Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Jan 14, 2012 11:49 PM

Stick out tongue

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 554
CryssT wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 12:07 AM

I don't know who moderates or monitors the boards but it would be nice if they checked them around 5pm and 10pm and deleted the spammers.  This latest one is so bad.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 8:28 AM

Well, cow patties and wild onions!  It's definitely stinks around the forum today.  While I have to point out that these things always seem to happen on a weekend or a holiday or some other drastically wrong day in the wee hours of said day, we do seem to need some sort of fail safe to get this garbage off of the forum.  Anti-spam comments on some other thread to take the spam out of the visible main directory is one we can all work on.  I would prefer, however, to have the offending posts (and some of them are definitely offensive) completely removed from the forum.  Does that mean more moderators?  If so, let's get a few more.  And better spam filters?

/Super Angry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 10:31 AM

I haven't seen our moderators on the forum for some time now. I am not sure any of them still show up here anymore. There was Sheila, Pam, Lisa, and Jeni just to mention a few, none of these are regular members anymore.

Wake up Interweave, it is high time you get a handle on the amount of spam that filters through to this forum. I think it is time someone figures a way to get rid of the spammers, or several more of us will be finding other places with less spam to hang out at.

I myself, am here to learn and help others with beading questions. I couldn't care less about someone promoting their own agenda, as far as I care they can fall off the face of the earth, or have their internet taken away from them. I just want them to not be able to post their agenda here. All spammer do, is take away from this sharing forum.

A little over a week ago I was having my post moderated, for what reason I don't know. I wrote to Jennifer, who quickly took care of the problem. She said that for some unknown reason, my account was flagged to be moderated. Now, in my honest opinion, if you can flag my account to moderated, why can't the spammers be flagged. I have reported abuse more times in the past year than I care to count, and I was flagged to be moderated. Like I told Jennifer, I am a charter member, and I have never spammed this site, nor will I in the future, but I read everyday some more spam that gets through, and some repeat offenders. Now how does this happen?

So I say, Interweave, get off your duffs, and flag some real spammers.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 530
on Jan 15, 2012 11:40 AM

Oh Sue, how I wish there was a "like" button. Because I really couldn't have said it better myself.

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 12:53 PM

I don' t know a whole lot about this tech stuff, but seems to me that if you have to be a registered user to post, that there SHOULD be a way to have an account flagged as not able to post based on certain words or something. I mean, obviously, if you LOOK at the titles of those spam postings, they should not even be able to get through! I agree with Sue. And I honestly don't know  what would have gotten you gals' accounts to be "moderated"!!! Maybe the whole system is just not working as it should and they really need to "up the game" to keep up with the technology that keeps these things from happening. I, for one, LOVE this forum and group of people who are always so willing to help each other so we can all keep learning. Would hate to see it go the way of spam. Maybe an account should be "moderated" until there are a certain number of posts?? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 1:29 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself Sue! And you and I both know first hand that they are blocking posts that contain several links in them...we have both had numerous posts "held for moderation" to never be seen again...

This happened to me so many times that I got in the habit of copying my posts so that I could simply paste it back into the message box and remove my links. Those messages always posted immediately, proving that any posts containing several links will be missing forever! Which means that no one is actually moderating those posts! If they were, then they would see that it is a post from a regular member and it is not spam! But that is not what is happening!

In my opinion this is extremely unfair to the regular members of this forum. A couple of months ago several people suggested that I volunteer to be a moderator of the forum since I am here so often and am unemployed so I have the time. I thought about it for a while and when I realized we really didn't have any moderators on the forum anymore, I finally offered to help and Jen said she would set it all up...then the next thing I know, my posts are being "moderated" and I heard nothing else about helping out with moderating the forum.

So I don't know if they just think Sue and I are trouble makers because we speak up loudly sometimes, but all of a sudden both of our posts were being moderated pretty seriously after that major spam attack we had (remember the 10,000 posts in 24 hours?)....but it's very obvious that they need to do something about moderating the real spammers and leaving the real participating members alone!

I have suggested many times that they implement a simple system for all new forum members...if you sign up to be a member, your first 10 posts will be held for moderation before being posted to the forum. But this means that someone has to actually read those first 10 posts and either delete them and block the user by completely deleting their account or accepting them as a non spamming community member and including these 10 posts in the forum. Any one that is spamming will not stick around to have their posts moderated...and if they start a new account, that one would be moderated too. It would really help.

Most forums that I have been a member of have had this type of system in place. To become a member with the privilege of posting in the forums you must prove that you are a human being and not a spammer!

And obviously we have no forum moderators here anymore...none of the members that are moderators have been on this site in many many months...so that leaves Jen who posts very rarely and maybe a few of the editors who never post here. Something needs to be fixed about this.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
AnnieB@25 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 2:46 PM

It's sad.. because this site has a lot of really knowledgeable helpful giving people.. but it gets lost in the spam :(

They do need some volunteer moderators.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 3:46 PM

Well said, all of you. I think that this forum just isn't a priority for anyone at Interweave. The employees probably all have a heavy workload with no particular recognition for the success of the forum.

Maybe if we bombard Jen & the office with complaints about the SPAM along with a request to appoint more moderators, they'll wake up. I think Tia would be a great moderator, as would be some other active members. I started to include Sue (SCB1) here, then realized I don't know that you want to do it! I'd also suggest that Tia (and any future moderators) be given the ability to appoint more moderators. Then if a moderator's forum time becomes limited, they can get a replacement in place without a huge lag in moderation. Here's my suggestion for a petition or individual e-mail requests to Interweave.

Begin with language detailing the problem, frustration, (and loss of membership?) by the SPAMMERS. Make these requests to solve the problem.

1. ASAP set up Tia Dalma and ? as moderators to cope with the SPAM. She/They are both very knowledgeable beaders, and helpful and friendly to everyone on the forum.

2.  Set the software so that Tia (or a volunteer head monitor) has the ability to give other members monitor status.

3. Change the software to have every new member's first 10 posts moderated. That alone will eliminate most spammers, but requires some active moderators.

Years ago, On CompuServe forums, we had enough sysops (moderators) that each of us could take a specific section (or sections) so that nobody had the responsibility to cover the whole forum. Existing sysops discussed future appointments together. If they all agreed, that person was asked to join the "staff". The Wysop (head moderator) could set the software controls to give a member sysop status. We tried to keep enough staff in place that nobody had an exhausting load, and one person could easily cover for another who wanted to take some time away from the forum.

--------------------------------------------

Now that I think of it, maybe a combination of petition and e-mails would work best.  The petition could lay everything out (written by better writers than me) and include the specifics of what we're requesting.  We could also send individual emails.  A brief note like Annie's says it very well.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
untmom2003 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 6:21 PM

I know I haven't been on here as long as you veterans, but I'd be wiling to help moderate if someone told me how to do it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 6:28 PM

I am retired, and have a little extra time, I could do some moderation for the soul pleasure of kicking these A--h----- of of our forums. I pretty much come and spend far more time here than I do beading lately. I would differently spend less time reporting the abuse, I could just give them the old boot!

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 6:42 PM

Hey Ladies, I have a great idea, let's all report every spam. One spammer did 37 posts today, and another 8. So if we all send a report spam in for each of these posts, we should get some attention from someone. Humm, this could be the kind of thing that got me having my account flagged to be moderated in the first place, but I'm okay with it if that is what happens. I won't have to read all this spam sh--.

Anyway, if all of our good members each reported each spam, not just each spammer, but each spam that would be 45 reports by each of us, it might get some attention. Don't  report each spam thinking someone else will, report each and everyone of them. now let me see, if we have 10 people report every spam that will be 450 reports sitting in someone inbox Tuesday morning, when they return to work after the holiday. and if we had 20 members reporting just these 45 spam post that would be 900 reports sitting in someone inbox on Tuesday. Get my drift girls? Send e-mails to friends you know that are members, and we can bombard someones inbox.

S--- I am likely to get more than moderated, for causing a riot, but at this point it can't be much worst than being bombarded by all the darn spam. If I get band from the site, You can always find me at beaders showcase.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 7:02 PM

I cannot express the sheer disappointment that I felt this morning when I logged onto BD and saw that nearly every single 'most recent post' forum page was from this #*^$%# spammer! This is just getting TOTALLY out of hand! 

Sue, I'm all over it! Ima spread like a rash all over this spammer! They shall learn the wrath of the beaders!

DON'T MESS WITH THE BD CREW!!!

Emma
xXx

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 7:12 PM

Listen, if you talk up to them, and they send you an e-mail, don't respond to it, because if you do they will have your e-mail address and they will bombard your e-mail account.

If they send you one e-mail it has to be through BD so they don't have your actual address. So don't panic, just don't answer them, it gives them your address. so play it cool and don't respond to any e-mails from them.

We are at this very moment getting bombarded again, for the one spammer Golden something or another is currently signed in as a member. And she or he is already posting away, for I have just found a new one just posted.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 15, 2012 7:18 PM

Haha! I just responded to GoldensLeddys last post and she signed off and left. I wish it was that easy to get rid of them.

shoot, I need another cup of coffee. LOL I may be up all night chasing these A--Hol-- off.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS