A different kind of bead loom -

This post has 61 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 64
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 10:33 AM

If you are strapped for cash, I always suggest making your own loom. It's the simplest thing to do and you can make them out of anything. It may not be a great looker, but it will get you looming and you can make lovely things on a cobbled together loom.

I have a link for making one out of an old comb and a cardboard box. ;) You can also use old picture frames, or even scrap lumber and knitting needles.

It doesn't have to be pretty to work.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
on Dec 11, 2012 11:13 PM

Hi, I'm still trying to find out where to get Rick's beading loom with 2 warps. Every search I try I get the runaround. Would you, Could you pretty please tell me where to find one that I can actually buy and not just watch a video. I would be so very very grateful.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 11, 2012 11:56 PM

Serena Dennison:

Hi, I'm still trying to find out where to get Rick's beading loom with 2 warps. Every search I try I get the runaround. Would you, Could you pretty please tell me where to find one that I can actually buy and not just watch a video. I would be so very very grateful.

Hi Serena,

I remember reading in a beading magazine earlier this year that the Rick's Looms are now being distributed by Beadsmith...of course I could be totally wrong about it being Beadsmith, but it does make sense with them being such a large supplier/importer or beads and beading supplies.

I know that you used to be able to buy them from the guy that makes them (on the site where the video is...that RV beading site) but now that Beadsmith is the official distributer for them I think you should be able order one through any bead store that carries Beadsmith products. I  would check with your local bead shop and see if they could get one in stock for you...they should be able to if they carry any Beadsmith products!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Dec 12, 2012 4:45 AM

I bought a Rick's from Global Beads, Inc. I will attempt to add a link, but in case it doesn't work, do a search for Global. (I can't add the link). Do the search! Things have changed here, when it comes to adding links.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908

Trying to delete, yet another, multiple post, posted by mistake.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908

Trying to delete multiple post by mistake! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 64
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Dec 12, 2012 10:12 AM

So if you're getting a runaround, does it have to be a Rick's loom? There are other ways and other looms to have only two warps.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
smhempel wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 3:35 PM

Hi Helen,

I just purchased one at Global Beads. Not cheap but I have bought more expensive ones than this. Anything to be rid of all of the warp threads. Shipping is high. But then again, anything to get rid of the warp threads!!.

Hope this helps,

SMH

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Dec 29, 2012 4:45 AM

SMH, I wanted to share I added washers, to both wing nuts. Either side of the moveable panel. This allows for a tighter hold, on the Rick's. 

pi also want to plug the fact there are other ways to manage warps, no matter how many are finalized. Just trying to keep your mind open to what else is going on, with the latest loom weaving techniques! :D  I look forward to seeing what you create, on your new loom. Be sure to share!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
SewSewBeader wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 8:51 PM

Just today, while watching the video's for BeadTool 4 I ran accross a Video of and awesome "do it yourself loom" .google Katherina Kostinsky. She has instructions FREE on Sova-enterprises.com.  It appears to be the answer to my looming challenges. there were Free videos for warp less odd shapes also.

just thought i'd share

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Anni Magpie wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 2:37 PM

Please translate BLI. I cann't find it on Facebook, and I would love loom ideas.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
smhempel wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 2:54 PM

look at  globel beads. that is where i bought mine from. i have had it about 2 months now. it is all that i use now!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 64
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 3:51 PM

BLI stands for Bead Looming Intervention. You cannot find it because it is a closed group and you must be added before you can see it. It is based on classes, and if you do not take the required online classes they will remove you from the group.
As always, you have to use descretion if you post anything to an online group. If it is something that you want to keep as your own individual work, or that you don't want the greater public to view: Don't post
There are some super books ou tthere if you want looming idea. Takako Sako has 3 that are excellent. About beadwork is a good source of online info too. Also, Ask and ye shall recieve :) this forum is a good place too.
What kind of loom ideas do you need?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Feb 10, 2013 11:55 PM

Anni Magpie:

Please translate BLI. I cann't find it on Facebook, and I would love loom ideas.

Hello Anni! BLI is an abbreviation for "Bead Looming Intervention". I named it such, so the group would show a positive light to this form of bead weaving. It has been extremely successful, as every member, past or present, enjoys weaving on a Loom. 

I am moderating two Groups. BLI and Bead Loominosity. Over the two years our doors have been open, we have also evolved to a better means of sharing with students and keeping in touch with the Group.

we would love to have you. No need to stay active, but I have to warn you, you'll want to jump right in. I suggest considering BLI as opposed to BL. Bead Loominosity is a more advanced Loom Weaving Group. Neither offer classes, as we once did, but you will learn form others and enjoy reading through our Docs!!

Be sure to email me, if you, or anyone, is interested!!! 

LOOM ON!!! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 64
Ceffyl1 wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 11:44 AM

There is also another group on face book. So far it's a lovely open group. The Loomie BIn is what you would look for. This link might work...just remember to add "www." to the beginning.
facebook.com/index.php?lh=d2767318b29fc4ea94c6182a4b206f3a&#!/groups/theloomiebin/

Page 4 of 5 (62 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS