monsterslayer (Tia introduced me to them and I've already used them several times, thanks Tia!) that says it will remove all accent oxidation. That will be my 2nd choice.  If neither of those work, I will just have to buy (ouch!) new chain and use this chain for other projects.

Sharon

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS