I got some of the new Preciosa Twin Beads

This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 11:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I tried to post this last night but the post still has not appeared in the forum...strange things happening here lately!

Anyways, I ordered a few small tubes of these new Twin beads from Sparkle Spot after Jen blogged about them finally being available in some of the retail stores.

And they came in the mail yesterday...on my Birthday! Yay!

I didn't want to commit to these beads before seeing them in person so I didn't want to order 100 gram bags of them from York Beads...but Sparkle Spot has them in 10 gram tubes for between $2 and $6 and Kandra's Beads has them in 20 gram tubes for between $2.30 and $7.40...

Better prices at Kandra's but I didn't see those until I had already ordered them...and I must say that Sparkle Spot offers excellent customer service. My little tubes of beads came in a pretty organza bag with a hand written note and a little card offering a free gift in their Brick and Mortar store...if I am ever in Florida!

But back to the beads! I got them in Bronze, Black and Crystal. I use Bronze and Black more than any other colors except maybe red and I figured the Crystal color would be perfect for some netted ornament covers! 

These are the cutest little beads I have seen since size 15/0's! I love tiny beads and these Twins are much smaller than I thought they would be! I have a hard time imagining what size something is when it's measured in mm's!

For some reason I imagined them to be a rounder version of Tila beads and I couldn't have been more wrong! The comparison stops at the 2 holes. I love Tila beads but I think these little Twin beads will be more useful in every day weaving because they are closer to the size and shape of round seed beads and because of their softer edges!

Here's a photo of them with a US Penny for scale...I also used some Miyuki Round Seed Beads in 11/0 and 8/0 to show scale:

And here is a close up shot of just the bronze ones:

I just love them...they are so cute! And I can't wait to work with them...I have no idea what I am going to do with them yet but I am excited to play around with them! When we get a new product like this I think it helps to see what works and what doesn't work...so I will share photos of both the good and the bad experiments!

I can't wait to see what everyone else does with these beads!

Happy Beading!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 12:15 PM

Happy Birthday!

Those beads are too cute!  I love the colors you got, they'll make some nice designs.  I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 12:32 PM

Thanks Cat! Arent' they just soo cute! I love em...I hope I get time to just play around with them between all the gift projects I have going on these days!

I do think they will work really well in some netted ornament covers and I was already planning to make some of those for Christmas gifts...so we'll see how it goes!

But yesterday I got a package of 8 matte gold, round glass ornaments yesterday at Michael's. They were on sale at 50 percent off and I used my 50 percent off coupon...so they were $2.25 for the box...not a bad deal at all! And I think the matte gold color will make a nice background for some netted ornament covers!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 3:49 AM

Oooooh! They remind me of Nutrigrain (a cereal - not sure if you guys get it in the states) haha!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR THE OTHER DAY!
I hope you had a FANTASIC day - what am I saying, you got beads on your birthday, of course you had a good day! Wink lol.

Can't wait to see what you make with those beads!

Emma
xXx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 7:12 AM

Happy belated Birthday Tia - hope it was a good one - but hey, it had to have been pretty good if you got new beads in the mail.  I can't wait to see what you make out of those cute little beads!!  Thanks for sharing the pictures - makes it a lot easier for us all to see what they actually look like.   I'm already starting to ponder what I could do with them...hmmmm.

Ricki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
lasexybuda wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 9:12 AM

Happy Birthday Tia

Beautiful and cute bead. Waiting to see your work

Happy beading

Irene from the enchanted Island

Happy beading!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 14, 2011 1:04 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! And yes, getting beads in the mail on my birthday was the coolest thing ever! Haha!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
OriginalSin wrote
on Dec 16, 2011 1:08 PM

Happy Birthday, you!! Cake I hope you had a great one! I'm going to follow your posts on these new beads - I still don't have any because I still don't have news of a European supplier carrying them, but I have my credit card handy for when I do LOL! I'm very curious to see what can be done with these babies, so I can't wait to see the results of your playing around with them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 360
Beading_Sue wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 12:07 PM

Thanks for the update on the twin beads and where you found them. I ordered some from Kandra's  and am excited to work with them/

Happy belated birthday!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 2:25 PM

Thank you Andrea and Sue for the Birthday Wishes!

I am still working furiously on my Christmas beading...we have 4 family birthdays in December too, so that has also added to my work load this month! So much stuff to make...but I am not complaining, it's fun and I love it...I just want to be able to sit down and play with these new beads!

I also got some of the Peanut / Farfalle / Berry beads because I haven't worked with those yet either...so once Christmas is over I will finally get to play! And I can't wait to see what everyone else does with these new Twin beads!

Sue, this was my first time ordering from Sparkle Spot and Kandra's but I have to say...both of them provide excellent service! I love that personal touch when doing business with online stores and both of them were very nice!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dianescards wrote
on Dec 31, 2011 5:55 AM

I went on the Michaels site and couldn't find them!  I live in the UK and we can't get hold of them at all.

One of the magazine here had some as the free gift so have a few and a couple of patterns so now looking to buy some!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 27, 2012 12:55 PM

Preciosa Ornela is giving them away free on their FaceBook page.  I think they send a 20 gram bag.  I'm looking forward to seeing them!  They also have some patterns and example pieces made with the beads.

http://www.facebook.com/PreciosaOrnela

On the left side of the page, there is a TWIN FOR FREE button.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 27, 2012 8:40 PM

Ooh, I got some of those too Liz! And they were a color I didn't already have so that was nice! I think the bag is 10 grams but it's still enough to play around with! I have only had a chance to make 2 things with them so far as I have been so busy catching up with everything else this month!

They add a more organic feel to your work than Tila's or the Czech 2 hole squares because of their shape so they are a little easier to design with...but I really like them so far!

Shipwreck Beads has the best retail prices so far (50 to 100 grams for $4 and up) but they don't have them in stock yet so they are taking pre orders that will ship mid February. But if you want to try them out definitely check out their FB page for the free ones!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 12:03 AM

Vimala, have you used the 2-hole Czechs yet?  I bought a bunch, but haven't had a chance to experiment yet because I am working on two commissioned projects. (one of which I had to rip halfway apart but is now almost done...yay!, and the other I feel like flinging at the wall because they are so beautiful, and then after I finished it, realized that the intended shape is wonky)

The 2-holes look like they are going to be fun and sturdy too, but so far all I've been able to do with them is drool over them.  Smile  Can't wait to see them in a project, whether mine or someone else's.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 786
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 1:07 AM

Cat, I know how you feel! I have been so busy getting caught up with other projects lately that I haven't had much time to play! But the Twin Beads really are so pretty aren't they?!

So far I have only completed one project with them and have 2 others in various stages of progress...and I'm not really sure where I'm going with the WIP's so I will wait to post photos of those!

But here is a simple pair of earrings that I made with them...actually, this is one of the earrings rather than the pair! I had to crop one earring out of the photo due to technical difficulties!

I noticed that all of my photos have been showing a blurry spot in the center and I kept thinking it was glare from the beads but nothing I did with my lighting made it any better...then I finally looked at the lens and noticed a scratch! Now I have to figure out how to get a new lens for my husband's camera before he notices the scratch! But he's in Michigan so he won't know for a while...haha!

I decided to use all Czech beads in these so they have a little more "organic" feel to them...but the Twins were really easy to work with...especially in simple round motifs like this! These worked up really quick...except for the fringe which was fiddly due to the Czech 15/0's!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS