Where can i find cheap beadd embroidery supplies?

This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 16
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 1:12 AM

Hi im a beginner in bead embroidery and i dont want to spend alot of money on materials so can someone tell me where to buy cheap supplies? Also can someone recomend a good book for beginners on bead embroidery? Thank you!!!!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
lasexybuda wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 12:12 PM

Welcome to the Forum ilovebeads,

If you can find "Dimensional Bead Embroidery"by Jamie Cloud Eakin

book, is a valuable instructional tool for bead-embroidery for all

skill levels, your on the way.

Happy beading and good luck

Irene from the enchanted Island

Happy beading!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 3:47 PM

Cheap may be where your budget is at, but not always the way to go.  

What you want is the best deal on supplies.   I have switched over to Tulip needles, they work well for me and not only last but don't get bent (so far).  Fireline can be purchased at a sporting good store cheaper than most online beading companies or you can go for the multi-7color pack which has 30 yards per roll, just to try the colors.  As far as beads, it depends on what you're doing but for Delicas, I was going to suggest Fox Den but she recently moved and has not reopened for business.  Others here can make great suggestions.  Remember to check Craigs List - sometimes I get great buys on beads there.  Always check your LBS (Local Beading Store) this time of year is great due to clearances for inventory because of taxes.  Hope this helps you some.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 7:13 PM

I was going to say the same thing CryssT said...you don't have to spend alot of money on supplies but don't get "cheap" supplies or you will have "cheap" beadwork that will not be as nice as you probably want it to be!

Besides, not much is needed to do bead embroidery. You need beads, needles, thread and some sort of material to embroider. Of course once you start buying beads you won't be able to stop but that just goes without saying!

For seed beads I would buy Japanese round seed beads by Miyuki or Toho and Czech seed beads...in sizes 15/0 to size 6/0 as well as Bugle beads, Crystals and other embellishment beads and focal type beads.

For Japanese Seed Beads check out Charlene's Beads and Bello Modo. They both sell them in larger quantities and for better prices than most places...even those with free shipping, which Bello Modo does offer, they just don't have the selection that Charlene's has.

For Czech seed beads try Monsterslayer or  Matoska Trading Company. Several Ebay sellers have good prices and selections too. Check out Aura Crystals ...there are others but I don't remember the names! But you have to know what you are looking for and pay close attention to what they are actually selling as well as shipping charges! There are a lot of scammers on Ebay!

Nicole's Bead Backing is a great choice...it comes in 14 colors and several sizes for a good price. You can also use stiffened felt and various types of fabric interfacing. You can even use denim and just cut up an old pair of jeans for free. You really just want something that is not going to fray or stretch and a fabric that will be heavy enough to support your beadwork but not so thick that it's hard to sew through!.

Look for Toho One G Thread, KO Thread, C Lon Beading Thread and S Lon Beading thread...all of these cost between $2 and $3 per spool/bobbin. Or Silamide which you can find in 900 yard cones for less than $10 or the 40 yard cards for $1 to $2. Or you can get Nymo which is the cheapest but it comes with many problems...but it's not too bad for embroidery. If you choose to spring for Fireline, definitely get that in the fishing department and not at a craft store!

Look for Pony brand Beading needles in size 11 or 12...but get the sharps rather than the normal beading needles. These are shorter but stronger and will hold up better for embroidery. Pony needles come in packs of 25 for $2 or less...much cheaper than John James needles. Tulip Beading needles in size 11 would be ideal but they are $5 for 4 needles.

Some other supplies that you will want to get but are not absolutely necessary to get started: E6000 glue which can be found at a Craft store or hardware store. Brass or Aluminum Cuff Blanks and Choker Blanks, Microsuede or Leather for finishing the back of your embroidery...you can buy scraps of this from Leather shops or find it by the yard at Fabric Stores...and  Beading/Embroidery scissors for your thread, not for cutting the backing or the fabric!

I am sure there are some other things you will need as you get more into bead embroidery but this should give you an idea of where to start looking and what to look for.

I also agree with Irene about the book "Dimensional Bead Embroidery"...she has another one called "Beading with Cabochons" that is excellent. Also check out anything by Heidi Kummli and Sherry Serafini.

And there is alot of free info online too! Beading Daily's Facebook page linked to a good bead embroidery site today that has some free eBook chapters etc...once you are on a Blog site about Bead Embroidery just start going through their reading list, you are bound to find other sites and Blogs with good info!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 7:16 PM

I was going to say the same thing CryssT said...you don't have to spend alot of money on supplies but don't get "cheap" supplies or you will have "cheap" beadwork that will not be as nice as you probably want it to be!

Besides, not much is needed to do bead embroidery. You need beads, needles, thread and some sort of material to embroider. Of course once you start buying beads you won't be able to stop but that just goes without saying!

For seed beads I would buy Japanese round seed beads by Miyuki or Toho and Czech seed beads...in sizes 15/0 to size 6/0 as well as Bugle beads, Crystals and other embellishment beads and focal type beads.

For Japanese Seed Beads check out Charlene's Beads and Bello Modo. They both sell them in larger quantities and for better prices than most places...even those with free shipping, which Bello Modo does offer, they just don't have the selection that Charlene's has.

For Czech seed beads try Monsterslayer or Matoska Trading Company. Several Ebay sellers have good prices and selections too. Check out Aura Crystals ...there are others but I don't remember the names! But you have to know what you are looking for and pay close attention to what they are actually selling as well as shipping charges! There are a lot of scammers on Ebay!

Nicole's Bead Backing is a great choice...it comes in 14 colors and several sizes for a good price. You can also use stiffened felt and various types of fabric interfacing. You can even use denim and just cut up an old pair of jeans for free. You really just want something that is not going to fray or stretch and a fabric that will be heavy enough to support your beadwork but not so thick that it's hard to sew through!.

Look for Toho One G Thread, KO Thread, C Lon Beading Thread and S Lon Beading thread...all of these cost between $2 and $3 per spool/bobbin. Or Silamide which you can find in 900 yard cones for less than $10 or the 40 yard cards for $1 to $2. Or you can get Nymo which is the cheapest but it comes with many problems...but it's not too bad for embroidery. If you choose to spring for Fireline, definitely get that in the fishing department and not at a craft store!

Look for Pony brand Beading needles in size 11 or 12...but get the sharps rather than the normal beading needles. These are shorter but stronger and will hold up better for embroidery. Pony needles come in packs of 25 for $2 or less...much cheaper than John James needles. Tulip Beading needles in size 11 would be ideal but they are $5 for 4 needles.

Some other supplies that you will want to get but are not absolutely necessary to get started: E6000 glue which can be found at a Craft store or hardware store. Brass or Aluminum Cuff Blanks and Choker Blanks, Microsuede or Leather for finishing the back of your embroidery...you can buy scraps of this from Leather shops or find it by the yard at Fabric Stores...and Beading/Embroidery scissors for your thread, not for cutting the backing or the fabric!

I am sure there are some other things you will need as you get more into bead embroidery but this should give you an idea of where to start looking and what to look for.

I also agree with Irene about the book "Dimensional Bead Embroidery"...she has another one called "Beading with Cabochons" that is excellent. Also check out anything by Heidi Kummli and Sherry Serafini.

And there is alot of free info online too! Beading Daily's Facebook page linked to a good bead embroidery site today that has some free eBook chapters etc...once you are on a Blog site about Bead Embroidery just start going through their reading list, you are bound to find other sites and Blogs with good info!

Edited to add that I tried to post links for you to all of these shops but this ridiculous forum us still trying to moderate my posts when I include links so I had to remove them! I have just about had it with this nonsense!

Not Ranked
Posts 16
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 12:09 AM

thanks, i just ordered it

Not Ranked
Posts 16
ilovebeads96 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 12:21 AM

thank you very much you guys

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Jan 24, 2012 11:48 AM

Tia,

Just wanted to tell you what a great reply you crafted. Very detailed and spot on with your recommendations. I have also used Nicole's bead backing since I first learned about it last year and it's terrific. No more dying - which I was never very good at!

Thanks,

Paula

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 209
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jan 24, 2012 12:31 PM

Tia, I'd recommend checking out the Beadwork and Jewelry Making forums over at About.com.  Links to your own shops have to be below your signature, but there are no restrictions on links to suppliers. 

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 24, 2012 2:25 PM

Hi Kathy,

I am a member of Beadwork/About.com and I love that site...that's where I learned everything when I started beading! The tutorials and info available there are abundant! I just wish there was more activity in the forums...there was a period of complete inactivity between guides, but Chris is doing a great job with everything. It seems like she really tries to update the site with new posts and info regularly which is great...the activity is picking up again!

This forum just seems to be the busiest one for seed beaders! The B&B forum went straight down the tubes after their latest Site "Upgrade" last summer. That seems to happen every time they make a big change like that...they lose all the regulars and it takes a long time for new members to get it up and running again! And the latest upgrade made it impossible to post in the forums but it took months before they listened and actually did anything about it...and by then everyone was gone!

But a few months ago the Beading Daily forum was hit by a serious spam machine (over 10,000 spam posts in 24 hours) and since then we have been having major problems with some of our own posts being "Held for Moderation" only to never be seen again. But this only happens if we put any links in them.

Many of us have suggested ways to fix the spam problem without these negative consequences to the forum members, but I believe that any and all Forum/Site issues have been left to one person to deal with, and that is a huge workload on top of being the Guide and Editor of this site!

So for now I just deal with it! Usually I just have to paste my message into a new message box and remove all the links...which is fine, but definitely not very efficient! Not to mention that most people are looking for a simple link to click rather than to have to google a name and then find the site etc. It's just nicer to be able to provide those links and share all the hours of research that we have each done in our search for supplies! Hopefully one of these days they will figure out a better system!

Anyways, I tend to talk alot! But thank you for the info, I will definitely check out the Jewelry Making forums on About.com!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 57
gitksanfire wrote
on Jan 24, 2012 7:29 PM

Bead East.com has some awesome free lessons for all sorts of stiching plus you can print them out!  I am not sure if anyone mentioned Beadbeada.com, but I just ordered from them and I found great selections with very reasonable prices.  Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Beadora wrote
on Feb 13, 2012 10:42 PM

Hello I am still learning beading and I frequent my local library for books on beading , that has really helped me. You can keep checking them out and you don't have the extra expense of buying them. I look through the backs of beading magazines and online for upcoming bead shows in my area and go to them for supplies. The bead shows always have great prices on supplies, hope this helps. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 11:10 PM

Just bought this book at my local JoAnn's yesterday with my 50% off coupon. Hope to get a chance to sit down and look it over this week or weekend! 

Great post, by the way!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS