A different kind of bead loom -

This post has 61 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 16
lai2 wrote
on Jul 4, 2012 9:21 PM

I e-mailed Mr Rick who says he is in the process of making more.  There are none available on his site.  He does not sell directly.  He advised to go to a bead store and see if they carry them.  I think I would like to try this loom, before spending more.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
lai2 wrote
on Jul 18, 2012 3:28 PM

I just received a loom that I ordered from Mr Rick.  It is beautifully made and look forward to starting a project!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
PippitC wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 3:57 AM

Is he making them by special order only? I just went to the website and they still seem to be out of stock.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
lai2 wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 11:22 AM

I am not sure.  I sent him an email and at first he said to call my local bead store.   He also said he was out of them.  Then a few days later, he mailed me back and sold it to me directly,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dimplegrg wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 4:23 AM

That looks nice but a doesn't seems to be reasonable to me.  http://www.ecohands.org/category/products/nepalese-glass-beads You should checkout the above link then you will know what I mean.Those glass beads products are handmade in Nepal and are very fascinating.You gonna love them as I did..Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,716
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 3:08 PM

I checked them out and they are very pretty.  Would it be bad of me to want to buy some of the necklaces for the beads, so I could pull them aprt and create my own design?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 2:27 PM

I just got a little metal craft loom, I use to make them with the springs from screen doors(in the 1960's) for Girl Scouts nail to a board. LOL

I made a free form bracelet with seed beads and was hooked. So when I saw this thread.

Here I am. Well I think, Rick is the first person I ever took a Beading lesson from. (oct 2006 At Casa Grande). It was the Vine and double daisy "Flower Power". I still love making them.

I was fanicated with his loom. I have to put that on my "Santa List".

ps. maybe i could make one with golf tee's.lol

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 2:44 PM

Gypsy Mary, I'd love to see his loom close up, my hubby used to make a loom that would do the "no warps" style of loomwork. but he changed his shop over to metal and the bamboo looms are in the past now. I sold my last smallish one and regret it to this day. I now have a prototype, a Versa Loom, several conventional looms and a humungous Mirrix and my one last hubby-built loom that will do about and 8x10.

I like the idea of a loom at that price that will do "no warps" but his looks a bit more like "pull and pray" which is why I'd like to see one. My local shop carries someone else's looms, so not much chance there. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Oct 31, 2012 2:51 PM

Hi D.M.Z and all.... To do a "No Warps" bead project you need not spend anything on a special loom!   I am the author of Theresa Guthrie's No Warps! Loom Method and am actually the one who coined the phrase  "No Warps" to describe this method.  I used to teach all over the country but a disability has slowed me down.  However, you may be interested in visiting my website  http://moondancedesigns.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_41  where you can buy the 16 page booklet for the technique, a full kit with pattern booklet and loom materials, or you can just buy the simple loom materials.  I have always professed that one needs not spend a lot of money to do bead loom work!  This method can also be used with fibers or beads-and-fiber combination.  My email address is on the website and I invite you to email me with any questions or just to chat about this fabulous method.  I love sharing this technique!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 5:41 PM

Hi T................ I right this minute own three copies of your book! If I teach any advanced students either your No Warps method or similar, they must first take a basic loom class and then I insist they pony up and buy your book (this was before you ended the original Moondance site. I originally bought your book and a kit but I have stiff fingers and had a devil of a time with thetied  strings (as I do with all strings and threads, worse is wire!). Then I came back bought another book and then you graciously sent me another when I could not find mine after I re-arranged my office/bead cave. I hate re-arranging as I always know where something is, and then all of a sudden my work space looks better, but I can find nothing, zero, nada, zip. bupkis.

I am usually very diligent in mentioning your name in connection with the term "No Warps", but failed to do so this time. Your method and the notes and articles I have on the aternate "methods" forms a folder in my reference area.

The reason I had my hubby make me some looms is that I wanted to be able to do your method or others without dealing with the tied ropes and without having to "pull and pray". Your method is the best, I love it and right now I'm looking forward to a new project.............. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Nov 1, 2012 10:24 AM

OH........  NOW I remember you!!   I'm so happy you are still looming.   And we all know that reorganizing and cleaning up is the BEST way to lose our stuff....  Wink   I always have a project on the loom, but I am now experimenting with ZENTANGLE.  Easier on the hands, very meditative, and oh so creative and one only needs paper and pen.
Have a great fall and winter!   ....T 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Nov 13, 2012 3:45 AM

Mary, I just saw your post. If you own a wire craft loom, let me suggest adding some washers at each bolt on the rollers. They help keep the wing nuts taut. Also. If you can tack the loom base to a panel board it will keep the wire loom from twisting. Twisting causes the warp tension to sag and in turn, tons of frustration. 

I just received a Ricks loom. I think it will be perfect for weaving earrings on a loom. I like the availability to have a number of looms, offering various warp management means, in my bead studio. I feel more creative control over a tradition warp tension style loom. My warp management techniques also allow for a number of different warp threads in the same beading. I have been enjoying including multiple warp colors and adding a line or two of a thicker Tex 400. Decreasing is not something a loom, ending without warps, is able to be included In a design. Warp weights offer a means to move the warps for a wavy edge, as an even more decorative designing aspect on the traditional loom.

I won't give up my favorite looms, but will always own other looms of various warp management methods too. Remember, the finished beading,from the loom, does not have to be so two dimensional ! :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 26, 2012 12:14 AM

Thanks, Erin, I will try it..

It will be easier than the way I fixed the twisting and saging tension.. I used duck tape on each end and started in the middle and worked a free form pattern in each direction.Embarrassed I used an emery file to seperate the strands going long ways.(it worked)

I have a custom order for a "Beaded Southwest colors and pattern in a belt." I am on the search for a Beading program, to help with the amount of each color i will need, and the amount of Warp material.... 

I need to look at Ricks Looms again..

Gyspy Mary

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 908
on Nov 28, 2012 8:35 PM

Hello Mary, I got your email, (one of so many I get on a regular basis, especially when one of my pieces are published in a magazine)

Mary: " I used an emery file to seperate the strands going long ways.(it worked)" ------ From what you are describing, you cut a group of warps, having to 'hang' them on the one nail, on the roller of the loom. Then you needed to carefully separate each warp to put them in their respective grooves. This can be a pain in the ...... What I would suggest is to add more nails/tea cup hooks or something to allow more nails. This way, you can wrap the span of the loom, directly off the spool of thread, wrap around a nail and continue back-n-forth, warping a traditional way. It saves time and allows for better tension. It may be more difficult to roll the work, if you want to weave something longer than the loom table, but try it out. A better loom is surely in your future, since you seem to be enjoying this technique of beading.

Mary: "I am on the search for a Beading program, to help with the amount of each color i will need, and the amount of Warp material.... ----There are two programs sold, BeadTool 4 and Bead Creator 6. Both do the same job of transferring photos or pictures to patterns (any stitch). Yes, it does offer the bead count, so you can purchase exactly what you need. Let me also offer this information, to help calculate how many beads you will need for any given pattern. There are approximately 175 to 200 beads in one gram of Delica Beads, depending on the color of the beadm (matts are lighter in weight than opaques, etc.). There are approximately 17-22 Delica beads per linear inch. One square inch of flat woven beads would be approximately 285 beads, or approximately 1 1/2 grams (since you can't purchase beads less than one gram). For every new creation, I use these variables, to get a cost of the beads in the pattern. You can find many on line suppliers to offer the sale of Delicas by the gram. Do a search, since I wouldn't want to offer my suggestion of suppliers. You'll notice quite a wonderful cut in pricing your beading on a loom, this way. As for the warp, you can measure back and forth to see if you have enough. I do that often my self, when I am starting something large.

Mary: "I need to look at Ricks Looms again.. ----- Rick's loom offers only one means of warp management, "minimal warp finishing techniques". It is a great loom and one of the best, for that method of looming. I bought one and find it great for making loomed earrings and accents to adorn my traditional loomings, on my traditional loom. I don't think it should be your only loom, in your bead studio. The creative control you will acquire with a loom that requires dangling warps, can do much more. For instance, I use many different threads/cords and colors for some pieces I loom. It is not able to happen with such a method of looming. There are some wonderful ways to manage the warps, I would love to share this with  you, so lets talk. One more thing, if you are planning on looming a 'belt', realize the "Rick's" opens up to 12 inches at its longest length. You may square stitch sections together to create longer pieces, like a belt or hat band, but again....creative control is lost. Definitely by a Rick's loom. It is good to know the method they outline, similar to Versa and paper clip styles of looms. I think the Rick's is easier and more user friendly than the other two, I just mentioned.

If you want to join me in a Group, where we talk/teach/share information, just like what I did above, for "weaving on a bead loom", email me! Yes

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 5:48 AM

Big Hugs, and a Million Thanks, for the info. I will email you off site.  got to make a "southwest Belt" then I can join a class with you. (as you can see, I need helpWink) I dont want  to take advantage of your expertise.) Karma, ya know!

This is priceless info for a beginning loom-er(sp?)

Gyspy Mary

Page 3 of 5 (62 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS